how to add videos to a new topic

Discussion in 'Forum Operations' started by two tines, Mar 29, 2015.

1. two tines

two tines Active Member

I would appreciate the instructions on how to add videos I uploaded to youtube to a reply or new topic. Thanks steve

2. jackpine

jackpine Active Member

If you look at some of the videos I've posted you'll see I'm not an expert. I just experimented until it worked. I'm assuming you're at a point where you can view your video on YouTube. If that's the case, you click on the share option and when you do that the address will appear enclosed in a blue box. Copy that box and paste it in your comment (post). However, for me, lately what's being copied to the post is the address rather than the video itself showing in the post. It might be related to a glitch in the web site program. I'm also experiencing an issue that presents as my being able to type continuously on one line rather than the text automatically being put on the appropriate next line (as in one below the other). As though the margins function is not working. I noticed another poster is having the same problem.

3. Old Summit

Old Summit Senior Member

I'm like Jackpine, took me for ever, with a lot of mistakes, but instead of typing in the number, I would go to bottom of post and click on more options, and drag the whole video from my youtube collection, but i tell you, i got a new computer , so i will have to start all over, and i hope i can remember how i did it lol . Happy Trails

4. jackpine

jackpine Active Member

I​
    have​
    not learned​
    how to set the​
    right margin. But I have​
    learned if you select the center ​
    the text option I can make what​
    resembles a very crude arrow head or​
    christmas tree. Which doesn't go far in terms of​
    resolving the no right margin issue but​
    it​
    is​
    cheery.​

5. Old Summit

Old Summit Senior Member

http://youtu.be/jBNO1UfEFU4 Just seeing if I could still get it done lol . Happy Trails

jackpine likes this.
  6. urban legend

urban legend Administrator Staff Member

There are two ways. It really couldn't be easier.

#1 Copy the full URL and paste it in your post. Most browsers now only show you a segment of the url not the full url. This is where people are having issues. It has nothing to do with the CN site, just the info you are telling the site to read. Here's how you check. Look at your URL right now when viewing this topic. If it says crossbownation.com your browser isn't showing you the full url. It should look like this. http://www.crossbownation.com/forum/topic/34690-how-to-add-videos-to-a-new-topic/. On safari if you click the url, the full url will show and then you can copy it. I don't have any other browsers to play with, but I am assuming there is a preferences for your browser app where you can turn on full urls.

#2 Fromt any Youtube video. Click the share icon. Your url you need to copy will already be highlighted. Copy it and paste it into the post.

That's it. The site will do the rest.

Old Summit and jackpine like this.
  7. two tines

two tines Active Member

Thanks for the help guys, but things still not working out. jack -I tried the share, then copy what's in the blue box. When I try to paste it, the paste is grayed out. Maybe, I'm not uploading right, it says something about my "channel."

8. jackpine

jackpine Active Member

I get something similar to that sometimes. I think if you set your flashing cursor (say put it in the upper left hand corner of the space you can type in) and move the non-flashing cursor away and return it to that same spot where you cursor is flashing and then hit enter or tap your sensor pad (and then paste there) it may work. This is all after you've copied the URL. It's like if you don't put the steady non-flashing cursor (the one you move around the screen) where the flashing cursor is and then paste the machine doesn't know where to paste. I made the terminology up by the way. I'm pretty sure there are names for those little doobies but I don't have a clue what they are. Good luck.

If it has something to do with uploading a video to YouTube I don't have a clue.

9. jackpine

jackpine Active Member

Did you make this video, John? I enjoyed it. Was watching for old mossey to stick his head out.

10. Old Summit

Old Summit Senior Member

11. Old Summit

Old Summit Senior Member

Yep, made it last year, one of my favorite hunting spots, shot a buck from the first tree, this past season, went ten yrds , down . I think you may have to post it to your channel first, try that and see

12. GRIM

GRIM Active Member

The next time you wish to post a link, click on the icon in the upper left of the dialog header. When you run your curser over it, it should read BBCode mode. Once you click on the icon, the formatting of the comment area will alter to a different format and you should be able to post any link you wish.
    The issue has to do with your browser settings, changing your settings or using a different browser could help but the icon is easier.

GRIM

13. two tines

two tines Active Member

I'm giving up for now. Can upload vid, copy link, but can't paste it anywhere. Try again at another time.

14. bltefft

bltefft Active Member

I simply upload my videos to YouTube and then add a link a thread to the video. Works fine..

Old Summit likes this.
  15. Old Summit

Old Summit Senior Member

x2 Takes for ever to load to you tube, lol but it works.