Center Point Tormentor 370

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by semperfi1970, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Uziel Gal

Uziel Gal Active Member

Apologies, missed this post earlier.

Poe Lang do make and distribute a cocking crank, and I *think* that they have brought out an adapter for the Guillotine/Tormentor.

[​IMG]

http://www.bogensportwelt.de/X-BOW-Crankaroo-Kurbelspanner

You can't see it in this picture, but there is a third screw hole at the back of the adapter that looks like it would be held in place by the butt pads top screw.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to confirm so far whether this adapter is actually for the Guillotine, or just looks like it should fit (but wouldn't). Unfortunately, the one down side to Poe Lang is that they are virtually impossible to get hold of via email. I'll update if I find out for sure.

2. myayers

myayers Active Member

Uziel Gal. Thanks for picking up on this. I'm glad to see there is a crank for it. It is something I would need for longer shooting sessions.

3. Old Summit

Old Summit Senior Member

I for sure would look into the rail that you can move for elevation. I had one on a mk-250, and it was spring loaded and yopu could move it all over the place. I finally drilled it and pinned it solid. So may be something to look at and see how good it is, just a thought. PS , had to do some shimming under my rail, but got my Parker set up without the mount, I think around .065 worth of shimming all together, way off level for sure to get the elevation you need.

4. Old Summit

Old Summit Senior Member

Did I read right, that the weight of the 370 is 11.50 lb's

5. Uziel Gal

Uziel Gal Active Member

No, the weight is approximately 7.8lbs, with the full kit (scope, fore grip, quiver).

6. JMohunts

JMohunts Active Member

It is light and balanced well, nice bow for the he money. 40mph wind gusts now so, Might not be able fling arrows today, well maybe a couple.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

7. myayers

myayers Active Member

JM
    Just checking to see if you ever got out to shoot your new bow. I'm assuming the wind has let up since you last posted. LOL.

8. semperfi1970

semperfi1970 Member

I second the shooting report. I still want to see the Tormentor in black.

9. Gabowman

Gabowman Well-Known Member

Nice looking bow AND at a great price. From what Ive read it sounds like a winner. :)

10. Uziel Gal

Uziel Gal Active Member

Just an update.

Still no luck getting an answer from Poe Lang, but according to the guys at BogenSportWelt, this adapter is not for the Guillotine/Tormentor, and currently, there isn't one available. :(

11. myayers

myayers Active Member

Thanks for the update.

12. TheHammer

TheHammer Active Member

Hello all.
    Just ordered the Tormentor as it intrigued me(should be here tuesday) and had some questions for people that have one before I open the box.
    1. After looking at some pics of it cocked it appears that the cable slide hits the back of the slide cutout before the bow is fully cocked causing the cables to bend around the back of the cutout is this the case or is it an optical illusion.
    2. How does the string line up with the nock when cocked? does it sit below the nock above the nock or is it centered pretty well.
    I was also looking at the Sniper but Its just kinda ugly to me compared to the tormentor but I could overcome that due to the price difference.
    I can return on my dime before 30 days as long as its not used.
    Ive read all the posts about it I could find which is few as im sure you all know.
    If theres any more info that can be given please feel free to chime in.
    Thanx All.

13. semperfi1970

semperfi1970 Member

More than likely I am late to the party. The cables do not hit the back of the cutout. The string is aligned with the flight track and the nock is centered on the track.

14. cleandate051005

cleandate051005 Member

Well...I love my Tormentor, unfortunately I just found after taking a few shots today that one of my limbs is starting to come apart.:-( No dry fires. Only change in last 50 shots were new cables. See pic

15. Uziel Gal

Uziel Gal Active Member

Got to fess up.

I have recently had two Guillotine-X's pass through my hands, and both suffered splintered limbs, the first after only 25 shots. No dry fires, and all arrows shot were 415 grains (Poe Lang rate their bows with 350 grain arrows). The replacement bow worked well for the first fifty shots, so I then started mixing in some 352 grain arrows to check the speed of the bow. Things seemed OK up to 120+ shots, but then one of the second bow's limbs splintered.

While I have stated several times on this forum that I believe that PL make a good bow for the money, please don't take me as a fan boy. My experience of the previous generation of PL bows (Titan, Ballistic, etc.) has been positive.

So why didn't I report my issues straight away? Thing is, that I believed that the issues would be limited to the Guillotine-X, which you don't have in the US at this time. I really didn't think that the Guillotine-M/Tormentor 370 would have this issue. Thing is that the G-M is in many respects similar to the Ballistic, of which mine has a few hundred shots through it, with no issues - lots of barrel scratches from a bad cocking hook (not the bow's fault of course) and replaced the centre serving of the string, but otherwise going strong.

The Guillotine-M/Tormentors have a different stock and rail configuration, the riser is attached differently, and the trigger blade mounting has been improved over the Ballistic; other than that, the limbs appear the same, trigger unit is the same, cams are similar or the same, dimensions and performance figures are very similar, so I really did not think there would be any problems here.

On the other hand, the G-X has Poe Lang's first synthetic riser on a high performance crossbow, so that was something of an unknown factor; poundage is higher than the G-M (though the same as the Tormentor and Ballistic); the riser is highly reflexed, and larger cams used (longer draw stroke). The X model is rated at 400fps at 185lbs, where as the previous generation's speed bow (the Titan) was rated at just 380fps at 200lbs. Long story short, I believed the Guillotine-X failures were due to the limbs being over stressed to achieve a higher speed at a lower poundage, and that only the X model would be effected.

Now that a Tormentor has suffered splintered limbs, on a bow with similar characteristics to the Ballistic, I have to wonder if there is a bad batch of limbs in circulation.

TheHammer likes this.
  16. Shane79

Shane79 New Member

I have the Centerpoint Tormentor 370 and have about 85 shots through it, so far so good but I will definitely keep a eye on it. Do you think the new cables might of added to the limbs splintering?

17. TheHammer

TheHammer Active Member

My Review.
    I have one with about 50 shots thru it.
    No splintered limbs yet.
    A.T.A cocked 14.437
    A.T.A. uncocked 18.156
    14.125 stroke
    Havent measured draw weight.
    The bow is very compact and easy to maneauver.
    Its quality is on par with other bows in its price range and better than alot that cost more.
    The finish is decent with some bare spots in the holes on the underside(to be expected)
    The trigger is smooth with a lot of draw tho.
    The limbs have a lot of bend to them when cocked, kinda scary to me but im used to a little bigger bow.
    When cocked the cable slide is against the back of the cutout causing the cables to bend over the center of the cutout.I dont think this really hurts anything tho.
    The cables and string were lumpy out of the box.
    I redid the cable twists as they were lumpy. I put it in a press and untwisted the cables 5 turns and then put pressure back on them.I then repeated the procedure adding one twist at a time and burnishing them every twist.Now there nice and round and smooth.
    The cable slide is functional but could be better.
    I ordered some different slides for a beowolf that look the same except for one slots a little shallower and this may help with cable wear.
    The scope that comes with it is a riflescope and has way too much eye relief.It holds zero ok but i have it mounted as far forward as I can.I have other scopes but was just testing
    I zeroed the the scope on the vertical axis and adjusted the rail till i was within a few inches then used the scope adjustments to dial it in.
    The supplied arrows are junk,I rebuilt them and centered the nocks and inserts.Each one will fly the same but 3 will not group well.they weigh 437grain.
    The bow came almost perfectly timed.I may have put 1/2 twist in a cable and one twist in each bottom yoke leg to tweak the cam lean a tad. shoots bareshaft and fletched arrow in same spot at 20 yards
    The bow is highly accurate with good arrows and has no problems hitting a baseball size spot at 60 yards(farthest i shot it)
    Im currently shooting 468 grain homebuilt xx75 2219s. 125 grain points.
    I have ZERO nock wear or grooving on my arrows unlike some of my other bows.
    I also polished the trigger claws.
    the serving is holding up good and the rail shows no wear yet but I keep it well lubed along withe the cables and serving.
    Overall im pleased with it. Its A fun small lightweight accurate bow to shoot.

I hope my limbs hold up and I hope crosman honors there 5 year warranty if the dont.
    I will have to get some mileage on it to see if I can trust It to hunt with.
    We will see what happens after it sits cocked for 4 hours.
    Good luck all
    I will keep yall posted

18. Uziel Gal

Uziel Gal Active Member

Shane,

As long as the cables were the right length, and installed and adjusted correctly - in other words, poundage and AtA length were maintained, I doubt that changing the cables would have caused an issue.

Hammer,

Good review. :)

Not sure about the cable slide hitting the end of the slot - that doesn't sound right to me. However, that may be a consequence of the bow having been adjusted to 185lbs from the stock 175lbs.

Funnily enough, I had the exact same thought regarding the cable slide, and tried to obtain some SAS/Hori-Zone cable slides, wanting to separate the cables vertically, but just can't get hold of them in the UK. :(

19. TheHammer

TheHammer Active Member

Yep the slide hits before the bow is fully cocked.
    Heres a pic from the crosman site
    The G-M may be the same .
    Maybe dropping the draw weight down to 175 with longer strings and cables will solve the limb splintering and cable slide problem at the same time.
    Maybe the G-M strings and cables are a little longer.
    Will be watching to see how crosman takes care of these issues tho.
    Thanks for the reply
    tormentor.jpg

20. TheHammer

TheHammer Active Member