Headhunter bolt weights

Discussion in 'Barnett Crossbows' started by lemmylou, Sep 21, 2012.

1. lemmylou

lemmylou New Member

Folks looking for input. I've read through a lot of the posts and still not clear on the weight of arrows. Jesse had a post that said that a 20" Easton Headhunter that comes with the crossbow weigh 310 grains without the field tip. I was almost sure that I also read he mentionend they were 13.8 gpi which would give a 20 inch shaft a weight of 276 grns. I think I've also seen that the Headhunter shaft was 10.5 gpi. Anyone know which it is? If I assume 8 grn for a vane X 3 vanes = 24 grns. Add 12 grns for a nock and 57 grns for aluminum insert and a bit of glue, I calculate the bolt should weigh 374 grns using the 13.8 gpi or 308 using the 10.5 gpi. So, does anyone know if the bolts are 13.8 or 10.5?

Thanks for the input.

2. fe1

fe1 Member

My 22" HeadHunters weigh 332 grains total w/o field tips.

3. DeadZombie

DeadZombie Member

JCAT likes this.
  4. lemmylou

lemmylou New Member

Good info and I appreciate the input. What about the 20" Headhunters?

5. ridgerunr

ridgerunr New Member

From Barnetts Web site, the 20" headhunter carbon arrow are 400.6 gr in weight. I found this because I was looking for the weight for the same arrows

6. Muley Hunter

Muley Hunter Member

My 20" weighed 410gr with a 100gr field tip. The FOC is pretty low. I switched to Spynal Tapp 20' with 110gr insert and 125gr heads for a weight of 445gr and an FOC of 20%. I find they fly straighter and are stronger than the Headhunters. Especially, with fixed broadheads.

fireman.1724 and two tines like this.
  7. One less thumb

One less thumb New Member

I got three packs of 20" headhunters and one pack weighs 15grains lighter than the other two boxes .I bought them from the same seller and they are the same length with the same knocks .bought them together. I actually got a forum on here about it.10 bolt weigh 19.3 grams 5 bolts weigh 20.4 grams without field points .hope this helps........ btw 1 gram =15.43 grains

8. rock74

rock74 Active Member

I just weighed 2 at 312 grns ea fletched with out points.

9. One less thumb

I'm weighing bolt rite now even though I know what they weigh. .......I'm I crazy? ?????

10. Reverse Raptor

Reverse Raptor New Member

HeadHunter bolts weight can very as much as 8 gr. plus or minus. I got that info. from Barnett they are the maker of HeadHunter bolts. I now shoot 20" BEE's

11. rock74

rock74 Active Member

Headhunters are not made by Barnett they are made by Easton for Barnett.

Tim50, bigharr and One less thumb like this.
  12. One less thumb

I find the headhunters great I was just saying when ordering them make sure you order the right weigh because some are made as a replacement for say the recruit that come factory with a bolt around 297 grains wo field tip.and other are a replacement for the jackals that come with the 310 bolt wo field points.I didn't know that as I have ended up with a set of both .but everyone from each pack did weigh out a match and shoot great just don't mix them up.and as far a Barnett saying the bolts may have a 8 grain difference if they knew that I can't see why they would even package them in with their bow. that would make their product look bad and if that was the case they sure wouldn't admit it.that just my thoughts anyway. and like rock74 said they are made by Easton. and I think they are a decent product.

13. Reverse Raptor

Correct Easton makes them but exclusively for Barnett. I misspoke sorry Now i'm not sure but " I THINK " all NEW Barnett xbow's come equipped with HeadHunter bolts ( mine did ) & the Easton name is seen only once & that's on the same HeadHunter wrap right along side Barnett' name & Barnett's name is all over the 5 pk. box of 20" H.H. i have but not Easton's . My point is it's easy to be misspoken when one is bombarded with one sided advertising but just for the record i did know Easton made them. Thank's

14. Reverse Raptor

Well i guess i'l have to try to upload Barnett's reply's to my questions from now on because it sounds like you guys are saying i'm making this stuff up about Barnett xbows & accessories or in other words I'm a bald face lair . I just report what Barnett emails me as i am a Barnett xbow owner past & present & as a present owner it concerns me that Barnett didn't say a word verbally or in print somewhere. about resting the xbow every 4 -5 hours for a min. of 30 min. I found this out when i emailed Barnett & they emailed their answer back. Same deal with the EASTON/BARNETT HeadHunter bolts Barnett stated to me in an email that the HeadHunter bolts very in weight anywhere from + 8 gr. -8 gr. This is from Barnett not something i fabricated. I would have bought a xbow from someone else if i knew the resting the limb deal. I emailed other company s & there xbows don't have such strict guide lines.I looked up reviews articles anything & everything about my xbow i could find or think of before buying it. I hemmed & hawed about it being a reverse draw & that being new to the market. I liked the way it looked especially when cocked it's being light weight would be a welcomed factor.I love that xbow but all i keep finding out about it are disappointing facts about it's weaknesses from Barnett . I mean are you really telling me you know more about Barnett than Barnett themselves ? If not then please know if I say this is from Barnett then believe you me it is from Barnett. HeadHunter bolts love'em just wish you didn't have to buy 3 doz. to get 1 doz. that will group I bought 2 different makes of bolts this year & I'm not as happy as i was with the groups I was originally getting with the 20" HeadHunters at 30 yrds. Check my next post on something i found out about BEE's.

15. One less thumb

sounds like I have a new friend. I wish he would have at least got what I was saying. I didn't have to buy 3 dozen to get a dozen that would group. they all group and are the same weight. but one box was a completely deffrent bolt made buy headhunter looks the same as what I was shooting when I ordered but they make a few deffrent ones and I ORDERED THE WRONG ONES.that's it........everyone weighs the same and group fine.I know there is better products out there in some eyes and them bee's I'm hearing about sound great. but I'm not ever going to shoot them because I'm happy and I can't see any room for improvement. and I have more confedece in my bow now than I have ever had in any bow I have ever hunted with .I know where it's going to hit every time.it has took years to get to this point .and when it comes to hunting conference in your equipment is more important than the name on the side of it.so I don't need to be told about bees and xcalaber because if they were giving it to me for free I wouldn't ever use it.I guess it's hard to describe to guys always looking for something better but I can remember the first time I actually saw the bolt in flight thru the scope. I mean really saw it.it was like magic and I felt like I was connected to it. you can laugh at me and call me crazy I don't care. but I will never change my set up .I'm not trying to be ugly and if I came off that way at fist I really didn't mean it.but I know what my scale said when I weighed the bolts I have and there is no difference like what Barnett told you .I guess I'm really lucky. but I have shot rifles for years and I know when you have that connection with a rifle what you can do. its the same with my bow.and that bow just happens to be a Barnett and the bolt are headhunters. .that is not for everyone I know but that's what I'll shoot until it is stolen or breaks . I'm one of those guys.and I use to hate those guys when I was coming up but now I understand. my uncle use to have a old 270 pump that had 2" of dust on the scope but you would have to fight him if you offered to clean it.I seen that man make shots that would make even the best scratch there heads while running dogs in NC. again I'm sorry and was just saying there is no weight deference in my bolts and can't believe that Barnett would say their products are worse than they really are. but if they did they did.I will post pics of the bolts I have on the scale this weekend. I will even post pics of my groups if you want. just let me know what yardage you want them shot at.

16. Reverse Raptor

Dude I'm only telling you what happened to me out of like 9 only 5 would group. I emailed Barnett telling them what i was experiencing & they BARNETT told me that their HeadHunter bolts weights can vary by + 8 gr. to - 8 gr. Again that's what they emailed me. I believe you & your scale perhaps i got a bad batch you got me. The 5 well 4 now i r.hooded 1 shoot dime size groups but they are not so cheap either & i wish all mine would group. I got a few different makes of bolts & was happier with headhunter bolts just not that they all don't group the same, that's been my experience with them & if i cant get my problems with the other bolts straightened out . I will be going opening day with the 4 HeadHunter bolts i have because i'm deadly with them.

17. One less thumb

I have in the past used those washer weights to get a bolt up to weight. and sand paper on the inserts on the heavy ones to match them.I had got these at Wal-Mart I think they were made by carbon express but I have sence stopped using them.

18. Reverse Raptor

HeadHunter bolts are a Easton/Barnett bolt . I haven't had to tried washers yet. Just changing the f.points till i find one that gets the bolt to hit bulls eyes.