Barnett Vengeance review. Pics welcome!

Discussion in 'Barnett Crossbows' started by 240m3srt, Dec 14, 2012.

1. mrmojorisan

mrmojorisan Active Member

I sent customer service an email through the website to see if they are looking into this cocking sled problem but haven't heard back. I haven't called Jesse cause I know he's been at the ATA. What have you heard? The foot stirrup, I've already been told they are making a part for, however the fix is so easy I'm not worried about it... plus it's not much of an issue on mine. The scratching on the stock is my concern.

Melvin Dotson likes this.
  2. Melvin Dotson

Melvin Dotson New Member

I'm with you mrmojorisan . I'm just worried about the scratching part & the tension on the string from the cocker .

3. 240m3srt

240m3srt Active Member

Agreed 100%.

4. 240m3srt

240m3srt Active Member

I have been calling them and leaving messages, their entire staff will know me soon enough hahaha!

The last i heard about the foot stirrup fix was the post that Jesse made.

Im curious to see what they say about your email on the cocking sled. After Jesse and i talked he went out and shot the Vengeance and said he knew exactly what i was referring to regarding the binding.

How did your test of the sled work out? Cant remember but you either went Red Hot or Scorpyd and were gonna have it modified.

5. 240m3srt

240m3srt Active Member

How is your guys accuracy with field points and the factory supplied Headhunter arrows at distances like 50 yards? Out of about 12 Headhunter arrows i have 2 that group similarly with 100 grain points(1.5-2.0" groups @ 50yd).

I have some new arrows built by Dorge at Aerovane/Firenock and gonna see if i can get all 3 to group sub 1/2" @ 50yd.

Attached Files:

6. firenock

firenock Active Member

I take a closer look at the Barnett Vengeance at ATA and this is my believe and finding. It is a good design as it is license form Scorpyd for its reverse draw. The anti-dry fire will prevent any full containment be used. That curve extend the back of the anti-dry fire system need to be redesign in order for any nock beside a half moon to work. I also notice that the string is not hitting the center of the arrow. And there is quite a bit of down pressure on the bow. The string is hitting about 1/8" lower than the center of the arrow, which may contribute to a lot on inaccuracy that some are encountering. With this design, I do not see extreme accuracy even with the best arrow, like the Aerobolt II I built. I think the limit is about 50 yards at 2-3 inches group if lucky as the string is going to hit the nock and force up the arrow which can be different every time. Some minor nock tuning can be done, but there is limit to that. I would say for the money, it is a great bow to hunt under 45 yard for it will do it job for sure.

Gilles Quenneville likes this.
  7. Gilles Quenneville

Gilles Quenneville Active Member

Very nice arrows. Very accurate.

8. Larz12

Larz12 New Member

X2

9. mrmojorisan

Nice looking arrows... let me know how they work

10. Melvin Dotson

Melvin Dotson New Member

What about those gloves that you use on the bows that hold the string for you ? Would that work for pulling the string back ? Two of them of course .

11. 240m3srt

240m3srt Active Member

Finally got some time to shoot for a good 5hrs with nice weather out. The arrows seem really good so far, very sensitive to nock tuning though. On that note i should mention i keep waiting for the firenocks to fail, flicker, or stop doing what they are supposed to but they just keep working perfectly. Now about the accuracy, i have got them shooting pretty nicely at 20, 30, 40 yard mark but at 50 they drop about 3". I was still able to group what i estimate is 1-1.5" @ 50 yards. But im a little stumped on how to accomodate dialing in the scope for the excessive drop. I am wondering if i should consider a new scope like Hawke 1.5-5x32 MAP or similar, or if that will even make a difference. Unfortunately i damaged some vanes towards the end of my shooting session it was getting dark and i was getting fatigued. I coulda sworn i shot two different spots at 50 yards but now im not so sure. Gonna have to send them back to Dorge for refletching. Below are pics for 20, 30, 40, 50 yard, and 50 yard with arrows touching. BTW this target has been great for field points, its the Bonecollector from Morell available at Cabelas for $71, recommended by a member here as the next best alternative to the expensive $150-200 Spyder target. Super easy arrow removal but need to rotate the target and not shoot same spot repeatedly as the over penetration took off one of my fletchings. Last thing i learned today, i dont see any downward string pressure on Vengeance like some other Barnetts have. I applied rail lube in 3 different spots on the rail(front, center, rear) and the lube was never even contacted by the string. Add to the fact that the only part where arrow touches rail is the very centermost part and im going to conclude there is no reason for rail lube on Vengeance. Open for suggestions as usual. ;)

Attached Files:

12. Gilles Quenneville

3 inches drop at 50 yards ?

13. barnettxbows400

barnettxbows400 Barnett Representative

Hey guys,

Just to let everyone know, Jesse has been out of the office for the last 2+ weeks attending all the shows. He will be out the rest of this week as well. My name is Jake, I work here in the Sales department with Jesse at Barnett.

I have been reading and talking to customers about the problems that you all seem to be having with the sled on the rope cocking device, as well as the foot stirrup. I have brought these issues directly to my engineering department and supervisors and they are currently adrressing the problems. If any of these issues are directly affecting the performance of your bow please contact us at 727-234-4999 and we will correct the issue. However, being that these issues are mostly cosmetic, all I can say as of now is to hold tight as we develope a fix for this.

That being said, as soon as I have more infromation on the issue I will let everyone know what can be done. Again, if you would like to talk further about this issue with me PM me and I will give you my direct contact information, or you can call our general customer service line at the number mentioned above.

~Jake

14. Melvin Dotson

Melvin Dotson New Member

15. Gilles Quenneville

Good news for you guys. Bravo Barnett.

16. VTxbowhunter

VTxbowhunter Active Member

Is there any way to teflon coat or apply teflon strips to the cocking sled, similar to what Barnett uses on the guide channel for the tension cables? I'll wait to purchase my new Vengeance. The scratches seem to be caused from manufacturer error and not only should they fix the issue at hand they should replace your scratched stock. I know for myself I have a hard enough time keeping my equipment new and scratch free walking in and out of the woods or raising or lowering my equipment in and out of my treestand.

17. mrmojorisan

Good to see you guys are addressing the situation. Please don't let this go to the back burner. I love my Vengeance but can't bring myself to shoot it knowing I'm scratching it every time I cock it. It's a good looking crossbow and I'm a bit anal about my guns and bows

Thanks

BUCKEYETHAD likes this.
  18. 240m3srt

240m3srt Active Member

Ill try and clarify. The scope that is included with the bow has 4 crosshairs(technically small circles in the center of each crosshair). The important thing is that they are evenly spaced apart horizontally. This seems to be fine for 20 and 30, but as you can see in the pics just a bit low at 40, and at 50 yd the point of impact is around 3" too low. I took a close look at the Hawke scope reticles on their website and it appears that each crosshair is spaced just a little bit further apart than the previous one, so im assuming this is to account for increased arrow drop at increased distances. I went ahead and purchased the xb1 to see if this theory is correct.

http://www.hawkeopti...15-5x32-sr.html

19. Gilles Quenneville

Clear enough 240.

20. VTxbowhunter

VTxbowhunter Active Member

This is the main issue I have had in the past with the scopes provided by Barnett. Years back I had a Rhino shooting 280 fps +/-, I upgraded to the Predator AVI shooting 375 fps, about 4-5 years ago and it had the same exact scope. With the Rhino I wouldn't shoot past 40 yards so the spacing didn't matter. With the Predator it is not a stretch to ethically shoot out to 60 yards, this is where the spacing of the cross hairs comes into play. I put a Truglo scope on my predator that is calibrated for bows with different speeds by increasing or decreasing magnification, exactly the same as the Hawke. The crosshairs are also NOT evenly spaced as the Barnett stock scopes appear to be, or at least used to be, it has been 5 years since I purchased a stock Barnett Scope. I have already purchased a Hawke to put on whatever bow I eventually decide to purchase, their free software is great for figuring out what magnification to set it on for your bow speed. 3.6 magnification for 365 fps with a scope height of 2" from rail to center of scope.