Excalibur - Very Bad customer service

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by bflierl, Nov 17, 2015.

1. bflierl

bflierl New Member

In Jan of 2015 I purchased a Excalibur Axiom SMF for myself and a friend. Simple to setup, easy to sight in and seemed to be a great crossbow for the price. My first shot this season, I took a very nice 8 pointer. My friend on the other hand, took his first shot at nice 8 pointer and the mainframe on the SMF snapped in half. So, maybe 30 practice shots, then out for bow season. What a shame, not only did it snap in half, the whole front end dropped 20 feet to the ground, lost arrow and broad head and he is lucky that it did not injure him in any way. SO what will a company like Excalibur do for you to replace this. Well, you have to send it to one of their depots in PA, shipping that you need to pay for and after inspection, they will replace the mainframe, nothing else, just the mainframe. So here's a guy on his first day of a 3 day hunting trip, that cost him some money, crossbow breaks, he can't hunt anymore, has to wait until the season is over to get a replacement (only the mainframe) and he has to use his own money to ship. I wonder how Bill Troubridge (owner of Excalibur) would feel if this happened to him on his first day of a hunting trip. Lost time from work, lost money on a hunting trip, can hunt with a crossbow for the rest of the season and bad customer service. I just hope that the same does not happen to me and my Excalibur Axiom SMF. My friend was nice, I don't know how nice I would be.

2. urban legend

urban legend Administrator Staff Member

I totally understand why they want you to send it to an authorized repair center. What if there is something else wrong your friend doesn't know about and they send him the rail. Then on the next shot it does injure him. Will he take responsibility for it because he didn't want to send it in to have it gone over? No, he won't. He will come to this site bash Excalibur again. Does it suck his bow broke. Of course it does. But anything manufactured can and will. You guys are friends, lend him your crossbow so he can finish his hunt. But to come here on your first post to bad mouth a company that has an outstanding customer service rating because they want to keep themselves and anyone else using the crossbow safe, is in bad taste in my opinion. Again, sorry your friends bow broke, but get let them go over it to make sure nothing else is wrong.

3. robertyb

robertyb Active Member

I agree UL. 1st post is a bash on the best customer service crossbow company out there. Wow!!!

4. BigBowMan

BigBowMan Happy Member

It has become a regular trend and it happens on every hunting forum.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

5. Tim50

Tim50 Well-Known Member

What would you have had them do differently? Be a "really good friend" & lend him your bow! Your freezer's full....

Gabowman likes this.
  6. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Crossbow Nut

There must be a full moon out. Another one post wonder; not even his bow. I'm wondering why the person in question has to wait until season is over to get the bow sent in.
    Yes, if your bow breaks, you will be required to send it in, or it won't get fixed. DUH!
    Yes, the USPS or other carrier requires payment. DUH!
    Yes, they will only fix what is broken. DUH!
    If the guy is waiting for the end of the season to get it fixed, how can he claim bad service? That's on him. DUH!
    I don't know but I think I detect the odor of bovine scat.
    Jack >

7. Gabowman

Gabowman Well-Known Member

8. bflierl

bflierl New Member

9. bflierl

bflierl New Member

OK, yes, you guys are all correct. I should have gone a different way with this. I did offer him to use my bow and he would not except, I'm the one that gave him the bow as a present in the first place. I understand that it needs to be sent back and inspected, but couldn't Excalibur have at least picked up the bill for shipping. I don't know about you, but when I buy something, I want it to work as it should and not break the first time out. With my Elite bow, if it breaks, all I have to do is call and they will get me one over night, so I don't miss any hunting, now that is how it should be done. Not wait for weeks of shipping and inspection. Don't get me wrong, I like my Excalibur bow, but I think that they should have a better way of handling their returns on a BAD break like this one. I'm not bashing Excalibur, just their customer service.

10. tlaufer

tlaufer New Member

I am the guy who's bow broke in half. I am not waiting until the end of the season to have bow inspected, of course I'm having inspected and repaired the right way, I would have just liked to have another hunt before BOW season was over on 11/20/2015. This incident happened on 11/13/2015 and I emailed and called warranty department the same day, even submitted RMA. Unfortunately, since it was the weekend, I did not get a response until Monday, 11/16, which then I was told I need to send to PA for inspection and repair on my dime (which if I had UPS package and send overnight would of cost upwards of $100). Decided to send UPS ground, and they are just receiving package today, 11/19. No way I'm getting it back in time to use when I'm off to my next hunt, leaving tonight. I've had other companies email me a UPS/over-night shipping label and all I needed to do was package, apply label and send. Seems like a easy fix on the customer service end and perhaps having someone being able to address RMA's on the weekend would help too.

I'm not bashing Excalibur, and their Customer Service was good, I just think there is room for improvement.

I will go back out with bow in the late season, hopefully with better success...

11. criswelg

criswelg New Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447961542.791664.jpg
    Pic of my Barnett Quad 400
    Same kinda deal. Day before bow season starts BANG (startled me) it flew into a bunch of pieces.
    Meantime I wanted to hunt so I picked up a Excalibur Axiom seems like a good bow hope it don't break!!!
    My wife just sent me a pic of my rebuilt Quad 400 (took about 6 weeks)
    I ain't complaining cause now I got 2 bows!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. PHANTOM 309

PHANTOM 309 Active Member

13. Lastinline

Lastinline Active Member

sorry for your buddy.i bet something else happened in the stand. maybe the limbs hit a branch. i cant imagine the rail on the SMF models snapping in half.i believe they are made from Delrin. thats some pretty tough stuff.

14. richieg150

richieg150 New Member

thank goodness that neither of you were hurt. Your bows breaking sucks, but having your face broke sucks more.. Excalibur has ALWAYS given me great service, and has guaranteed their products.... not many companies stand behind their products or give the customer service I have received from Excalibur. I have a SMF Axiom also, its been accurate, and never given me a problem. I have about a dozen guys I shoot with, a couple with crossbows and the rest long bows, and my Axiom will make them all look bad with her Tach Zone scope out to 60 yards at the range, target or 3D.... MY favorite is the 3D.

15. Lastinline

Lastinline Active Member

i did a little research. theres been some talk of different versions of the SMF main frame rails. im gonna look at mine a first year model. took a pic of a 2015 version at my local store.

16. Lastinline

Lastinline Active Member

the newer Axiom rail at my local store is thicker under the riser mount. mine is a first year version and doesnt have the extra support. so why didnt they have a recall if they were failing in that area? even if only a few cracked rails happened they should have notified owners.

Attached Files:

17. Lastinline

Lastinline Active Member

im gonna find out from Excalibur why they made the SMF rails thicker around the riser area but i have a feeling i know. i just wanna know why this wasnt brought to anyones attention. they were very good about the bad triggers with the Matrix 405. more hush hush stuff i feel. last thing i want is to squeeze the trigger on my Axiom and end up holding 2 pieces.i was told this type plastic is used in the automotive field but if they cant handle the stress of a crossbow and are prone to issues when they are made from the moulds i want an aluminum rail replacement.

18. Tim50

Tim50 Well-Known Member

Lastinline...maybe I missed it but I have not seen a rash of Axiom failures. Have you seen/heard of multiple failures? You can bet if there was an issue many of the haters would be all over Excal. I personally have not seen this. As with any bow manufacturers will "tweek" different things on their bows from time to time. My Axiom was also an early model and although I don't own it any more my buddy that does has not had one ounce of problem. I now own a Grizzly and it is a fine little bow. I'll admit I like the looks of the metal rail but I cannot find any problems with the plastic.

19. Lastinline

Lastinline Active Member

i dont know of many failures either. dont know what year they changed to the reinforced rail either. just feel Excalibur slipped this by. if they made them thicker in the front i would think there had to be failures. not letting owners of the thinner rails know i think is a mistake. if only a few rails failed because bad batch or a bubble or air pocket then why redesign the whole rail mould to make it thicker at the riser.in the end i just wanna be the one to decide if im ok with a original rail or one that has been beefed up for a reasons.the Matrix and Micro limbs had issues with the making process. too much heat or something like that. i love the Axiom and the SMF rail is not an issue with me. i was a big supporter of the plastic rail after owning a few plastic rail Hortons with no issues.

20. Lastinline

Lastinline Active Member

the quality of yesteryears Excalibur seems to be hiding behind todays great warranty.at some point sending things back or being used as test as we go buyers mentality gets old. i know they use testers and put crossbows in the field but maybe this needs to be a longer process.