Oil or String Wax on Rail

Discussion in 'General Crossbow Discussion' started by Rockin' G Ranch, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Rockin' G Ranch

Rockin' G Ranch New Member

Should I put oil or just string wax on the rail? I've been putting wax but seen ads for rail oil in tubes. Which is better? Don't think bow brand matters here but I shoot a Barnett Predator.

2. SPECIALIZED

SPECIALIZED Super Moderator Staff Member

no wax on rail

I would not put wax on the rail.

3. loneranger

loneranger Member

Use Jigaloo,no bildup and no smell,,found a large Walmarts,,most of em.

4. Rockin' G Ranch

Does it matter what type of oil or just any oil to reduce friction? Sorry for this question but I just recently purchased a Xbow and I want to make sure I do it right. No mention of oil on the rail in the owners manual-just to wax string after every 5 shots.

5. Undertaker

Undertaker Senior Member

I have heard of using silicone sprays, rail lubes, even bought and tried it.

But...read also that maybe it isn't the best thing to do either. Every bow is different, mine is an excalibur, and I am going with just waxing the string and ignoring any rail lubes. Your bow may actually enjoy some Jigaloo action. Give it a try and see what you like best. Many options available.

6. Sporty87

Sporty87 Senior Member

I use a little scorpion venom on the rail of my old xbow, seems to help. I also wax the string and keep and eye on the serving. Jigaloo is probably the same type stuff as scorpion venom, I just used what I had available.

7. vixenmaster

vixenmaster Guest

Don't use oil, it will soften string & serving. then string won't stand up to the trigger claws. you can use jigaloo on rail & i use Daltons wax on string

8. mississippibow

mississippibow Member

Barnett recomends Lubewax for their product. I think the reason is to fill the small voids in the composite rail. Iv only shot metal rails a few times in the past but I dont think they burr up like a Barnett. I would contact them reguarding other products not to void your warranty.

9. Moon

Moon Senior Member

I recently visited a local crossbow shop

and noticed they had gobs of oils and "goo" on the rais and center servings. What a mess! That stuff picks up dust (silica) and eats center servings and helps remove the finish from the deck of the crossbow. Use a dry type lube like Jigaloo that is wiped off after applying, leaving the surface super slick and it does not collect dust and dirt while hunting.

Attached Files:

10. grndhntr

grndhntr Senior Member

I don't use anything on my rail or the serving part of the string (I do wax the bowstring just like with verticle bows). I tested it and found that I could shoot in excess of 500 shots and then would need to reserve the middle of the string with no wax used. I have found no difference when I waxed the rail and when I didn't with my crossbow.

11. TPM

TPM Member

I never wax the rail though I do wax my string and serving every 75 shots or so. Wax on the rail will collect dirt and grit and will cause wear in your serving.
    Interesting to see the comments on Jig-a-Loo. I would have thought it would damaged string material as it contains solvents.

12. TripleM

TripleM Senior Member

My concerns also about any solvents in the lube. I guess most all lubes have some kind of solvent in them though I'm not sure.
    I did use wax on my serving when I first started shooting but within 10 shots I could already see build up on the rail. Haven't use it since.
    Being a newbie too, I'm a little leary of putting something on the bow without hearing of others' experiences. I'll keep checking on this post for more info.

13. SPECIALIZED

SPECIALIZED Super Moderator Staff Member

Rail lube

I have used jig a loo for almost a year with no ill effects to the string. First,do not put it on the string.Spray the lube very lightly on the rail only, then wipe completely dry before shooting.The other alternative is to spray on a clean cloth ,then wipe on the rail area untill dry. This leaves a very slick surface with no residue.

14. beervo2

beervo2 Senior Member

Nothing but Jig-A-Loo on the rail ....:)

Mike

15. AlexG.

AlexG. Senior Member

Use a dry silicon spray on the rail....
    Nothing on the serving.

16. kennisondan

kennisondan Senior Member

I use jig a loo on the rail wiped clean before and after and can feel it is more slick than without...
    I use wax on the string..
    nothing on the serving cause I beleive it will soften it and help it to separate sooner and need replacing.
    dk

17. Rockin' G Ranch

Where do you get Jig-a-Loo? I checked a local Wal-Mart but couldn't find it.

18. twinsticks

twinsticks Member

Home depot sells it

19. TPM

TPM Member

Quite the opposite is true. Servings separate because they come loose, not because they become soft. I've tried it both ways and done enough 3D shooting to learn the hard way, a well waxed serving will far outlast one that isn't waxed.

20. AndyC

AndyC Member

What is Jigaloo??
    Is this a dry silicone type of lube? I havn't seen this in Australia.