Center Point Tormentor 370

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by semperfi1970, Nov 22, 2015.

1. myayers

myayers Active Member

2. Old Longhair

Old Longhair Crazy Ol' Foole

Five year non-transferable warranty.

"LIMITED WARRANTY FOR CENTERPOINT CROSSBOW
    Your CenterPointâ„¢ crossbow is warranted to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for 5 years. This warranty is not transferable and as such is limited
    to the original owner. All parts are warranted for 5 year from date of purchase. This warranty does not cover damages due to fair wear and tear, failure to
    provide routine maintenance, and does not include strings or accessories. In the event of a defect under this warranty, we will, at our option, repair or replace
    the product; provided, however, our inspection indicates that an original defect exists. CenterPoint reserves the right to replace any product which is no longer
    available with a product of comparable value and function. If CenterPoint determines the repair is not covered under the warranty guidelines, there could be a
    charge to you for the repair. This is a limited warranty and does not cover damages caused by misuse, improper handling or installation or maintenance provided
    by someone other than a CenterPoint Authorized Service Station.
    This limited warranty does not include consequential damages, incidental damages, or incidental expenses, including damage to property or any other expense.
    CenterPoint disclaims any implied warranties, including the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. Some states do not allow the exclusion or
    limitation of incidental or consequential damages, or allow limitations on implied warranties so the above limitations or exclusions may not apply to you. To the
    extent any provision of this warranty is prohibited by federal, state or municipal law, which cannot be preempted, it shall not be applicable. This warranty gives
    you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights, which vary from state to state and country to country."

3. myayers

myayers Active Member

Yep. That's what it says on the owners manual.

4. PHANTOM 309

PHANTOM 309 Active Member

They are currently on Back-Order, mya! Friend from across the pond will let me know when they are available... 8)

myayers likes this.
  5. semperfi1970

semperfi1970 Member

Looking at the two generations of Center Point crossbows really points out how far they have come. Here is the old Teton and the Tormentor side by side. I think I will like carrying the Tormentor in the woods seeing how I used to painfully lug the Teton around.

Tonight I was able to stretch its legs out a bit and shoot out to 60 yards. Shooting from a bench I was very pleased with how well it shot at 60 yards. Offhand I will have to draw the line around 40 yards for now as the bow will repeat but me on the other hand is in need of a little work.

After tonight between me and my brother shooting it I would dare to say there is around 300 shots on the bow. Here is a pic of the flight track and string at the estimated shot count. I am pleasantly surprised with the serving holding up so well especially at the point where the rope cocker hooks the string. I have had rope cockers separate the serving on bows that do not have such an acute angle on the string cocked. I did notice that I doubt the bow could be cocked by hand due to such an acute string angle. I believe if one tried they would pinch the heck out of there fingers between the string and the rail. Not that I think anybody would try to cock the Tormentor without a cocking rope. Ok, I tried it and will not try it again as it does hurt. Better make sure you do not forget your rope cocker as you will play hell trying to cock it by hand.

Attached Files:

chubbyb518 likes this.
  6. semperfi1970

semperfi1970 Member

Buying the Tormentor has got me back into shooting again. As much as I love my Barnett Predator the Tormentor is about identical in speed and power in a much smaller and lighter package. The Predator is a very cool powerhouse but the balance is way off compared to the Tormentor. Here is a pic of the Tormentor in front of the Predator to show the compactness of the new bow.

Attached Files:

7. JMohunts

JMohunts Active Member

Just ordered a blacked out Tormentor 370. Merry Christmas to me. Ha ha

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

8. semperfi1970

semperfi1970 Member

JMohunts, you will be very happy with the Tormentor. I have not seen a black Tormentor, would love to see pics of it in black as the limited web sight pics leave some to be desired.

I have learned a few neat things about the Tormentor over the past few weeks that may interest you. When I mounted my HHA optimizer on the bow I had to take the scope adjustment to dead zero as the HHA was set up for another bow in the 370 FPS range and I threw out the HHA dial tapes for ranging. Looking at the sight rail I noticed that it is adjustable for elevation with two simple adjustment screws that lock it into any MOA offset you desire. Now I have my scope near neutral in turret adjustments as I let the sight rail take up the difference from bow to bow on the HHA.

Before you fool with the anchoring bolt that holds the sight rail in place on the trigger pack note that it is threaded on one side of the trigger pack. The bolt goes through the trigger pack wall then through the sight rail and then threads into the far trigger pack wall and has a lock nut/jam nut. Just don't put a hex key in the bolt and try and break it loose because you will break the bolt off or strip out the hex head on the bolt. You have to back off the adjustment screws for elevation a half turn or so each then remove the jam nut, now you can go to town with the hex wrench.

Second thing I noticed is that the arrow retention spring is adjustable as well. There is a adjustment screw that allows you to set the retainer at any tension you want.

The string is 35.5", cool because there are a lot of standard strings for many bows out there that take a 35.5" string.

The bow is not super sensitive to poor cocking as it more or less centers its self within reason. Being compact the string angle when cocked is acute enough to force alignment. Obviously you still need to try and cock it perfect every time, I am just saying it tends to be forgiving.

Because it is compact and the rope cocker is anchored behind the trigger pack near even with the flight track it is good to pull up and back with the cocker.

The safety must be in the fire position in order to cock the bow. I, like a dumb butt tried to cock the bow several times with it in the safe position. Once you try to cock the bow in the safe position you will never cock it again till you reset the trigger by placing it in the fire position and pulling the trigger. I would bet it says something about this in the manual but I have misplaced mine as always.

Between me, my brother and son we have shot the living snot out of the Tormentor and have yet to have any issues. Everything has stayed tight and smooth so far. I am still fooling around with arrows, weight of and length of. I think I like or it likes arrows in the 400 to 440 grain weight. I have ordered a set of Spynal taps from Jerry in 22" length, weight matched and spine matched. When I get them I will be able to tell just how well the bow will repeat as Jerry's arrows will more or less rule out fliers due to the arrow.

Don't forget the pics.

9. JMohunts

JMohunts Active Member

Thanks much for the info. Hope to get it out before the end of season. One son has doe tag so I will let him try it out over Christmas break. Couldn't beat the price as I got free ship and found a 20% off coupon. Now that's a deal.

10. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Crossbow Nut

If I'm understanding what you said, the Weaver is adjustable for elevation? So if you have a scope that you can't get enough elevation adjustment with, you can adjust the Weaver rail to compensate? If that's what you are saying, that is an outstanding feature. That would come in handy for use with my Parker Pinpoint [Hawke] scope so I can discard the compensating mount it comes with.

11. semperfi1970

semperfi1970 Member

That is correct that the sight rail is adjustable. The mount is very solid and easy to adjust.

12. semperfi1970

semperfi1970 Member

I got my Spynal Tapps in the mail Saturday from Jerry at South Shore Archery. I have been shooting Gold Tip lazer IV's, lazer II's, Victory X bolts and the three arrows that came with the Tormentor 370. I have been shooting the bow mostly at 30 yards and out to 50 for fun. Here are some groups at 40 and 50 yards with the Spynal Tapps. With the Tapps I was able to hold a 1" group at 50 yards. You will see three arrow impacts on the 40 yard target, that was fine tuning the scope for the mild breeze I dealt with today.

I am very pleased with the repeatability of the Tormentor, real world I was surprised just how well it did for a short limb bow. It was about 30 degrees out with a mild 4 to 5 mph breeze that had now real direction but rather swirled around. I did take care when cocking the bow the best I could with a rope cocker. A front bag was used with no rear bag just my shoulder.

The arrows when I could pick them up in the scope flew like darts with zero waggle. It was easier to pick up the bright aluminum nock in the scope more so than the vanes. I am having a blast with the Tormentor and the new Miracle $190 a dozen arrows. I would dare to bet the Tormentor in skilled hands with arrows of this caliber could do much better than I did.

The string and cables are holding up well but it will not be long before I need a new string. I have no idea who is making their strings for them. I will have to call Crosman tomorrow and get a cost for cable and string sets.

Attached Files:

13. JMohunts

JMohunts Active Member

Not bad at all, mine should be here any day. I would have a custom string maker do them. 60x makes awesome strings. You will be able to choose color and you will get a better string than many OEM.

14. semperfi1970

semperfi1970 Member

JMohunts, don't forget to post pics of the black Tormentor when you get it. All kidding aside I am impressed with how well the factory string is holding up. I have had 60x strings before (great strings) that have not held up this well. I am no stranger to strings as I have made my own for better than 30 years. I was the kid that hung out at the local Hoyt bow shop and played apprentice to a local legend named Ray Towner. Ray was a great guy who took the time to teach a kid a lot of things and capitalize on the free labor. Here is a old thread of a beefed up predator string I made that did not hold up this well. If the factory strings are real cheap I figure why not. Besides my fingers do not like making strings anymore.

My Spynal Tapps weigh in at 456 grains with 100 grain points. The Tormentor loves them.

http://www.crossbownation.com/forum/topic/12355-beefed-up-predator-string/?hl=predator+string

15. JMohunts

JMohunts Active Member

Glad to hear their strings are that good. Let me know what they want for a set. Always nice to have an extra set. Nice not having to replace junk strings right away. Not saying that's how they all are, just some.

16. Uziel Gal

Uziel Gal Active Member

I believe that the OEM for this bow is Poe Lang rather than Man-Kung.

Poe Lang market the bow as the Guillotine-M, with 175lb limbs, and rated at 360fps.

There is also a Guillotine-X model, with the same stock and barrel, but with a composite step through riser - increasing the power stroke - different cams, 185lb limbs and rated at 400fps.

17. Uziel Gal

Uziel Gal Active Member

As Phantom expected, both the rail and the riser are aluminium.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the Guillotine X swaps the aluminium riser and foot stirrup for a composite, step through riser.

I have seen the Guillotine X in the UK as a 'barer' (not bare!) bow. You still get the quiver and three carbon arrows apparently, but the sling and scope are not included. Price is £50 lower.

Yes, as stated, there are two grub screws, one either side of a pivot point, so you just need to loosen one and tighten the other to adjust the angle of the rail. Unfortunately, it does mean having to remove the sight to adjust the rail, but you only really need to do it once, so not a big issue.

Most telescopic sights work best when optically centred, so I centred my scope first, made the bulk adjustment via the rail, and then used the sights turrets just to make the fine adjustments. Also, as you say, perfect if you run out of elevation adjustment.

I do find that the sight rail has a little side to side movement when the screws are loosened, so the rail can end up pointing sideways. As long as you keep this in mind, not a problem - just straighten the rail before you tighten the screws.

As stated, you start with the safety in the 'fire' position, and when you cock the bow, the safety will come on automatically.

Semperfi mentioned the adjustable sight rail with two adjustment screws; I'm not sure if this is the case with the Tormentor/Guillotine, but with my Poe Lang Ballistic, there is a small third screw between the other two, that allows you to adjust the tension of the safety catch, so you can take it from virtually silent, to a firm solid click, by adjusting the screw. You can set it just how you want it.

Poe Lang state that 95% of their parts are made in house. This includes strings, but not sure about the scope.

As has been said already the scope works well enough, but nothing special. 4x32, with a four ring Hawke SR style reticle. Lights green or red in five steps, although I cannot really tell the difference between the fourth and fifth setting. I had a fair amount of debris on the lenses, but nothing that a blower brush didn't deal with; the internals looked clean however. Visions is a bit blurred around the edges, but the view through the middle was clear. No chromatic aberation to speak of. The turret adjustments are just a touch mushy, but zero holds.

With regards to my string, the bottom of the centre serving is wearing quite quickly, as there seems to be a lot of downward pressure on the string (I have an idea to resolve that). I think the cables could do with a couple more twists. Other than that, the strings appear good. One of the harness servings is a little loose, but I know from making my own bow strings and cables that that is a tricky area. The other three harness ends, the cam servings ans the centre servings are all very tight with no signs of separation.

18. semperfi1970

semperfi1970 Member

Uziel Gal, great info. I have searched the net for origins of manufacture and came up with nothing. I have been to the Poe Lang and Man Chung sights and could not find the Tormentor or anything close. But then again I am less than proficient with my computer. If Google cant find it I am lost. If you could please send me a link where you found the information I would be grateful.

What you didn't say is how you like the bow.

19. JMohunts

JMohunts Active Member

Got mine today, they sent me a camo one, so guess ain't getting black, cause I am not sending it back. Really doesn't matter to me, black was $50 less. Raining buckets in Northern Wisconsin so got to wait till morning to shoot. Going to be a brown Christmas up here, never seen anything like it in my 43 yrs.

20. Uziel Gal

Uziel Gal Active Member

Not sure why, but Poe Lang haven't put the Guillotine's on their webpage yet, but they are shown in the latest catalogue.

http://issuu.com/poelang/docs/poelang_catalog-issuu_c94294cd4b6a1b

On the whole, I'm pretty happy with the Ballistic - I think I'd be even happier with a Guillotine/Tormentor! Really frustrating thing is that the Guillotine was announced shortly after I bought the Ballistic. Doh!

Other than a bit too much down pressure on my string, my only issues are that the trigger is a little agricultural for my tastes (working on that with some modifications) and while Poe Lang make a cocking crank along with a couple of different adapters to fit different bows, this doesn't seem to stretch to the Ballistic. While I can cock a 185lb bow easily enough with a rope cocking aid, I find that the bending over the bow to cock it does my back in after a while (I've had issues with my back since working in a warehouse as a teenager).

Can't blame the bow for my last issue, but the cocker packaged with my bow had the hook rollers riveted in rather than using push pins, and the rivets scratched the barrel.

Sounds like a few negatives there, but considering the price, you really can't knock these bows. The few issues I have can be fixed with a little work, to make a great value bow in to a great bow, full stop.

You've done even better than me, as the Guillotine's are said to come out of the box with better triggers than Poe Lang's earlier bows.

Some of their older bows are a bit old fashioned looking, but then again, so are the bows from a lot of other companies. When you look at bows from the last couple of years like the Ballistic and Titan, they look much better now, and the Guillotine's look very modern, and frankly, the dog's b*******! I'm trying to work out if I can really justify buying another bow so soon..... :unknw: