Decoys?

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by ryno, Oct 23, 2009.

1. ryno

ryno Senior Member

Was thinking about buying a decoy and could not find a post about them. Anybody use one? What brand? Pros & Cons would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. urban legend

urban legend Administrator Staff Member

I love hunting with decoys. I like to use them with the antler kit as a buck while rattling. I usually only put 1 antler on though. I think when other bucks see there is another buck that is all busted up, they don't hesitate on coming in to kick butt either. As far as brand, I have used many with great success. I currently use a carry-lite decoy, but I just saw they came out with a redesigned one too.

3. SPECIALIZED

SPECIALIZED Super Moderator

The mentioning of the one Antler brings to mind my old Buck decoy.During last season, somehow the right rear leg broke off.
    I continued to use the decoy and had several smaller bucks respond to the rattling while using the broken decoy.Even though the decoys antlers were much larger than the curious bucks. They had no fear of the decoy.I am sure the broken leg contributed to the response of the smaller bucks. Have used both, Buck and Doe decoys for several years with varying degrees of success.

4. RabidPSUfan

RabidPSUfan Senior Member

Renzo decoys..

I have used the Renzo (Silhouette) decoys, buck and doe, on and off over the past few years. The results have been mixed. These are easy to use since they just "fold up" and are easy to carry. I have had a few small bucks come in to investigate. They definitely take the attention off of you. The very 1st time I used just the buck and had a 1/2 rack (3 pt.) come in bristling for a fight. I swear the whole thing played out just like one of the hunting videos. He layed his ears down, neck hair all bristled up and walked stiff legged up to the decoy. The funny part was since the decoy is two dimensional, once he got to a certain location, the decoy just disappeared on him. If deer could have an expression on their face, this one was all confused as his nemises just "disappeared" on him. When he got to another location, the decoy "reappeared". The poor boy was so confused. I sat laughing silently to myself above him. That was priceless.....

Timberframe and two tines like this.
  5. Lscha

Lscha Michigan Crossbow Federation Moderator

I got one of the new Carry-Lite ones this year. It is sooo much easier than the old one once you get it together. Easy to unfold and set up, take down and carry out. First attempt as a doe, spooked the does. I'll try again later.:confused:

6. Buck Hunter

Buck Hunter Member

decoy

I use the Renzo doe decoy. In rut I put a white wash cloth w/estrous on the it and insert nto the tail end. I have watched bucks crossing s field make hard right turns and work their way to that. Now when they get there they are looking and seeing the skinniest deer they ever seen but that tail (washcloth) waving excites them. They do hang up and sometimes out of range, I try and put those 15 yards upwind from my shooting lane. Got to play the wind. Also don't overuse them deer are not stoopit like us. It is fun and they do work!

7. 7ultra

7ultra Member

Everyone interested in a deer decoy should check these out. www.davesmithdecoys.com. IMO No doubt the most realistic looking decoys i have found to date . But as usual a decoy this nice is not cheap. Get ready for sticker shock !!

8. bugsNbows

bugsNbows Active Member

I never had much success with decoys... especially if the old, smart momma does spotted them first. They'd go to stomping and snorting then run off!

9. Hunter2

Hunter2 Senior Member

I have a flat decoy I think its called common doe. It folds up into a easy to carry shape and its been a good buy. I actually put a real doe tail on it. And put scent on it in the rut.

10. Timberframe

Timberframe Member

I thought about taking a deer decoy in the feeding position and draping and securing a tanned deer hide over it. Not sure if it is legal though.

11. Hunter2

Hunter2 Senior Member

I have one call I think Commondoe. It folds up flat and has a metal rod that keeps it in ground. Very light and easy to carry. I added a real doe tail to it to apply scent.

12. kochie

kochie Active Member

I think they can be good but like everything else they can hurt you also. I have used them a lot but have never kill a real big buck over them . and sometimes the mature does are spooked by them . I use them to have fun with the deer but when i get serious about hunting a big buck the decoy stays in the shed jmo

13. deer

deer Member

no luck with them.

14. MW66

MW66 New Member

I used an 'Ole Jack decoy last year with 1 antler removed. I had a few deer come up to it in my food plot. The doe were a bit cautious, but the really young one, which I believe was a button buck, came right up to it and did some fake sparing. This year I plan to add the tail wagger for more realism.

15. Hunter2

Hunter2 Senior Member

I have a fold up called Commandoe if I remember correctly

16. Rubicon08

Rubicon08 Active Member

First deer I shot with a crossbow was over a decoy,20 yards out,I was watching a monster on the other side of an alfalfa field making a scrape,hoping he would come my way and caught movement out of the corner of my eye and a big nine pointer was coming to my right facing my decoy all bristled up and walking stiff legged,he never knew what hit him,ran about 80 yards and piled up-they may not work all the time but they do work!

17. Condor

Condor Member

I agree, I have their turkey decoys their fantastic.

18. Reverse Raptor

Reverse Raptor Active Member

How well do they work are they worth it? The price isn't bad though . How well they are constructed?