HHA Xbow Optimizer review?

Discussion in 'General Crossbow Discussion' started by Don Harvey, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Don Harvey

Don Harvey New Member

I've been reading about the HHA Xbow Optimizer. after viewing the video on their web site the sight looks pretty impressive. Does anyone have any experience with one on their xbow? I'd like to get your input before a purchase. I shoot an Excalibur Grizzly and a Ten Point Turbo II. Thanks

2. Old Summit

Old Summit Senior Member

I guess the first question is, are you into hunting more or target shooting more. Would be the first question that would come to my mind. Cause there are other alternatives that may be better suited for each situation, jmo.

3. vaguru

vaguru Senior Member

I have been using them since they came out. Excellent product, works as described, accurate and repeatable. I prefer this to other options out there as I don't like a "cluttered" scope view.

I use it both for target and hunting. I find no issues with it while hunting. JMHO

Trader Jack likes this.
  4. bunnyrabbit

bunnyrabbit Active Member

I have the HHA Optimizer on my Barnett Ghost 410. Setting up: make sure you sight in at the 20 and 60 yard marks and shoot each repeatedly for accuracy. Once you have this done, install the proper tape and you are good to go. For a scope I am using the Opitex 3 to 9 power (which I received years ago as a safety award). At the present time I am using the crossbow for target shooting, but later it will be used for hunting. All one needs is a good quality range finder to go with this set up. Check your yardage and then rotate the wheel on the optimizer to that yardage. All the best.

5. Sidney

Sidney New Member

I have HHA Optimizer on my Excal. Matrix 380 with tact-zone on it. And on my Tenpoint Turbo XLT II with Vortex Viper XBR 2.5-10 x. On both xbows works perfectly. With Vortex scope is kinda useless for normal range. But I use it for for long range, when I dial HHA on max, and than Im using the scope click.
    Sid

6. Don Harvey

Don Harvey New Member

Thanks for the input gentleman. I'll be using it for both target shooting and hunting. but I do a lot more target shooting year round.

Trader Jack likes this.
  7. Buckstop515

Buckstop515 Well-Known Member

Great product I have them on all of my Mission MXB's. I was told by HHA that the long awaited 100yd tapes are now available.

8. Gabowman

Gabowman Well-Known Member

They'll work fine for both targets and hunting. It's all about preferences and what you get used to.

9. bltefft

bltefft Active Member

I have an HHA Optimizer, with dedicated Hawke Optimizer scope, on my 2015 Orion 160 Extreme. I set it up using 1oo-grain tipped arrows and have since decided to shoot 125-grain tipped arrows. It was dead-on accurate with those 100-grainers. I'm gonna see how the current tape works with the heavier arrow out to 60-80-100 yards (I now have their new 100 yard tape). I'll probably have to "redo" the setup (put on another start-up tape and then redo it by shooting to 20 and 60 yards, to see it I need another numbered tape).

10. bunnyrabbit

bunnyrabbit Active Member

bltefft: Changing to the heavier points, you will find any yardage past 20 the drop will increase considerably. I found this out by changing to a heavier arrow. Make up a narrow strip of paper and mark it where your installed one sights in at what ever yardage you are shooting. Lay this one on top and tape the ends. This way if you wish to go back your original tape you won't have damaged it. All the best.

11. bltefft

bltefft Active Member

Thanks bunny, good idea.

12. Condor

Condor Member

Works good for target but I didn't like it for hunting, the dial is on the right side and I'm right handed I have to move the bow just to read the dial it would be fine if your left handed. I went with a Zess XB 75

Old Summit likes this.
  13. jon.henry755

jon.henry755 Well-Known Member

Changing to heavier arrows always means a reduction in velocity (speed) of your projectile. As soon as you alter this weight / speed combination it would alter your 60 yard setting on the optimizer. This would yield a different tape selection in the HHA Optimizer package.

14. bltefft

bltefft Active Member

I set up my HHA using 100 grain field pointed arrow. I knew it would require another tape if I went to 125 grainers. That's one of the reasons I staying with 100 grain field points on my arrows.

Bobby

15. Buckstop515

Buckstop515 Well-Known Member

Thats one advantage the HHA Kinpin for vert bows has. There are extra wheels available for different set-ups. I suspect 25 gr is probably only 1 tape off.

16. bltefft

bltefft Active Member

Extra wheels, now why didn't I think of that? Thanks

Bobby

17. Mike41

Mike41 Active Member

I think the best hunting option is the PARKER (HAWKE) RED HOT PIN POINT. Same concept as the HHA. Only the hole unit is sold as one. The base and scope come together. You will love the Quick ranging turret. Or speed turret. It's located on top of the scope in the same place as a normal scopes height adjustment would be. One set back... The sight in bracket they use to get your initial zero can be sloppy. It's an easy fix. B4 you even get started take the 2 mount screws off from inside the bracket and simply apply thread lock. I have 2 PIN POINTS and they are my favorite scopes. They are 4x32 scopes. No magnification other than the 4x32 focus. Which is minimal! I'm not sure what the need is for magnification at 20-80 yards, but to each his or her own! Magnification is great for target shooting. 2x7 should be WAY MORE than enough for any crossbow. With a max. Range of around 100 yards! I also have the HAWKE XB/SR/IR 1.5x5x32 range compensation scope. Real nice hunting application too! The little bit of mag. Is plenty!! My philosophy on shooting is higher magnifications create a lazy shooter!! If you want to increase your shooting accuracy use the least mag. Necessary and practice holding on target and shooting! You will have to apply your aim small miss small at an elevated level!! Take it from an Infantry Marine that tought other Marines how to shoot better. We shot at 500 yards using iron sights. THATS THE WAY TO INCREASE SHOOTING SKILLS!! Big Time!! Good luck!!

18. bltefft

bltefft Active Member

Thanks, Mike. The new HHA tapes now reach out to 100 yards - I have a pack.

Bobby

19. Reverse Raptor

Reverse Raptor Active Member

Yes I bought the Optimizer Lite Speed Dial with the Optimizer X scope package & they work great on my Raptor Reverse Draw Xbow, you will need a rangefinder if you don't have one. I got a Simmons with tilt intelligence which gives you the correct yardage if your shooting from a treestand or up/down slope. You should be able to see both the Optimizer & the Optimizer X scope in my picture

Attached Files:

20. JC1466

JC1466 Member

I have one on my Ghost 410 and really like it. I have the Hawke scope. I need the magnification because I don't see well anymore. And I really don't like multiple crosshairs.