Maintenance Requirement for Compounds

Discussion in 'General Crossbow Discussion' started by leejacstu, Dec 11, 2010.

1. leejacstu

leejacstu New Member

I am new to crossbows, but I used to hunt with compound bows. I am not into archery, but I love the extended hunting season that a crossbow will provide. I will certainly practice enough to ensure a clean kill vice wounding animals, but I'm not into countless hours on the archery range so I am looking at crossbows. I have narrowed my search to the excalibur equinox and the tenpoint lazer hp.

I keep hearing that compound crossbows require more maintenance, tuning, timing issues, etc. How maintenance intensive are they? If I go with the tenpoint, how often will it need to be in the shop? 1-2-3 year maintenance schedule? Are they prone to messing and interrupting my hunting season?

The main thing I don't like about the excalibur is the width, although I hunt from a climber so it won't be a huge disadvantage. If the compounds are maintenance intensive, I will probably go with the excalibur. Your opinions and advice would be appreciated.

2. urban legend

urban legend Administrator Staff Member

Both bows mentioned are really good bows with manufacturers that stand behind their products. The maintenance on a compound is really not that different from a recurve. Wax the string, lube the rail, oil the trigger, etc. The advantage of the recurve is, when it comes time to change the string, or reserve it for that matter, it can easily be done from the comfort of your living room with no special presses or tools. A compound crossbow will need a press in order to change the string out. The question is how often will you need to change the string? Normally, we like to see guys change them every couple years or so depending on just how much you shoot. Some guys I know have 15 year old crossbows and still shoot the same string, while others change strings every year. With outstanding customer service from both companies, if you did have to send your crossbow back for any reason, you would have a fast turn-a-round.

3. thirdhandman

thirdhandman Senior Member

Leejacstu: Welcome to the nation. Both bows you brought up are excellent, good performers. From your comments about not wanting to spend a lot of time shooting, Both bows will serve you well. Chances are if you break a serving you will take both bows to the shop to be repaired. You can wax the string and oil triggers on both bows probably 2x a year will do for a couple hundred shots. I don't think maintenance on either bow would be a problem.
    The more parts there are, the more potentially can go wrong. But if something goes wrong both companies have a good reputation of git er done.
    That being said, my personal preference is a compound crossbow for the same reasons as I prefer a compound vertical to a recurve. Recurve technology hasn't changed much at all in the last 100 years. Compound technology in the last 40 years is unbelievable. I have an Allen bow that had 20% let off, wooden limbs, 4 pulleys and at 60 lbs could not get 200fps ibo. I now have a couple PSE's, 70% let off, composite limbs, two cams shooting 340fps IBO.
    Today's compound crossbows are very similar in advancements. Mechanical advantage is a wonderful thing. Yes it can break, but it is built to withstand thousands of shots. Shooting a couple hundred a year should not be a problem.
    Either choice will serve you well.

4. hankenhunter

hankenhunter Guest

Hi Leejakstu,
    Man, you dont know how much fun you are going to have! I own both types of xbow, a
    Equinox recurve and a Barnett Rev.Compound.I built my own press for the compound. I
    much prefer a recurve over the compound simply because it's simple. If I break a string
    in the woods I can change it out in less than 3 minutes and back to hunting. Both bows shoot awesome.The only time I use the compound now is if I am going to sit in a small
    ground blind or crowded tree stand. The Equinox is used for every other situation.
    Both have there good points. Thats why I purchased both to cover all scenarios.
    But bottom line the recurve will always be my favorite because if you have a string
    suppression system(sts) on a recurve you have way less chance of a blow up if(and you
    probably will) and less chance of damaging your x-bow.I blew up my compound and it
    was scarey and expensive. All cables and string broken and riser split in three
    pieces because of two dryfires.(my bad)The Equinox with sts has been dryfired 3x
    and no damage whatsoever. Just my opinion. Hope it helps.
    Happy huntin and merry xmas.
    Hank

5. leejacstu

leejacstu New Member

6. leejacstu

leejacstu New Member

Hank,

Do you hunt from a climbing stand with your excalibur? Almost all of my hunting is from a climber and I am wondering if the width will be much of a problem especially when they don't cooperate and walk behind the tree. Is the recurve much harder to manuever when compared to the compound?

7. Gary in Ohio

Gary in Ohio Member

I believe Hank is being 100% honest. But, don't put too much into this. Barnett has the worst reputation of any major manufacturer, especially for things like limbs blowing up. Ten Point bows are higher quality.

Easy string replacement is a nice feature of recurves. But it's something you only need to do once every year or two. If you don't want to take it to a pro-shop, there are portable presses and if you're handy you can make a homemade press.

Most maintenance is waxing the string, lubing the rail every 2 dozen shots and oiling the cams once or twice a year. If you have a good pro-shop near by, it wouldn't hurt to take it in after a few years to have them look it over.

8. vixenmaster

vixenmaster Guest

Don't knowed nutten about the compound style CB's. I own & shoot a 12 yr Excal vixen I do hunt out of a summit viper ss & hang-on stands & have no trouble killin tick toters from them. Not a whole lot of mait. with them, never need a press yer stringer & rope cocker do all yer take down work. Strings buy several extra's shoot them in Take one off tie a tie wrap from bread in the loops so they stay together. Then all you have to do in the field is change out string as its already set fer yer brace height, :lol:

9. Hardawaypoints

Hardawaypoints Member

I hunt almost exclusively out of a PortaClimb "cadillac" which you sit facing the tree(http://portaclimbstands.com/home.html ). *I'm not sure if I can post this here. If it is a problem, sorry...please delete* . I use the bars of the stand as an extremely steady rest for the bow (or gun) and get deadly accurate shots that way. Like any stand, you have to make sure you have plenty of clearance for crossbow limb travel to make sure your arrow flies true.

I customized my stand with a gun rack on the back where I keep a 30' length of rope, a couple of saddlebags to keep the backpack straps & locks in, and I covered the top rails with foam pipe insulation wrapped in camo tape to reduce noise. No telling how many deer I've taken off that stand in the 15 years I've been hunting off it, but it has been a bunch.

Jim

10. Cossack

Cossack Incurable Tinkerer

I hunt with both types of bows, make my own arrows, strings and bow maintenance equipment (press, string jig, string stretcher, etc.) ie this isn't my first rodeo. First, have not had a problem using my Excalibur's from tree stand. However, when hunting from a ground blind their width can be an issue. I use a leaf suit when hunting from the ground.
    Maintenance: compounds require more maintenance. It's not the waxing that's at issue. Changing a string or (even serving one) requires a press, Some bows-not unlike my Cyclone- are so narrow and heavy-limbed that the local shop's press can't accommodate it. Change only every two years UL ? Nonsense! You're going to have to re-serve the string if you practice diligently; as one should. And waiting for two years to change the string could mean that the bow will change it for you...at least the removal part!!!. :money: That means having your own press or taking the bow to a shop to service the bow. It will be out of commission for however long it takes to service it....if they can. Even if you do your own work, you still need to know how to adjust string and cable length to match cam rotation.
    Accordingly, IMO, there is no comparison in maintenance requirements by the two types of bows. I'm not saying it can't be done, just make sure you know what is involved and have support lined up before you make this decision.
    Example: I can change strings on my Excals in less than 2 minutes, using a simple stringer I made. In the field if necessary. On the compound it required being where my press is and takes considerably longer.
    Picture of stringer and press attached.

Attached Files: