Hello from Fort Leonard Wood

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jdmitchell, Dec 12, 2015.

1. jdmitchell

jdmitchell New Member

New member here, my name is Jeremy and I have been bow hunting for about three years. I am a disabled vet and am wanting to make the jump into the crossbow world due to medical reasons. I have had a great archery season so far with a nice buck and two does harvested but I would love the advantages that a crossbow offers. I was looking primarily at Excalibur, Mission, and Ten Point but while visiting my local Ten Point dealer last night I was introduced to Hickory Creek. Wow, is all I have to say. It was the full size version with 125# limbs. I am still doing some research and have contacted Jerry to get more info but the vertical design and the simplicity really has me salivating. I'm ready to retire my old PSE and hope to get some good honest feedback. My biggest question is will I be able to let my children shoot the full size version (under close supervision) or should play it safe and go with the slightly slower mini version? Thanks for any info and feedback, good or bad, but admittedly I haven't found any bad, except for people that don't care for the unique design.

2. Tim50

Tim50 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Nation & thanks for your service & sacrifice!

3. SPECIALIZED

SPECIALIZED Super Moderator

Welcome to crossbow nation.

4. FX4SHOOTER

FX4SHOOTER Well-Known Member

Welcome to CBN!

5. Hunter2

Hunter2 Senior Member

Welcome to the Nation! My Dad was there during WW2.

6. BILLVP

BILLVP Member

Welcome to the Nation!

7. Fullquiver

Fullquiver Active Member

Welcome to the Nation....

8. two tines

two tines Active Member

Welcome aboard. Done my basic training there in '76, B4 3. I think the vertical design is a different concept. IMO, the horizontal design would be more forgiving. Since I've shot several deer left handed (being right handed), because they come in that way. That vertical design doesn't seem to have as much versatility.

9. jdmitchell

jdmitchell New Member

The vertical design is better IMO due to the fact that you can brace against a tree and also the fact that you have backup peep and pins in case the scope goes down. I don't know of any horizontal crossbows that have that kind of flexibility.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Tapatalk

10. jag

jag Member

Wow! you have named 1 advantage for your "does not have as much versatility" statement. I am sure that others along with myself would like to know more. What does"more forgiving" mean to you? Please educate us,
    JAG

11. jdmitchell

jdmitchell New Member

What I would really like to know is if you have fired a Hickory Creek? If not, I think you should at least give it a try before you draw any conclusions. Is it different? Yes. Does that make it inferior in any way? Absolutely not. I was so surprised by the balance in my hands and also how quiet and smooth it was while flinging 400 grains arrows (not bolts) downrange at 360 fps. I have only shot about dozen (Hoyt, PSE, Elite, Ten Point, Matthews) nice compound and cross bows in my short time as an archery fan and I can say without a doubt that the Hickory Creek vertical design is the quietest and smoothest I have ever shot.

12. hlcclh

hlcclh Active Member

Welcome to the Crossbow Nation.

13. two tines

two tines Active Member

It's probably a sweet shooting bow. I would love to shoot one. From a ground blind or stalking, it might be a good bow to use. While on stand (whether its a tree stand, ground blind, etc), I try to envision possible hunting scenarios and how I would adapt, by switching hands or possibly a more vertical shot, etc. Just to me, the hickory would seem to be limited. Not saying, you couldn't move your body in position. But, up close deer hunting will teach you what you can do and can't do.

14. Gabowman

Gabowman Well-Known Member

Welcome to the boards. :)

15. jdmitchell

jdmitchell New Member

I guess I fail to see the down side of "up close hunting" with a vertical crossbow vs a normal crossbow. The only thing that a normal crossbow allows you to do that a vertical setup won't allow is the prone position. I haven't fired a bow from the prone position though and don't know of any situation where I would want to. If anything the vertical setup from hickory creek is more useful for up close shots due to the pins/peep.

16. Educator

Educator Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard!

17. mathewsxlr8

mathewsxlr8 Member

Welcome to CBN!

18. bltefft

bltefft Active Member

Welcome to the Nation from Columbus, GA.

My Excalibur Matrix 380 is awesome, but my Scorpyd Orion 160 Extreme is awesomer - at 20 yds easily shoots arrows in the same hole.

All the Best,
    Bobby

19. buildingandrenovations

buildingandrenovations Member

welcome i have not shot one but i have bow hunted over 40 years with verical recurves longbows and compounds i have a bad shoulder i can now after seven years shoot low weight coumpounds and i think you would have to move a little more and in shooting poistions mite have some advantages over horzantal crossbow but at the end of the day its all what you like. the weight could be a problem in some states were i live 125lbs is min weight that being said i would love to try one

20. SAM

SAM Member

welcome to the nation.