Barnett Vengeance review. Pics welcome!

Discussion in 'Barnett Crossbows' started by 240m3srt, Dec 14, 2012.

1. 240m3srt

240m3srt Active Member

Hi everyone! This is my second crossbow and my first post. Much of my review on the Vengeance is a comparison to the only crossbow im familiar with, the Wildcat C5. Since beginning my research ive always had my eye on the Vengeance, but being new to crossbows i purchased the Wildcat C5 because i thought it would be the best bang for my buck. That lasted for about a month then my champagne taste on a beer budget caught up with me and i still wanted the Vengeance, so i purchased it. Now my $300 Wildcat C5 has really impressed me, and i have a personal rule that has proven true over and over. Once i try to go past about 90% of what im happy with it ends up costing signifigantly more for something just slightly better, the law of diminishing returns you might say. Well i feel that may be what has happened here with the Vengeance, which was almost three times what i paid for the Wildcat C5. First off the weight balance is great, and the visual appearance is awesome! It is quieter than Wildcat C5, and shoots faster. All the online reviews rave about it which is what led me to pull the trigger on the Vengeance. Now for the negative. My first gripe is that when it arrived the pre-assembled bow section had debris all over it almost like someone ran a leaf blower 1 foot away. Second, the instruction addendum that is included states that when attaching the bow to the stock to start the bolt on either hole, which i believe is in response to people having fitment issues with the threads...well i did it the way Barnett recommends and the bolt was so long it indented the inside of the barrel and left a small dimple which im hoping didnt distort the barrel surface in any way:( Next, due to the reverse limb design you cant cock it with your hands, you MUST use the special cocking rope. This is due to the shape of the limbs and how far away the string is. So if your in the woods and you realize you forgot your cocking device its game over until you get your hands on it. The Wildcat C5 you can cock by hand pretty easily even with its heavier(by 10 lbs) draw weight. The length of pull when cocking the Vengeance is really long even with two additional knots that i tied to each handle to help shorten the rope, but what frustrates me most off all is the fact that the cocking device literally scratches the finish off the bow stock in the area where the bolt goes as well as the scope mount, then it binds to where you must push it forward. I do not feel very comfortable doing this because my fingers get dangerously close to the string. Whats worse is that the cocking device has a metal bar that connects the two sides, and almost every time i cock it back the bar hits the plastic piece that holds down the bolt, finally loosening it up so much it would not even hold the bolt down snugly. So now i must remove the scope to adjust this piece but im afraid the issue may reoccur at a very inconvenient time. Also the foot stirrup is loose, and after so many reviews mentioning this i dont see why Barnett doesnt design a new one and send it out to Vengeance owners. Frankly, for this price point im a bit dissapointed. These issues are what id expect from something in the prototype phase. Truth be told, I actually considered the Scorpyd SLP but due to Barnetts reputation and my awesome experience with the Wildcat C5 i gave it a shot. Now im wondering if i really made the best decision and how these issues will pan out.

Attached Files:

2. 240m3srt

240m3srt Active Member

Im working out a few of the kinks mentioned above. Wrapping electrical tape around each side of the stirrup helped take out a bit of the play, but not much. Applying blue loctite to the set screw holding down the arrow retainer helped it hold snug all day. I shortened the cocking rope a total of 3 extra knots(2 on one side, 1 on the other). This will really help someone with short arms accomodate the long pull, plus the sled stays away from the silencers at the beginning. About those little rubber silencers, they popped off the bow after every other shot. They should have used set screws to hold them down, but i think some black rtv silicone or a dab of epoxy might be in store.

Took the Vengeance out target shooting today and bought a chrono to check velocity. Tested 150, 125, and 100 grain points(10 shots each then averaged). Results were 356, 362, and 374 fps. I was impressed. Field point accuracy is great, but my broadheads are planing like crazy, usually to the upper left. I shot muzzy 100's(i know), 125 slick trick magnums, then 150 slick trick crossbow tricks. Tried different alignments with the vanes, but it didnt seem to matter much.

Any suggestions? When people say they get field point accuracy with fixed blade heads do they really mean that?

3. Cereal

Cereal Member

I shoot similar fps

I find only nap nitron broad heads to hold really consistent

4. sz380

sz380 Member

I shoot slick trick standards at 371 with blazers and they shot spi as field tip

5. Peezer123

Peezer123 New Member

240m, hey I'm glad you posted this...I recently purchased the predator CRT and was considering upgrading to the vengeance ...but it seems like I may just stick with my predator seems like there's a lot of issues that need to be ironed out before I make that purchase.

bigmann292 likes this.
  6. speedball

speedball Member

240m, i would give Barnettxbows400 a message on here his name is Jesse he WILL help you address any of the problems your having with the vengence.........

Garry Wiles likes this.
  7. DeadZombie

DeadZombie Member

can you post a picture of the cocking device basically in action? really interested in seeing what it looks like once its cocked, and like you say, stuck.

8. 240m3srt

240m3srt Active Member

Hey guys! Thanks for the replies and advice.

Jesse @ Barnett called and was very helpful. Appearantly im not the only one experienceing these issues, but most people just get used to it. Cocking the bow is starting to become more of a fluid motion, but im still not thrilled with having to push the sled forward because my fingers come so close to the dangerous side of the string. Ill try to take some more pics this week.

9. mrmojorisan

mrmojorisan Active Member

Yeah I talked to Jesse yesterday as well. Honestly moving the sled out of the way doesn't bother me after I cock... but the sled scratching the crap out of my stock really bothers me. He told me he would pass along my concerns but I'm not sure where that is going to get me. I'm not content with just scrathing my bow everytime I cock it so I'm working on modifying a red hot rope cocker that has the rollers to a sled.

10. barnettxbows400

barnettxbows400 Barnett Representative

MRM,

As soon as i get an answer i will let you know.

As far as the foot stirrup having some play in it, we are working on that and as soon as we have the part finished i will let you guys know and have the part on the way for you.

-Jesse

11. mrmojorisan

Thanks... that would be good.

As far as the foot stirrup, mine has the tiniest bit of play in it but I have to grab it and really work it to move, so that's not too big of a deal to me, although it would be nice to eliminate it all together. My vengeance shoots awesome. I love everything about it except for that cocking sled.

12. mathewsxlr8

mathewsxlr8 Member

Welcome to CBN,man Jesse is on the ball guys Thanks Jesse.

13. 240m3srt

240m3srt Active Member

Let me know how that works and post a pic or 2 if you like.

Am i the only one that is bothered by the fact that the Headhunter 22" arrows in the Apex quiver stick out past the cam on one side about 3"? I am going to try and make a custom quiver mount that holds the arrows from front to back at a slightly offset angle. I think this will improve weight distribution too.

14. mrmojorisan

That doesn't bother me since I never keep my quiver mounted to the bow. I have a spot on my pack for that.

In regards to the sled, I've held off on modifying the red hot for a moment. Right now, I'm checking to see if the sled for the Scorpyd bows will work on the Vengeance. They are made of nylon, not metal and costs $50.00. If that doesn't work then I'll go back to changing my red hot.

15. Ventilator

Ventilator Active Member

How wide is the rail on the Vengeance? I'll help if I can.

16. mrmojorisan

I have to measure it when I get home. But I already jumped the gun and ordered one. I have a friend that does plastic welding and fabrication so if I need to modify it I might bring it to him. Thanks for the help

17. Gilles Quenneville

Gilles Quenneville Active Member

I shot a Vengeance and a Scorpyd Ventilator 150. It is the same to compare a Toyota Corolla (Vengeance) to a Porsche Carrera GT (Ventilator).
    The Vengeance is fragile and the Ventilator is strong like a tank at 400 fps and more.

Garry Wiles likes this.
  18. Pyrexia

Pyrexia New Member

Not a good comparrison Giles,the Toyota is a lot more reliable than a Porsche lol

PALLBEARER likes this.
  19. mrmojorisan

Thanks for the posts, but please keep them relevant to the topic. If I wanted a scorpyd I would have bought one. For me, spending $1,700.00 to hunt one month of archery season... well I just couldn't justify it. So far I'm very please with my cheap knock-off. I shoots very smooth, very quiet, and I love the balance. I just wish Barnett would have done a better job with the cocking sled. I think that's pretty crazy to expect the buyers of this bow to be OK with scratching it every time you cock it. I'm not shooting it anymore until I get my cocking sled figured out.

20. DeadZombie

DeadZombie Member

still waiting on a picture of it cocked, with the sled still on... :p

bigmann292 likes this.