Slick Trick's-crossbow or standard?

Discussion in 'General Crossbow Discussion' started by FX4SHOOTER, Jan 4, 2016.

1. FX4SHOOTER

FX4SHOOTER Well-Known Member

I've been a die-hard mechanical guy since the mid 90's. Never had a problem with them. My favorite head all time is the Rocket Sidewinder, awesome flight and performance. My worry is the blades aren't going to hold up to the energy of a crossbow. Want a head that I can pick up at a shop in town. This has lead me to Slick Trick. Seems to be a popular head hear and I'm wondering what version people hear prefer. I'm
    shooting 100 gr. and thinking
    about picking up the crossbow
    version. Ferrule looks like it will
    match up better with the arrow
    shaft. Any recommendations or accuracy tests between the two would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. WyoHunter

WyoHunter Member

I shoot 100 gr. Grizz Tricks and have very good accuracy. Haven't tried the crossbow version. I shoot 125 gr Slick Trick Mags in my compound. Both field points and broadheads shoot to same POA. Very sharp out of the box.

3. SWAMP DONKEY

SWAMP DONKEY Active Member

Wife & I have never lost an animal with S/T Standards.

4. FX4SHOOTER

Thanks guy's. I'm shooting 100 gr. and found out yesterday after a side by side comparison, the 100 gr. magnum and 100 gr. crossbow are the same thing. I did send an email to Slick Trick, but haven't received a response. Picked up a pack to try. We'll see how they do.

Educator likes this.
  5. JOE PA

JOE PA Member

I've had good luck with the Slick Trick Mags, both when I could still shoot my vertical compound, and with the crossbow. They are plenty accurate out to 50 yards with my crossbows shooting 340-350. You should be able to double band or triple band the Sidewinders and keep using them as well.

6. 5Rangers

5Rangers Member

Before this season I switched from 125gr Grizz Tricks to standard 125gr Slick Tricks, I also switched from G2 arrows to Black Eagle Executioners. I found a noticeable difference in accuracy for the better. I can't be sure what it was though with all the changes. The G2s were several years old and were inconsistent. I felt with the increased surface area of the Grizzys blades maybe that was lending to inconsistency. Anyway, I'm glad I made the switch.

Here's a pic of this years buck, 14 yd shot, interestingly with smaller blade of the standard, it went through, hit his heart and didn't touch a rib, he ran about 5 yds and stood there with blood pumping out until he keeled over.
    20151031_091616[1].jpg

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    Educator and USAF Ret in Wis like this.
  7. TheHammer

TheHammer Active Member

On my old Xbow tricks 175 grain the furrel is larger than the non xbow version to match the diameter of a 2219 shaft .343 diameter,

myayers likes this.
  8. bowman81

bowman81 Active Member

I use regular slick trick magnums in 125 gr. size.

9. USAF Ret in Wis

USAF Ret in Wis Member

Great buck and picture!!!

10. Educator

Educator Well-Known Member

Very nice buck! Congrats..

11. Cossack

Cossack Incurable Tinkerer

Grizz won't fly for me, but the Mags do...very well, thank you.

12. FX4SHOOTER

Thanks for the info guy's!

Congrats on awesome buck 5Rangers!

13. bunnyrabbit

bunnyrabbit Active Member

5Rangers: Congradulations on a successful hunt. Thanks for sharing. All the best.

14. highoctane

highoctane Well-Known Member

Ive used the ST Mags and Standards will equally impressive results..No deer or hog I've shot with them has ever traveled over 50 yds. It's all about shot placement...With that said, I will have Exodus Full blades in my quiver this Fall..

15. bowdup

bowdup Active Member

Crossbow or standard? It all depends on your FOC on your arrow. I shoot 125 Mag in front of a brass 100 gr insert. If my shafts had aluminum inserts then I would be shooting the crossbow heads in order to keep my FOC up. Hope this helps.