Barnett Vengeance review. Pics welcome!

Discussion in 'Barnett Crossbows' started by 240m3srt, Dec 14, 2012.

1. mrmojorisan

mrmojorisan Active Member

I'm curious... what would hooking under the string change?

2. ronaround

ronaround Active Member

and the jeopardy song plays..........

3. 240m3srt

240m3srt Active Member

Just gave this a mock test. The first thing i noticed is that upside down handles make it awkward, but thats an easy fix just remove the rope and flip it around. I was not able to fully cock it due to not being where i can shoot it, but i did pull it 90% up the rail with no problem...of course its that last 10% where the problem occurs. Im uncertain if it will help becuase the scratching comes from the width of the inner circle pieces of the cocking sled, which will not change. I might give it a try this weekend if no one beats me to it. At least a good idea to try before modifying mine.

4. hduplease

hduplease New Member

i have had the vengeance for about 3 months, on the sled i removed the metal bar and cock it, have no scratches, i got the idea from cabelas, when i tested one they used one with out the metal bar and it works great no problems

5. DeadZombie

DeadZombie Member

I personally think it would eliminate any scratches, and when you hook under the string, the majority of the cocking hooks will be on the bottom side.. plus unhooking it would make it feel alot safer to me since you wouldn't be reaching over the top of the string, and that in itself would hinder your view of what your doing.. hooked under...you can see your fingers at all times.. and never really get your fingers in front of the string..

6. Melvin Dotson

Melvin Dotson New Member

hduplease , I will give this a try . Seems like it would work . I will give this a try because I shot mine about 5 times already & it has a small scratch on the right side when looking at it . My neighbor has a big yard so I can get my sights fixed in . Out of the box the sight shoots left & down at about 20 feet a way so at 30 yards it would be way off .

7. AndyC

AndyC Member

Stock scratches would certainly be a concern to me, though string serving separation caused by the hooks is equally alarming! The string contact surfaces definately need a good radius on them.

The crank hook/sled system for this bow really needs to be addressed by Barnett IMO.

8. Melvin Dotson

Melvin Dotson New Member

If you take the bar off of the sled it pulls the 2 hooks together so this does not work . If the bars come together then it can not lock the string .

9. AndyC

AndyC Member

A slightly wider bar would perhaps prevent the scratching, but would then possibly cause problems re string alignment at the catch

10. 240m3srt

240m3srt Active Member

Agreed. I just tried this and it wont work.

I also tried cocking it with the sled under the string and it doesnt work because once you cock it you cant get the rope off because its on the top side of the string and the sled is under the string.

BUCKEYETHAD likes this.
  11. Melvin Dotson

Melvin Dotson New Member

Maybe if they made a slightly smaller metal frame " cocking device " & dipped it in some strong rubber . The rubber would prob leave black "washable marks" on it but I could live with that .

I am dying to shoot my crossbow again but will not . I already have a small scratch & don't want anymore .

12. 240m3srt

240m3srt Active Member

Thats not a bad idea, i was thinking of machining off some material on the sled. Just at the little circle areas on each side of the bar where it binds, and then add back a plastic or delrin type washer on each side where the metal used to contact the stock. Of course a completely redesigned unit would be ideal, preferable abs plastic or similar.

Hope you get to shoot your bow soon :sad: Have you contacted Barnett or what do you plan to do?

13. Melvin Dotson

Melvin Dotson New Member

Barnett called me back but I missed the call . They left a message stating that they were on top of it . He said he has also read my post so they knew what was going on before I called . So hopefully us or barnett can come up with quick fix .

14. DeadZombie

DeadZombie Member

wonder how that parker-roller-rope-cocking-device would fair with you guys

15. Melvin Dotson

Melvin Dotson New Member

Not sure but I'm not buying one . Barnett can send me one for free if it works . I have spent too much already .

BUCKEYETHAD likes this.
  16. 240m3srt

240m3srt Active Member

I hear ya man. Looking forward to Jesses response, he always tries to help us out.

Oh and so much the idea of cutting angles in the current sled. At first i was happy with the finished product but then came the trial test. Upon cocking the angles do reduce the 90 degree radius in my previous pics, but it is not a valid solution because it actually INCREASES binding upon sled removal.

Attached Files:

17. mrmojorisan

mrmojorisan Active Member

My scorpyd sled will be arriving next Monday... I'll be checking it over to see how I need to modify it to fit the vengeance. From the pics I saw from others it doesn't look to bad, but I don't imagine everyone has a buddy that does plastic fabrication, so it may not be an option for everyone.

18. 240m3srt

240m3srt Active Member

Excellent! Let us know how it works and if its that good i wonder if he would make one more? :)

On another note. Does anyone know what size our center serving is on this crossbow? I dont have any calipers and i know thats something i should have invested in by now. If someone can give me a definitive answer i can order my special arrow setup so we can keep up with the Scorpyd guys!

19. 240m3srt

240m3srt Active Member

Due to the long power stroke of this bow the original cocking device was hurting my upper back at full draw. I decided to see what would happen if i removed the long rope and modifed it to where it cocks manually with no additional leverage. I LOVE IT!!! Technically its a heavier pull but its actually faster, easier and less fatiguing for me, as i am short and stocky. It signifigantly changes the muscles you use to draw, so if you have arms like Popeye but not such a great back you might give it a try.

Attached Files:

20. n2gpn2

n2gpn2 New Member

I am hoping Barnett comes up with a better cocking device. I just got my Vengeance and haven't had the opportunity to shoot it, so luckily no scratches. I also have a Parker bow and tried the Red Hot roller cocking rope. It sort of works, but you have to be careful because the rollers tend to roll over the top of the barrel then you have the same issue of them coming together so the string won't latch in the cocked position. Additionally, the portion of the stock that is getting scratched by the sled interferes with the rollers on the Red Hot device. Not the ultimate solution. I, too, will not shoot my bow until I can find a solution as I don't like my brand new bow to be scratched up everytime I cock it.

I also noticed the ill-fitting foot stirrup. While I know it if secured to the bow, the fact that it wiggles makes it seem cheap. I expect tighter tolerances throughout the entire bow!!! I may try the electrical tape trick, but that only adds to my thoughts of "cheap stuff"......

Let us know Jesse...we are eagerly awaiting solutions!!!!