Barnett Vengeance review. Pics welcome!

Discussion in 'Barnett Crossbows' started by 240m3srt, Dec 14, 2012.

1. 240m3srt

240m3srt Active Member

I put about 100 shots through the Hawke SR. Im not convinced about the speed selector. All it seems to do is change the focus of the scope just like the Barnett scope does. Also i couldnt figure out how to use their software as i downloaded the graph and was just confused with all the options. I did have it adjusted to 3.6 as you mentioned. When mounted with the 1" rings that the Barnett scope comes with the center of the scope is actually 2 3/8" above the rail, not sure if that matters though.

With both the stock Barnett scope as well as the Hawke scope i dont think they are holding their zero as far as elevation is concerned. Im going to test this theory more before i can confirm, but an article i read on opticsplanet mentioned this exact issue regarding the more "economical" scopes. It said they have to be shot multiple times or you can tap on them to settle in the reticle after each adjustment. I tell ya, its always something lol.

ranko likes this.
  2. Gilles Quenneville

Gilles Quenneville Active Member

You will never hit the target at the same spot if you change magnification on your scope. Make some test and you will see what I mean. And some arrows fly different than others even if they have the same speed out of the crossbow.

3. Gilles Quenneville

On the software,,,,,At the top menu you preset for crossbow and choose the scope. It will automatically fix the scope elevation point from the rail.

4. VTxbowhunter

VTxbowhunter Active Member

It is always something I agree....there are so many factors that play into being accurate and consistent. keep tuning it. A little disappointed about your opinion on the Hawke scope and software since I have one sitting in my hunting supplys waiting to be installed on a new crossbow. I may have to break down and install it on my predator and see what it can do.

I entered your info into the Hawke software and it still says a magnification of 3.6. I know its obvious but are your bolts, fletching, points, etc. all the same? spint test the bolts? I usually number my bolts 1-whatever with a sharpie on the fletching to weed out erratic bolts.

5. 240m3srt

240m3srt Active Member

Interesting, i wasnt aware of this and am not sure how one is supposed to sight in the scope and focus it as they move back if the POI is going to constantly change. Also, is the "speed selector" on this scope nothing more than a "focus" found on every other adjustable scope?

I have input the xb1 zero'd at 20yd with 2 3/8 scope height at 365 fps. I dont know what BC Value G1 means, or why magnification defaults to 1.6 on the screen. If you look at the center of the screen there is a box on the left with the reticles pictured. Below it reads dia: 1.65" 42mm...not sure what this is referring to. Next to it on the right is a similar box with near ranges to the left of the reticle and far ranges to the right...these values are all over the place and do not seem to represent the 20, 30, 40, 50yd ranges i expected to see.

And im still confused about the relation between speed selection and magnification. There is only one adjustment on this scope that appears to do both at once. I feel like there should be more detailed instructions, as none came with the scope, and so far this one page is all i have found:
    http://www.hawkeoptics.com/brc.html

I like your thought process, thats exactly what i did. Actually i was using the headhunter arrows since Dorge was repairing the fletching on my Aerobolts. Now on a sidenote no matter what i will have to adjust the scope as the Aerobolts fly completely different. However i did mark the headhunter arrows 1, 2, and 3, and determined that while they do NOT fly consistently to each other they DO fly very consistently on an arrow to arrow basis, to the extent that i simply started sighting in the scope with one arrow. Hopefully by this weekend i will have the Aerobolts back.

Attached Files:

6. VTxbowhunter

Some more thoughts:
    Barnett speed ratings are based on using a 400gr bolt, if your bolt is heavier your speed will be slower than 365fps making your input into the hawke software skewed.

The speed selector is simply the magnification. Lower magnification gives the appearance of more spread between crosshairs compensating for more drop in a slower bow. The opposite applies for higher magnification. My Leupold ultimate slam muzzleloader scope works exactly the same.

You can try this:
    Zero out at 20 yards (top crosshairs). With a bigger target move it out to 40 yards. Using your 20 yard crosshairs aim for a recognizable point on the top of the target. Obviously your shot will hit lower than you were aiming. Hold the 20 yard crosshairs on the point you were aiming for and at the same time adjust the magnification so your 40 yard crosshairs lines up with the bolt you just shot into the target.
    I did this at the range with my muzzleloader, yes everyone laughed when I showed up with 3'x4' targets, but when I was grouping 3" shots at 200 yards with a smoke pole the only thing I could hear was "KAPOW!"

Good luck!

7. Gilles Quenneville

The Parker software is more for arrow flight compensation drops.

I cannot use it because I am on a Mac :-(

http://parkerbows.com/rhadc.html

8. crappie-tom

crappie-tom Well-Known Member

9. Gilles Quenneville

Take a look at this short video here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYQr2RnlDd0&feature=player_detailpage
    This is maybe a reason why The Vengeance have some trouble with the string serving.

10. 240m3srt

240m3srt Active Member

I verified via through my chronograph that my arrow speed avgerages 369fps with a high and low of 365 and 372. This is with a 438 grain Aerobolt II and includes the firenock/battery/100gr point. FWIW, the Headhunters weigh 433 grains and fly just a tad bit faster but the balance is different and they dont rotate the same.

Excellent point regarding the crosshairs spreading in relation to magnification i didnt even consider that.
    Great link! Thats new to me. So if im understanding correctly i need to adjust magnification until accuracy is as close as i can get it at all ranges...then dont touch it?

Actually the Vengeance has the same clearance as Scorpyd. Regarding my very first post about the marks on the string...Barnett informed me that they put the bows on a device to verify proper draw weight and cam timing, and that where the 2 little indentions came from.

11. VTxbowhunter

Cam timing!

Thank you CBN! Never heard of it before or how to fix it. Always paid attention to my cams and if they were off compared to each other. Never knew how to fix it. Tried an experiment in my basement last night (10 yards) shot and marked holes before timing cams. Two full twists to one tension cable and cams were timed. The shots were 3.5" left of the shots before timing at 10 yards! I now have equal adjustment left to right on my scope and I am sure my long range accuracy will be greatly improved.

Thanks to CBN and its users!

12. 240m3srt

240m3srt Active Member

I dont quite follow. Did u remove the cables, twist them then reinstall on the cams, meaning you used a bow press? Im unfamiliar with how to change cam timing but would like to learn. Amazing that could throw off your arrows by 3.5" at 10 yards!

Speaking of bow press heres something you guys might like to change your strings and cables, scroll down to post #50.
    http://www.crossbownation.com/forum/topic/23472-portable-crossbow-press/page__st__40#entry234565

13. VTxbowhunter

Yes I have a bow press that I made myself. I took one tension cable off (on one side) twisted two full turns and reinstalled. I then verified that the cams were in identical positions when the bow was relaxed and cocked. From what I understand cams that aren't timed can cause arrows to "fish tail" before the arrow corrects itself in flight. If this is true, both accuracy and speed would be affected.

14. BUCKEYETHAD

BUCKEYETHAD New Member

I own the Vengeance. And....right out of the box...looked like someone had taken a leaf blower to it at about 5 yards away. Truly amazed at how much "stuff" was on the bow. Getting past that...it took me an hour and a half to assemble the bow. Could NOT get the riser attached to the frame -- the bolt holes would not line up. I called Barnett Customer Service, the lady was nice and tried to be helpful...still no avail. She said she'd have a technician call me the next day - gave her my phone number - didn't happen. NOT happy with customer service. Anyway...i finally got it together (cost me a night in the woods though because of 1.5 hours assembly time. IF Barnett offered the option of fully assembled for an extra $50....I would have gone that route. Maybe fully assembled and test fired with C.O.A. included - would be nice!!!) Anyway....shot two bolts....MISSED the block from 20 yards on BOTH. Arrows both hit the rock wall behind the target and exploded. TWO carbon bolts lost right off the bat. Took bow to local dealer and he diagnosed the scope as being bad. Barnett is to send a replacement. That was a week ago - no scope yet. I DID get some replacement bolts from Barnett...and a new cocking device because the string on the first one frayed after only 6 times cocking the bow. It was the wrong cocker...so still waiting on that. All in all....it's been almost two weeks now...I don't have the right cocking device...don't have a scope that works. I dunno. Maybe I should have kept my Ten Point, even though it was 7 years old...it shot straight enough to kill two squirrels while waiting for the deer to come around!! NOT too happy with having to work things out with a bow that is new...right out of the box. I HATE the cocking device. WHY would you make the piece that slides up the rail out of METAL???? Metal on metal does not get it. What's wrong with a super tough plastic? At least it would not scratch the rail. I am thinking about dis-assemblying mine and slipping a piece of rubber tubing over the metal piece. Maybe that will work. Or at least hard plastic slipped over it. And, while I am complaining....why not FINISH the end of the front grip? It's OPEN. I pay $900 for a grip that isn't even finished? What would it cost? $.25? Would look a whole lot better. (IMO) Also...Horton, has a SUPER nice feature on the bottom of their stock. You know where the cheesy serial number is on the Vengeance....Horton has a REAL nice round HORTON FAMILY OF BOWS end cap there. SUPER SHARP!!! And their name on the side of the bow is super nice too!! There is some GOLD trim in it. Listen....if you pay $900 for a bow.....DRESS IT UP A BIT.....Barnett. So...when you guys make your own cap that will go where the serial number is....send me one. At least I gave you an idea on it and also on finishing the end of the front grip. And another thing...I don't like the front grip. Give me a real nice grip like is on the Ghost 400 and I would be a happy camper. STATIONARY. Makes no noise. (mine does cause it's made to swivel - -we don't need noise in the woods. And besides...the front grip is CHEAP. Once again....NOT a "value item" at the $900 price range. So.....get rid of the metal in your cocking device....come up with a nice stock cap...remove the wiggle from the foot strap...make it easier to assemble...dress up the Barnett name tags...put the serial number somewhere where it won't rub off after a few years of use...maybe TEST each bow before you ship it to make sure EVERYTHING works (ie; scope) and Barnett might start getting better reviews. On a positive note...the three times I HAVE shot the bow in the past two weeks....I LOVED it. Pretty quiet compared to the Predator that I used to have (now...THAT bow screamed...but it was TOO DANGED HEAVY!!!) Anyway...the Vengeance is probably going to be a great bow. I can't wait to be able to shoot it!!!!

Gilles Quenneville likes this.
  15. BUCKEYETHAD

BUCKEYETHAD New Member

A standard cocking device WILL NOT work. The angle you have to pull will not allow a standard cocking device to be used. I tried it and broke the bolt retainer. (BTW...it's made of PLASTIC so it WILL break. That is the way it is designed. When mine broke...I called Barnett and they explained it is cheaper to replace the bolt retainer than it is to replace the trigger mechanism!!! SO....plastic it is. But you can ONLY use the cocking system that has the metal rod in the middle - it gives you the ONLY way to cock the Vengeance.

16. barnettxbows400

barnettxbows400 Barnett Representative

Thad,

Give me a call at 800-237-4507 so that we can adress the issues that you have presented.

Thank you,
    Jesse

17. wind walker

wind walker Active Member

18. 240m3srt

240m3srt Active Member

By no means trying to break any rules but members interested in this thread may choose to check out the "marketplace section" from time to time as you never know what will pop up. ;)

19. mrmojorisan

mrmojorisan Active Member

You going to sell yours?

20. 240m3srt

240m3srt Active Member

Sold it in less than 1 day on CL brother!

I did receive a few messages about my final thoughts and why i was selling it. Even knowing what i know now, if i were in the market for another bow in the same price range i would buy it again with zero hesitation. It also taught me that im a reverse draw fan for life, as the performance is on par with everything else if not better, and nothing can compare to its weight distribution. As you might have guessed i have something else on the way. I wanted a 400fps reverse draw with similar dimensions to Vengeance, as wells as a trigger safety that accomodated the full capture nock like Q-nocks, plus the ability to duplicate the exact setups that work for the hardcore guys shooting accurate 70yd + spots. Scorpyd Ventillator filled the position.

If i needed a backup bow i would have kept the Vengeance, but in my current position i was better off applying the funds towards the new one. Suffice it to say im a Barnett fan. If they make a Vengeance V2 or "Revenge" or something like that i might be back (royalties for the names perhaps, yea right lol). :laugh: