Center Point Tormentor 370

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by semperfi1970, Nov 22, 2015.

1. semperfi1970

semperfi1970 Member

I picked up a new crossbow Friday and decided to throw together a small review on it. The bow is a Center Point Tormentor 370. The bow came as a package with everything you need to start shooting. Included was the crossbow, rope cocker, 4x32 scope, quiver, three 20" carbon arrows (they look to be Victory x bolts), rail lube, all tools needed and a sling. It came well packaged in a rather small box with nice graphics, not that it means anything.

I found the bow on the Crosman web sight for $499 and couldn't help myself, so I ordered one. Back in 2011 I had purchased a Center Point Teton that is still going strong so I figured why not get a new Center Point crossbow as I like the first one so much. With the customer service I have received over the years with Crosman I knew there was no worries with buying this bow.

Upon opening the box I was very impressed with the quality of the bow, as I assembled it things just got better. The folks at Crosman must have done some thinking over the few years of being out of the crossbow business. This thing is night and day in design and quality from the days of the Teton, Bristol and the funny looking Hex of years past. The old Center Point crossbows were good bows so don't get me wrong, they were on par with any crossbow out there in the $300 to $400 range. This new Tormentor 370 is on par with bows costing two and even three times the money I paid. Looking at my bows I paid well over $1,000 for I start to wonder what I was thinking. Well going back 10 years or even 5 years ago bows like the Tormentor did not exist at its price range so I will get over it.

The bow is compact, actually its to say the least small. It is 35.5" long, 18" uncocked and 14" cocked. They claim it is 7.8 pounds, that must be with the quiver and front hand hold on it because mine comes in at 7.3 pounds. Looking at the short little limbs I was amazed that it is 185 pound draw and 370 FPS because it is so small and light. The metal work is very finished and well thought out. The only plastic on this bow is the stock that funny enough looks like machined aluminum not plastic. The bow attached to the stock with three machine bolts and all metal to metal not metal to plastic like on so many other bows.

With the bow assembled minus the quiver and front fore grip (use the front grip as it is designed to keep your fingers out of the string path) the bow is very balanced and pulls to the shoulder naturally. I chose not to use the supplied fore grip as I did not like it. Not because it didn't feel good at hold but rather because it adds weight and there is a wide hand shroud below the rail to keep your fingers out of the string. With the fore grip removed there is a very long weaver rail to bolt on flashlights or bipods. Being a bull pup stock design I was pleased with the hold and maneuverability of the bow. It will make a great tree stand and blind bow because of its overall size. Cocking the bow is a breeze as it is short and there is no reaching around the bow to set the cocker hooks. I bet I could cock it sitting in a tree stand, well maybe not but its easy none the less.

Claimed speed is "up to 370 FPS" but not with the supplied arrows as I got an average of 361 FPS with the three 20" arrows that came with the bow. With Gold Tip laser II arrows tipping the scale at 291 grains the bow came in at 374 FPS. Shooting my arrow of choice ( Gold Tip laser IV at 22" tipping the scale at 518 grains) the bow achieved an impressive 341 FPS and 133 foot pounds KE. As with all crossbows the heavier the arrow the quieter they shoot, with the Laser IV's the bow has a very quiet thump. With the Laser II's it is just a tad louder and the supplied arrows it was somewhere in-between. To give a noise comparison the Tormentor 370 is almost half as loud as my Ten Point Titan and Barnett Predator. Three times quieter than the old Teton and Excalibur Vortex. This comparison is with using the same arrows and sorry no decibel meter just my ears.

The trigger is predictable with a very smooth 3/16th of an inch take up and a very sharp clean brake. The trigger is a cross between the Barnett rolling trigger (Minus the sloppy feel and huge take-up) and a Ten Point trigger. It has a anti dry fire mechanism that will lend its self well to my forgetfulness. A Middleton trigger it is not, wish it was.

Best accuracy was found with the heavier Laser IV arrows. Sighted in at 30 yards it will drop arrows in a nickel sized area all day long. So far the bow repeats shot to shot and with around 200 shots on the bow the trigger still feels like the first time I pulled it not gaining any slop side to side.

Overall the new Center Point bow in my opinion is in a class of bows costing many times more. Owning a few high end bows over the years I do know the cost of quality. If Crosman is serious about entering back into the crossbow market the Tormentor 370 sure is a great start. I will give updates as I shoot and play with the new bow.

Attached Files:

Stalker, Old Longhair and PHANTOM 309 like this.
  2. xbow joe

xbow joe Member

Nice write up. Is the safety automatic? Silent? Any serving wear? What nake scope?

Sounds like a nice set up. I may have to look int this company.

3. semperfi1970

semperfi1970 Member

The safety is automatic and it does have a slight audible click when disengaged. The cables and string look very well made and the serving is very tight with little to no signs of serving wear at around 200 shots. I am using the supplied rail lube that reminds me of the stuff Barnett sells in the little chap stick tube. The scope is nothing I have ever seen before. It is a 4x32 multi aim point scope. The scope is nothing special but fully functional. The scope on the bow is a Barnett scope (nothing special either) as it was connected to my HHA Optimizer. The stock scope did sight in and hold zero just fine but I took it off when I mounted the HHA.

What does not come with the bow is the HHA Optimizer/Barnett scope and the Sims Limb savers in the limbs. More than likely the limb savers will come off as they are not needed. The string silencers in the string came on the bow. The quiver is a compact three arrow type and the sling is padded black nylon. All of the accessories are good just not how I chose to set up the bow. As with everything we all add our personal touch to all we touch.

4. TheHammer

TheHammer Active Member

Nice looking bow for the money.
    Might have to look into them a bit.
    Crosman has always been a good company.

5. PHANTOM 309

PHANTOM 309 Active Member

6. Old Longhair

Old Longhair Crazy Ol' Foole

Good write up, and nice bow!
    I always liked my Teton.....for what it was. Traded it last year for a jetski on a trailer. :rolleyes: (I still have several other bows)

One thing that I liked about CenterpPoint was that they are a 100% American made bow.
    What sort of warranty do they have now? I really like that Sniper 370!

7. semperfi1970

semperfi1970 Member

Very nice Phantom 309, nice deer. I haven't been around in a few years Old Long Hair, glad to see you are still here. As far as the warranty goes, well I threw out all of the packaging so I do not know. No worries as Crosman always takes care of customers.

PHANTOM 309 likes this.
  8. PHANTOM 309

Not mine, sf1970! lol... Got it on the Crosman w/s. Gent from NY state by the name David Schneider killed that bruiser with his Center Point T370... :blush:

[​IMG]

9. myayers

myayers Active Member

Good review Phatom309.
    Does it have an aluminum track or is it composite?
    Also would be good if it could be purchased as a bare bow.

10. PHANTOM 309

I think both track/riser are aluminum, mya.

11. Stalker

Stalker Well-Known Member

Better read between the lines on their website.Not necessarily 100% American made.Not knocking the bow or company just saying.

Tim50 likes this.
  12. Tim50

Tim50 Well-Known Member

I believe the Tormentor (?) may be a Man Kung bow.

13. myayers

myayers Active Member

Stalker likes this.
  14. PHANTOM 309

Make no bones about it! 'Ol Phantom be gittin' one of them cheap Man Kung Hawk® XB52 Green Camo 185 lbs "Beasts" ASAP no matter country of origin/name/brand or label! 8)

15. Stalker

Stalker Well-Known Member

16. myayers

myayers Active Member

The bows do have a nice look to them and even though they may have some foreign made parts doesn't take away from appeal at the price. I would like to know more about the warranty also and any accessories, i.e. crank cocking device.

Let us know how you like the "Beast".

17. Old Summit

Old Summit Senior Member

Nice looking xbow.

18. myayers

myayers Active Member

If it shoots as good as it looks it would be a good deal.

19. Old Longhair

I talked to Chip when he was still the VP of CenterPoint Archery back when they were making the Teton/Bristol/Hex, and at that time all of their components were made right here in the good 'ol U.S.A..

20. Old Longhair

You're right! Crosman does take care of their customers.

I haven't been here much the past couple years either, but I figured it was time to catch back up. House will be paid off in a couple months, so I might have to reward myself with a new bow. :D
    Right now I'm envisioning a new Sniper 370 in my future.

[​IMG]

TX_RDXguy likes this.