Limbsavers for Predator

Discussion in 'Barnett Crossbows' started by Lowrider, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Lowrider

Lowrider Member

I was thinking of getting the Sims Limbsaver Kit for my Predator. Does anyone

have any experience with limbsavers on their crossbow regardless of brand?

Also, will installing them cause a loss in arrow speed? I don't want to lose

speed. That's a high priority for me.:rolleyes:

2. Mike

Mike Senior Member

I've tried a coupla different dampers.

While none will "silence" a crossbow, I like the Bowjacks brand. They now advertize on the Archery Talk site. I've got them on three bows currently.
    IF you're interested, on their web site, they have many different styles. More and more shops are carrying the brand.

Mike

3. oldbhtrnewequip

oldbhtrnewequip Senior Member

I've got a pair of the quad type limbsavers on my excal exomax. They quieted it down some. What you really want is a double STS based on what you said.

seriously...check it out....dave at wyvern has 'em (limbsavers too).

Good luck :)

Pete

4. Lowrider

Lowrider Member

Thanks fellas!

5. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Senior Member

Hmmmm. I'm confused. I thought the Predator had the AVI dampening coating on the limbs already. Not being an engineer, but I wouldn't think a dampeneing device on the limbs would accomplish much to what's already been done to the limbs. The Predator's I've shot have been some of the quietest shooters I've come across.

I have the Sims setup on my Darton and it's seems to be okay. Not as quiet as your Predator. The more I shoot the Predator the more I'm becoming a fan of this particular Barnett offering.

6. BarnettXBows

BarnettXBows New Member

The AVi material is specifically designed to dampen vibration. The reason that the Predator is so quiet (88.0 dB) is due to the AVi overmold.

I don't know if the bow will get any quieter by using Limb Savers but a lot of the fun of shooting is experimentation.

BXB

7. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Senior Member

Nice to see I knew what I was talking about ;) :). Gotta give Barnett props for the Predator.... that is one sweet xbow. Enjoy it Lowrider.

8. Lowrider

Lowrider Member

I am enjoying it Sparhawk! I guess I'm not used to crossbow noise. Sure would

like to find another to shoot so I could compare.

9. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Senior Member

THere are only four guys at my club that use crossbows; we get some flak from the regular bow diehards but it's all in good fun. Rob has a predator and as much as it pains me to admit, it is quieter than my Darton Impact. it's also quieter than Ben's Ten Point. As far as accuracy goes I've shot the PRedator and it groups fairly well. I just have some issues with the trigger and the long pull. Nobody, in my 'biased opinion', has a better trigger than Darton. Bottom line, the Predator is one quiet xbow and will shoot flat and give you all the performance you need. I'm glad you're happy with it, I know from shooting Rob's, it is definitely silent and fast.

10. Mike

Mike Senior Member

Ha..quiet crossbows...

The Horton 175 reCon is pretty quiet, the Bowtech Desert Stryker isn't too bad. I understand the Twinbow is quiet...but haven't heard one, so I can say.

Other than those...crossbows make lots a noise.
    You can take some of the sting out of some of them...but they will still be noisy.
    And yea...I shoulda realized way back in this thread...your bow limbs are already deadened with a rubber coating! Not gonna be able to do much better than that!

Mike

11. Lowrider

Lowrider Member

I didn't know if the limbsavers would help any more or not. I knew it had the

dampening system but thought maybe more would help. I really like this bow a

lot even though some people bash Barnett. At 20yds. out my son says it sounds

like a basketball hitting asphalt! :( But shooting it the sound is more of a

loud crack! It is a fast accurate cb.