Arrow selection for Barnett Jackal

Discussion in 'Barnett Crossbows' started by Jimmy Ates, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Jimmy Ates

Jimmy Ates New Member

Hello All, I just bought my first crossbow and I must admit Im stoked for the upcoming season. I have been racking my brain on an arrow issue though. I received Beman Thunderbolts (210 gr) w/ moon knock (11 gr), aluminum insert (43 gr) and 4" vanes (10 gr each roughly) so the complete arrow is 294 gr. My question is even when I add my 125 gr tip Im still 6 gr short of the 425gr minimum, is this something I should worry about? Why would they send me these arrows if they wont meet minimum requirements?

Thanks in advance

2. Old Longhair

Old Longhair Crazy Ol' Foole

I'm afraid that you're working with obsolete information.

From Barnett's website:
    When using the Ghost 350, Jackal or Wildcat C5 a 20" carbon shaft with half moon nock is recommended.
    (The total grain weight of the arrow should be about 454.)

Gold tip makes additional weights to add to inserts if necessary.

Personally, I prefer Laser II's w/110gr inserts to start with.

3. Jimmy Ates

Jimmy Ates New Member

@ Old Longhair , yes I seen the 454 total grain weight on the website also , owners manual says 425 minimum....either way I feel I was sent way to lite of an arrow.

4. Corky

Corky Active Member

So, Jesse, which is it, 425 gn or 454 gn?... I've been shooting 425 in my Wildcat C5 for 9-10 months now!

Corky

5. bonedemik

bonedemik New Member

JRA4LSU out of curiosity did you get your Jackal from Vergona outdoors ? Reason I ask is because I got a Jackal package that had Beman Thunderbolts with it.

6. stevinator

stevinator Active Member

What Old Longhair says is what you go by,and I would error heavy before light.

7. gendoc

gendoc Member

we have 3 jackals here and they all have been using 425gr total weight arrows.
    none have any issues and 1 bow has over 1200+ shots thru it.
    we went by the manual and its minimum requirement. i also talked to CS about arrow
    weights last year and was told 425gr minimum.
    at times, we do use heavier arrows when needed for extra hammer effect

8. Corky

Corky Active Member

Try the ACCUSPINES by CAMX with 125 Spitfire heads, give a total weight of a little over 125 gns... see pic, ACCUSPINES shot with Wildcat C5, 25 yds, (hunting distance)

Corky

Attached Files:

9. Old Longhair

It's easier to revise information on a website than it is to recall a few thousand manuals. What is on the website is the latest recommendation by the manufacturer.

And I have no explanation for why you were sent improper arrows, unless it was a package put together by the retailer. My hunting partner bought a PSE bow from a local shop, where they had sold the arrows from his package to another buyer that wanted more of the same arrows as came with the package that they had bought. The ones that they supplied my partner with weren't the right weight either, and I had to build him another set that would be suitable. I guess that some unscrupulous retailers do that sort of stuff, so be aware. The arrows that came with my package (very early in the production) were Barnett branded (CE's I expect). I don't think that Barnett ever shipped their bows with Beeman arrows, but Jessie can tell you for sure.

10. Jimmy Ates

Jimmy Ates New Member

yes sure did.

11. Jimmy Ates

Jimmy Ates New Member

after talking with my local archery shop I decided to try 150 gr which puts me at 445 gr total. going to sight it in tomorrow.

Although when I shot it twice yesterday just too pass a couple I noticed that the serving isnt equally divided when its cocked. The manual says to check the cams and make sure the indicator dots match up equally but there isnt any indicator dots on the cams. Maybe they should have recalled ALL the manuals.

12. gendoc

gendoc Member

all of ours have the dots..... hmmmmmmmmmm :sorry:

13. Old Longhair

The dots are on the top of the cams, on the inward edge where they intersect the limbs.

And it doesn't matter exactly where the serving is centered on the string. What matters is that it doesn't change between cocked and fired. Mark the serving on either side of the barrel with it uncocked, and then when it is cocked the marks should still be equal on both sides of the bow. If they are not, then either the bow is seriously out of time, or you have cocked it unevenly. Many folks use rope cockers or other devices to help insure that their bow is evenly drawn.

14. BigBowMan

BigBowMan Happy Member

Corky you are a brave shooter! LOL After two robin-hoods, I never aim two arrows at the same point. Gets way too expensive to replace arrows. :)

15. Corky

Corky Active Member

BigBow... LOL, yeah, check the other thread... I shot 'em one at a time then reinserted the arrows in their holes so as to avoid "Hooding" any... An ACCUSPINE is way too good to destroy like that -- rather lose it in a hunting situation... ;-)

Corky

16. bonedemik

bonedemik New Member

mine dont have dots either, It was bought as a 2012 package but wondering if I was conned. also noticed serving separation around string where it hooks to cam , is this cause for concern ? Apparrently JRA4LSU purchased from same place , I have only shot mine about 25-30 xs and now getting a little nervous about shooting this thing again.

17. Corky

Corky Active Member

I have serving seperation around right angles of my Wildcat C5 cams... has over 1000 shots and still shooting... change 'em if you like!

Corky

18. barnettxbows400

barnettxbows400 Barnett Representative

Hey guys,

As long as you stay above 400 gns total weight, you will not run into any issues. Hope this helps.

-Jesse

19. bonedemik

bonedemik New Member

Thanks Jesse , I'm relieved