Legal Transportation

Discussion in 'Crossbow Legislation' started by Tucker, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Tucker

Tucker Member

I was wondering, what is legal to transport a crossbow in a vehicle in Michigan (or any state). Bolt removed? Uncocked? In a case?

2. dbllungem

dbllungem Member

For Michigan, the laws are the same as if you're transporting a firearm or vertical bow. "...unloaded and in a case, or unstrung, or carried in the trunk of a vehicle with a trunk, or when transported on an ORV equipped with and made inoperative by a manufactured keylocked trigger housing mechanism. These rules apply whether your vehicle is parked, stopped, moving, or is on private or public property".

3. Tucker

Tucker Member

Do they have to be uncocked, or just the bolt removed and in a case? If you hunted in the morning and wanted to go in for lunch and come back out for the afternoon, you might not want to shoot it to empty it. With a rifle you empty the chamber and remove the magazine and case it. Just a thought. I don't own one yet (Researching & shopping) and I might be getting ahead of myself with some of these questions.

4. Jetster

Jetster Senior Member

I would think it would be as long as there no arrow on the rail its un-loaded and legal to transport..... :unsure:

5. SPECIALIZED

SPECIALIZED Super Moderator Staff Member

Just asking,why would you not shoot the crossbow to unload while at your hunting spot?
    Then reload when you return.Carrying around a cocked crossbow,while not hunting or placing in a vehicle even with out the arrow can cause damage if accidently fired.

6. Tucker

Tucker Member

Good point!
    I was just wondering what the letter of the law considers "Legal". I would hate to be ticketed on a technicality!