Barnett Vengeance review. Pics welcome!

Discussion in 'Barnett Crossbows' started by 240m3srt, Dec 14, 2012.

1. 240m3srt

240m3srt Active Member

I hear ya man. Hopefully Barnett makes a better sled and sends it out at no charge...but im not holding my breath:/ I hope you guys arent waiting forever to shoot your bows but i sure do applaud your willpower.

BUCKEYETHAD likes this.
  2. 240m3srt

240m3srt Active Member

Tackled another DIY project this weekend. The Vengeance sideways mounted quiver has always bugged me due to the front end weight bias coupled with the fact that you cannot adjust the arrows to where they are flush to the width of the bow...one side always sticks out 3". So i made a simple bracket that allows the quiver to be mounted semi-parallel with the stock, while still retaining the magnetic quick detach feature. It is lightweight and cheap, and retains the balance of the bow while not exceeding the length/width. After taking the photos i added a slight upward angle to the bracket which allows the arrows to be closer to the riser and thus more compact, while at the same time actually increasing clearance from the foregrip. In the rear view pic it looks like the arrows stick out further than they really do. In reality they are about 2" further in than the cam on that side. I'll eventually finish it off with black spraycan truck bed liner(love that stuff!) so it looks nice and factory.

Attached Files:

Gene Carroll likes this.
  3. mrmojorisan

mrmojorisan Active Member

I know Jesse doesn't own the company and there is only so much he can do, but I think if everyone continues to post about this cocking sled and the more consumers see this issue, hopefully there will be a resolution. My scorpyd sled should arrive today. I'm going to try and get it modified this week (if possible) and I'll post my findings.

4. mrmojorisan

Nice job... I'm sure it'll look good once it's painted. I'd like something like that myself, however I never keep my quiver mounted... it's always attached to my pack hanging from my stand

BUCKEYETHAD likes this.
  5. mrmojorisan

I have a red hot, but since the rope is too short I haven't tried to cock with it. I will say I used one on my ghost (same stock) and the rollers did "flare" out a little bit when you cock it, but that wasn't a problem to me. I didn't notice any scratching or problems with the accuracy. I was holding on to my red hot. If I can't modify the scorpyd sled to work, my next solution was to use a thin piece of black star board to create a stirrup/connecting piece to keep the hooks together so they don't come up and over the rail. Also the star board should have some give to it so when it reaches the top, the rollers will be able to flex out over the stock. I was getting ready to do this first, but after seeing the scorpyd sled, I think I have a decent idea of what it will take to make that one work and I think it will be easier.

6. 240m3srt

240m3srt Active Member

I keep thinking it'll dawn on me, but what is this star board you are referring too?

mrmojorisan...you not setup to receive PM's?

7. mrmojorisan

I dont know why not. Starboard is a plastic composite. Sled didnt arrive today for some reason.

8. mrmojorisan

Got my sled in today... I'll check it out tonight. I'm not sure why my PM's don't work

9. Melvin Dotson

Melvin Dotson New Member

I believe that the scratches come from these 2 round pieces .

Attached Files:

10. mrmojorisan

up above the dry fire yes... but down below on the stock no... the stock is being scratched from the metal hooks

BUCKEYETHAD likes this.
  11. mrmojorisan

Ok... I admit I feel like a total retard for not thinking about this earlier. What if we just took some felt to the inside faces of the hooks and some shrink tube to the bar? Ya think that might eliminate the scratching? LOL

Again, we should not be the ones solving this problem, but whatever.

12. 240m3srt

240m3srt Active Member

I tend to agree with monkeyboogers it seems that those two round pieces he circled in the picture are the issue with the scratched stock. I too have scratches on my dryfire/scope mount base but i was not even gonna mention that:/

Excellent idea on the heat shrink tubing for the bar, that had actually crossed my mind at one point. As far as the felt im thinking your refering to the stuff that is sticky on one side, thats neat stuff but i think the forces of the cocking lever would just shred right through it.

And i agree we should not have to do this LOL, but at least it will help to every Vengeance owner from here forward. I tell ya i keep tossing around the idea of the Scorpyd Telson or Ventilator, but i feel like i should stick it out with this bow a bit longer. Who knows that the Scorpyd wont have its "quirks" too.

BUCKEYETHAD likes this.
  13. 240m3srt

240m3srt Active Member

While im thinking about it after a few shots your rubber string supressors are gonna fall off. Epoxy works well on keeping them on without resorting to screws or zip-ties. Just scuff up the mount with a scotchbrite pad and clean with alcohol, also maybe try drilling a small hole in the tip of the silencers or the epoxy will trap air and might pop on you.

Another question for those who have put a few rounds through this bow. I am noticing some black residue specs in the scope. At first i thought it was probably just from the string hitting the silencers and ill just wipe off the surface. Then after wiping the front and rear lens i realize it looks like the specs are actually inside the scope...WTF! Also im not even sure the crosshair in my scope is flush on the inside, it looks a bit tilted compared to the outer housing. Anyone else having this issue? Might be time to try that new smaller Hawk scope they came out with. Darn, and i just got everything sighted in nicely at 20, 30, 40, 50 yd haha!

14. mrmojorisan

I had the same scope on my ghost and never had that issue. I'd send the scope back. I haven't had an issue with the string stops but you probably have shot yours more. I saw the horton fury had that same problem. I looked at my scorpyd sled last night and it looks like it will work after I trim a little out of the channel on the top and bottom. I'm going to do it on my table saw and I'll take a few pictures. I'll do it tonight if I have time to go get the right blade, but it looks pretty simple.

15. Gilles Quenneville

Gilles Quenneville Active Member

Wish you the best guys.

16. 240m3srt

240m3srt Active Member

Looking forward to your pics and results!

17. mrmojorisan

actually, I decided to try a fury cocking sled first. My buddy has one.

18. Gilles Quenneville

Gilles Quenneville Active Member

Hope you the best guys. Unbelievable you have to deal with this.

19. 240m3srt

240m3srt Active Member

I agree with you, but at least Jesse at Barnett answers my PM's like clockwork. Ive been waiting 7 days now on a reply from Rex@Scorpyd on how to secure a spot for the $1500 Velocity xbow, and 27 days for a reply regarding SLP 165 dimensions. Add to that the fact that their website is lacking on both accuracy and technical info. Even with the ATA show that just occured Barnett manages to reply to my PM's. Will i even hear from Scorpyd when i have a problem? Based on my current experience im not so sure. They need to improve customer service. Hire assistants off Craiglist for $8/hr to follow up if need be, its not hard:/ Unfortunately those who create great products dont always know how to run a business. Client relationships create repeat and referrals. Thats why i have stuck it out with my Barnett Vengeance this far.

wolverine1 likes this.
  20. AndyC

AndyC Member

I agree.

Even though, to my knowlege, dealing with this sort of stuff is part of Jesses job, I can't help but feel a little sorry for him and the unneccessary BS he has to put up with.
    I hope for Barnett as a company, that the design and engineering dept are informed of these problems and bought to account.

It's all good that your "being taken care of by Barnett" after the fact, but why was such an obvious fault not discovered before the bow was launched on the public?

This cocking hook problem and wobble issues associated with the foot stirrup are basic design and/or manufacturing flaws in a crossbow that seems an otherwise good unit. I can't believe these simple, "no brainers" were not realised in R&D.