Opinions, for all. Please read.

Discussion in 'General Crossbow Discussion' started by SPECIALIZED, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Old school bowhunter

Old school bowhunter Well-Known Member

Welcome to CBN. 7ultra's advice/recommendation is the way to go, if possible handle, shoulder, and shoot as many as you can to help you pick. I don't own one yet, but I think the Scorpyd RDT compounds are probably the fastest and quietest you'll find. I like recurves overall but they are louder than the compounds.

bltefft and tulsacountryboy like this.
  2. tulsacountryboy

tulsacountryboy New Member

7ultra I can understand not wanting to start a war lol I was looking at the Excalibur brand of crossbow I like the way they look and have heard they have an amazing product and excellent customer service as well... although I know that doesn't do much for a guy in the field...

bltefft likes this.
  3. tulsacountryboy

tulsacountryboy New Member

I took a look at the Scorpyd line of bows and was very impressed I WILL be looking into this bow!!!

bltefft and Old school bowhunter like this.
  4. Old school bowhunter

Old school bowhunter Well-Known Member

They are nice. Excalibur's recurve xbows are very nice as well. Bot are top quality and have excellent customer service. I leaning hard towards getting the Matrix 380 this year.
    Scorpyds are super fast and quiet but that doesn't come cheap.

bltefft likes this.
  5. 7ultra

7ultra Member

TULSA COUNTRY BOY

IF YOU ARE NOT IN A HURRY TO BUY A XBOW MAY I SUGGEST WAITING FOR THE ATA SHOW TO GET OVER WITH .THIS IS THE
    ARCHERY TRADE ASSOCIATION SHOW .ALL THE MANUFACTURERS SHOW WHAT NEW PRODUCTS THEY WILL BE RELEASING TO THE PUBLIC FOR 2015 AT THIS SHOW.I BELIEVE THE SHOW IS AT THE END OF JANUARY.IT WOULD SEEM A SHAME TO GET A BOW NOW AND 2 MONTHS DOWN THE ROAD YOU MAY SEE ONE YOU LIKE BETTER.THIS IS PERSONALLY WHAT I AM DOING AND I HAVE 2 XBOWS NOW. YOU CAN SHOOT ME A PM IF YOU LIKE. I HAVE AN OLDER EXCALIBUR AND A STRYKER 380
    1 RECURVE AND 1 COMPOUND

bltefft likes this.
  6. Buckstop515

Buckstop515 Well-Known Member

Tomorrows the last day of the ATA Show so check the web sites for the new products

bltefft likes this.
  7. alaska viking

alaska viking Member

I have a Penetrator, and for the money find them hard to beat. Dump the factory scope. I replaced it with a Nikon X-Bow scope, and love it. Of course there are better/faster bows, and the sky is the limit, if your budget is, as well. I am happy with what I have.

bltefft likes this.
  8. gberan

gberan Active Member

Opinions, everyone has one or two.....opinions are just that, a personal set of feelings about an object, news event, a personal experience,,,etc. based on ones background, upbringing, training, etc. When a person makes a statement in response to a post on this forum it should be an honest opinion and that a alone. If a person does not have an opinion based on actual use of, or personal involvement in the subject being discussed, that person should not offer an opinion but should ask questions that will generate answers to increase his or her knowledge of the subject so that he or she can develope an educated opinion and not a contradiction to the subject at hand.
    The purpose of this forum, in my" opinion", is to educate based on the posters personal experience, not contradict, or criticize. If a person has an opinion that is different from that of the original posters opinion and is based on actual experience, then the new poster should explain with background information why he or she does not agree with the original posters opinion. All post to a thread should refer to the original poster in an honest conversation to gain or give knowledge. It should not be to made to belittle, or start an argument. If you do not agree with the posters opinion, offer your personal experience on the subject in an informational way and not one that is designed to imply I am right and you are wrong attitude. Instead if you feel the post is totally wrong, start your own thread, with your experience and background on the subject without belittling the original thread. My only exception to this would be if the thread was an issue of safety. And the original poster was advocating something that would cause injury to a person or piece of equipment. Enough for my personal "opinions" and I hope everyone enjoys this forum and the wealth of information that can be garnered from all the members of Crossbow Nation. Keep up the good work Speciialized.........

bltefft likes this.
  9. Richard lucas

Richard lucas New Member

Hey poi dexter how is ur fang Xbox doing stil holding up have u been shooting it much I'm new member jus been following ur post about it let me know in pse forum thanks lucas from Tennessee

bltefft likes this.
  10. Gabowman

Gabowman Well-Known Member

With as big a membership that CBN has you can always find out a few opinions on a product and/or warranties when you arent sure of. That's what makes this such a good site IMO. We just all have to respect each other's feelings and try to get along.:)

bltefft likes this.
  11. gberan

gberan Active Member

Richard Lucas, yes my Fang is doing well so far. The only issue I have had with it is one of the E-clips on the left upper cam axle has come up missing twice. Haven't figured out why yet, maybe a bad grove in the cam axle....Poindexter

bltefft likes this.
  12. BloodTrail

BloodTrail Member

Sounds about right.

bltefft likes this.
  13. BloodTrail

BloodTrail Member

A good choice would be the BIGshot Transformer with removable and replaceable inserts which allows the shooter to adjust for their performance level. We use five on our archery range because of their durability. www.BIGshotTargets.com

bltefft likes this.
  14. condornh

condornh New Member

Waiting for the Mathews No-Cam to be turned into a crossbow.

bltefft likes this.
  15. Hunter2

Hunter2 Senior Member

The Nation is a very good site to post on, I appreciate the hard work it takes to keep it that way.

bltefft and Tim50 like this.
  16. CJOttawa

CJOttawa New Member

I make a point of trying to cite my sources and adding a disclaimer about my own biases and experience so people can make up their own mind about the credibility of anything I post.

Example: I have limited crossbow experience (shot friends Excalibur bows and now own a Barnett RAZR, shot about 100 times, sighted in to about 40-yards this past season) but have extensive conventional archery experience. I've built huntable longbows for myself and others and build my own arrows.

Something I have no personal experience with but feel it's worth contributing:

There are often differences between "crossbow" and "non-crossbow" versions of mechanical broadheads.

The NAP Killzone, for example, uses a stiffer rentention spring for the crossbow version and many people have reported the non-crossbow version opening in flight when used with a crossbow. The theory is that the sharp acceleration curve of a crossbow overpowers the retention spring.

There's a discussion on this over on "the other forum"... http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1750589

So, to bring this back to the topic of this thread: even if someone doesn't have personal experience, if they disclose their own biases and cite their sources, this forum becomes an excellent "data aggregation" tool - a place to collect knowledge.

bltefft and urban legend like this.
  17. jon.henry755

jon.henry755 Well-Known Member

Hi Jerry,
    I think most of the very experienced senior members of this website would give you a very similar response to the one I'm offering you below.

There are almost as many different makes and models of crossbows as there are rifles these days and one could easily ask the same type of question about which one is best? We know from experience that different people have many different criteria that make up their selection process. For example some are focused within a specific price category. Sometimes it's within certain speed ratings or certain styles. There are many, many other selection criteria also used. This stated, it's the compilation of these personal criteria that determines which crossbow best meets the needs of each owner.

This is exactly why our more knowledgable senior members will always recommend that you should see and shoot as many different makes and models as possible. Both those within your price category as well as those outside your price category. This gives you a better understanding of what you're getting for your money and what your losing at higher price points.

Like cars, most people are driving different makes and models based upon different needs or differences in what appeals to each owner.

Exercise you individual freedom of choice based upon what appeals to you as an individual!!!

Xbow755

18. Phil Talisman

Phil Talisman New Member

Thank's Specialized crossbow archery is growing more and more each and every day with more and more manufacturer's making them very exciting time's are ahead for all crossbow enthusiast's whatever you like to shoot,when i was a very young kid i used to love watching the weekly episode of Robin Hood and hated the sight of crossbow's back then for me Robin and his longbow was king,lol.But all that changed as time went by.What i love about crossbow's is that you got so much more going on it's so fascinating to me and i love designing and building bespoke handcrafted crossbow's made with real passion and love a crossbow has two definition's firstly there's the bow and string that cross'es the stock/tiller then the second definition is that it's a cross between a bow and a rifle.

bltefft likes this.
  19. William Pellegrino

William Pellegrino New Member

very true

bltefft likes this.
  20. Reverse Raptor

Reverse Raptor Active Member

I bought one of those buck commander xbow targets $40.00 but every shot i took( 20-30 yrds.) the bolts were melted into target & almost impossible to get out without damage. So instead of damaging any more bolts i made a target out of an old couch cushion. It has a zipper so i could stuff it with old phone books & cardboard it works great. So there's $40.00 out the window. I just don't understand why the bolts did that on a target that is supposed to be made for xbows ???

bltefft likes this.