Opinions, for all. Please read.

Discussion in 'General Crossbow Discussion' started by SPECIALIZED, Dec 4, 2014.

1. SPECIALIZED

SPECIALIZED Super Moderator

This is just a reminder, all the forums on crossbow nation are open for discussion by all members, no matter if you own a particular product being discussed or not. True, a member who owns and uses a product would seem to have more in depth knowledge of the product and the company who manufactures the product as well as Warranties and customer service from personal dealings.
    However this does not preclude any member from joining in on discussions on any forum.

2. thirdhandman

thirdhandman Senior Member

Good thread there Specialized. People telling others what they have used and why they like it or not is one way of learning from real experience. It can save people a lot of time and money.
    Join in by asking questions helps. If one has a question probably others would like to know also.
    Opinions about a product without actually trying the product seem pretty useless. JMO

bltefft and SPECIALIZED like this.
  3. Old school bowhunter

Old school bowhunter Well-Known Member

Thank you Sir for declaring and clarifying that point. I think it is healthy for all of us to share our perspectives whether we own a particular product or not. In my experience in prototype development and system modifications some of the best input has been from people outside of the project and/or not part if the initial engineering or design.
    I also believe there are universal principles that apply across the board regardless of brand or product. I.E. poor quailty strings or cables on a bow isn't a good thing regardless of X bow brand.

4. Tim50

Tim50 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately in todays internet society we can have members who have absolutely no hands on experience it a given product, gathering info on the Net, & becoming an EXPERT from the comfort of their keyboard! Hands on evaluations from the average hunter always resonate more with me than some of the paid reviewers or over the top fanboys.

5. Old school bowhunter

Very true! Half the reviews you read these days are fabricated marketing tools and nothing more.

bltefft likes this.
  6. Old school bowhunter

Well I don't own one yet but I know I'm going to buy a Third hand Archery Bag Target for my next field point target for the xbow. I'm about done killing my old V bow target with it. :)

bltefft and 7ultra like this.
  7. two tines

two tines Active Member

morel double duty was a good target, very easy to remove. Then it got wet, not so good of a target now. Buries to the fletching, if it doesn't go most of the way thru and hard to get out other times.

bltefft likes this.
  8. Tim50

Tim50 Well-Known Member

I have owned one for a number of years a Morrell Super Duper target. It has not been babied out in weather and it still stops my arrows very well! I have it hanging so it does settle. I take the bag down give it a shake & flip it a bit & it is as good as new.

bltefft likes this.
  9. Mike41

Mike41 Active Member

How do you download a pic.in your icon box?

bltefft likes this.
  10. 420Archer

420Archer Member

I picked up a hurricane double sided target last summer...only to find out I'm not allowed to practice in my yard. After being left outside in the elements for 1/2 a year, it still stops field tips, but good luck getting your arrows out. I was also told NOT to use broad heads on it...I had to once to see what would happen...I'm glad I was I front of an 8 foot sand pile...went right through. Anyone have a suggestion for a target I can shoot broad heads into?

bltefft likes this.
  11. Mike41

Mike41 Active Member

I don't shoot my broadhead into my target sorry. I shoot expandables. They have always shot the same as my field points. I have Rage Crossbow, but I prefer the N. A. P. Kill zone rear deploys. The Killzones lock down tight unlike the Rage. Even if I use shock collars the Rage like to come apart in my quiver. I shoot the practice tips once I get sighted in. And I shoot them into The Block 400fps Orange target. The bolts pull out relatively easy. I do use rail lube directly on my bolts as well. I always twist the bolt using both hands before trying to remove it from the target. You will notice a small unlocking sound in the bolt when you twist it. After you hear that you can easily remove your bolt. I use the rail lube on the bolt because it makes it easier to remove it from the target, and it extends the life of the bolt. Not to mention less friction on the bolt and rail makes for even better groups. Is there any negatives to putting rail lube directly on the bolt?? Just wondering. I only use an extremely thin layer of lube on the bolt.

bltefft likes this.
  12. dropzone

dropzone Member

I agree Specialized but what get's me is some are just going to the different threads to put down the particular bow or manufacture. If somebody has a helpful comment or even creditable information is good. But to skip around to different threads just to inject there negative thoughts without any hands on information isn't helpful.

bltefft, bpowder, Stalker and 2 others like this.
  13. Stalker

Stalker Well-Known Member

X2!!!

bltefft likes this.
  14. SPECIALIZED

SPECIALIZED Super Moderator

I agree, but there is no way to prevent that kind of negativity before it takes place , when it becomes obvious that is what is taking place and rules are violated the member is warned or banned. We do watch for that type of pattern and several of the offenders are no longer with us and others have been warned.

15. dropzone

dropzone Member

Yea I understand it can't be prevented. Thanks Specialized you guys do a great job policing this kind of stuff.

bltefft likes this.
  16. Stalker

Stalker Well-Known Member

X2!!! CBN is the best.

bltefft and dropzone like this.
  17. XCAL1

XCAL1 Active Member

This Forum has been a tool for me to learn all the ups and downs of crossbows, how to get accuracy and hone my hunting skills. I would not be offended by any indifference that members have toward my posts and the bows of my choice. Instead, I welcome any and all responces. This is a great Forum, all members should respect other people's views.

18. tulsacountryboy

tulsacountryboy New Member

Hello, I am curious what other members think about the crossbow selection? Which in your personal opinion is the best crossbow to go with? I had a Barnett Penetrator but was stolen and at this time I am looking to purchasing another one. I liked the look and feel of that bow but I want something a little quieter possibly... I see some I like, but thought I would ask and see what others thought from their experiences.

bltefft likes this.
  19. 7ultra

7ultra Member

THE CROSSBOW SELECTION TODAY IS WHAT I WOULD CALL TREMENDOUS .THERE ARE MANY CROSSBOWS ON THE MARKET NOW AND I CAN ONLY SEE IT GETTING BETTER.THIS CROSSBOW CRAZE IS REALLY SWEEPING THE COUNTRY.DEPENDING ON YOUR BUDGET A PERSON CAN GET IN PRETTY DEEP IF HE OR SHE WISHES TO.I WOULD LIKE TO SUGGEST SHOOTING AND HANDELING AS MANY AS YOU CAN BEFORE YOU BUY .I WOULD DEARLY LOVE TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION ABOUT WHATS BEST . BUT I DONT WANT TO BE THE CAUSE OF STARTING WORLD WAR 3 ON CBN . I BELIEVE ITS PURELY PERSONAL PREFERENCE.GOOD LUCK

20. Old school bowhunter

Bigshot brand broadhead target or a Whitetail archery hybrid cube.

bltefft and BloodTrail like this.