Eastman 300DX

Discussion in 'All Other Brands' started by dyeclan, Dec 9, 2008.

1. dyeclan

dyeclan Senior Member

I picked up one of these for $150 from a guy on ARFCOM. I am trading it to my taxidermist brother for a head mount, and would like to know if anyone has any experience with them. Any thing to look for or are they good to go? Granted, I'm not expecting a miracle for the money, but Gander Mtn. had them listed at 300 on sale, so original price had them up there with some nice bows. Any info would be appreciated.

2. Mike

Mike Senior Member

The trigger assembly and the riser/limbs are made by Darton.
    Which in my humble (?) is very nice stuff.
    On the other hand, I do not know who is making the stock. It does have a Darton'ish look to it...but...

I'd bet, overall, it's a nice upper/lower end crossbow.

Mike

3. dyeclan

dyeclan Senior Member

Thanks for the input Mike, I'll post some thoughts on it after some shootin.

4. kmrcstintn

kmrcstintn Member

http://crossbownation.com/community/showthread.php?t=4112

original post is an honest review; my followup is a bit biased against them, but I'm starting to like mine a little more each time I handle/fire it; compared to some other offerings in this price range it is built like a tank; it is a bit slower than I anticipated using 425gr bolt/tip combo (mine chronoed @ 271 fps w/ 425 bolt/tip combo vs their 'advertised' 300 fps using 375gr bolt/tip combo ~~ Sportsman's Warehouse claims 312 fps in their ad selling a noncamo variant); my main complaint is still the stiff trigger dynamics...feels like a 15lb trigger pull w/ harsh release (gotta lube it w/o getting too much oil in mechanism to attract dust-n-dirt)

the durability of their quad limb design is hopefully better than those used by Barnett (quad 400 model limb problems posted under the barnett section); the overall quality is higher than chinese offerings, but not as hearty as Parkers or Hortons costing only $100 more; they are manufactured by Darton, which eases my mind since I know who builds them for Eastman Outfitters

they have a 'fair' warranty (5 years for limbs, 10 years for riser, 10 years for stock & trigger assembly) which is much better than Barnett's '1 year for everything' warranty and somewhat better than Horton's 3 year on 'non-laminated' limb models; the quiver/mount isn't top rate & the mounting plate is molded to fit the rounded bottom part of the stock, hence trying to attach a different brand might prove futile...I'm trying to get some info on this since I want a more sturdy quiver in the future;

they are HEAVY at 8 lbs, but it is due to the SOLID injection molded stock & the riser/limb pockets/ foot stirrup are machined aluminum...hence, built like a tank! hope this feedback helps you