Cocking my new Excalibur Matrix 380.

Discussion in 'General Crossbow Discussion' started by bltefft, Jan 8, 2016.

1. bltefft

bltefft Active Member

Cocking my new Excalibur Matrix 380.

I used to think my Scorpyd Orion 160 Extreme was a challenge to rope cock, until I did it on my new Excalibur Matrix 380 (a recurve crossbow). Thank the Lord that the 380 doesn't require a long a pull like the Scorpyd - else, I'd never make it.

On the 380 I found that the first 12 inches of the 13.1 inch pull isn't too bad, put that last inch is a booger. I have to pull it up to the ADF, reset myself in my wheelchair, and then rare back and really PULL to set the trigger - but I did it many times yesterday, and surprising don't feel sore in my back/shoulder today.

And to think that I was even considering the Matrix 405, blows my mind. Man, I'm glad I didn't buy it.

I do have the C2 cranking device, but have only been using it with the string aid to adjust the brace height - it does a great job for that. So far, it's more convenient for me to just rope cock the 380 than to C2 cock it.

Bobby

2. Tim50

Tim50 Well-Known Member

You are correct these "new" Matrix/Micro's can be a challenge to draw! Congrats to you on making it work! I had a 380 and I moved on from it! I like to shoot too much to have the cocking sequence be a burden. And I have found as I "mature" ie GET OLD the draw weight becomes a factor in my purchases. I have never been a speed guy anyway!

3. XCAL1

XCAL1 Active Member

I can't cock my 200 draw Vortex very easy anymore, I just use my crank. It helps to shorten the cocking ropes. I need to pull back the string a few inches to hook it, but it really makes the last few inches of pulling to cock much easier and might work for you. After shoulder problems I use my crank, I love the recurves but am finding my 175 draw Supercoil is easily cocked without a crank and have used this bow much of our limited crossbow season. Good luck with yur new bow.

4. bltefft

bltefft Active Member

Thanks for your replies guys.

All the best.
    Bobby

5. rock74

rock74 Active Member

6. bltefft

bltefft Active Member

Thanks, Rocky, it is certainly worth a try.

All the best,
    Bobby

rock74 likes this.
  7. bltefft

bltefft Active Member

Rocky, shortening the rope helped. Today, for the first time I was able to cock the 380 on one pull. Of course, it takes more effort to get the cocking rope hooks on the string, but I'm getting used to grunting and getting it done. I only shortened one side, the new knot is right next to the old one, but it made a difference. Tomorrow, I'll tie another knot on the other side.

All the best,
    Bobby

rock74 likes this.
  8. rock74

rock74 Active Member

Bobby that's how I do it I hook one rope and have to pull the string up 3-4" to hook the second, it does take more effort hooking up but definitely easier in the long run.

Rocky

9. bltefft

bltefft Active Member

Yep, that's what I discovered, too.

10. Gabowman

Gabowman Well-Known Member

Get you a wooden handle, a short piece 6" of rope, and a "S" hook for pulling those 3" or 4". It should make it much easier if it's a problem. I havent tried it but it should help alot.

11. bltefft

bltefft Active Member

Now, that's a good idea, let the wooden handle pull the string up for me. I just think I'll go to Lowe's tomorrow and buy me a simple handle used for pulling a lawnmower starter rope. I already have lots of Para Cord.

Thanks,
    All the best,
    Bobby