Storing the crossbow

Discussion in 'Excalibur Crossbows' started by rico334, Nov 27, 2010.

1. rico334

rico334 New Member

Should the string be removed from the limbs for off season storage of my Vortex ? Also, I know they sell a stand for one to sit on, however I don't want it to be left anywhere accessible to the dog or cat to gnaw on... :angry:

Will it hurt anything on the bow to fashion a mount to the wall where I can hang it from the stirrup ?

2. Boo

Boo Senior Member

You have to remove the DB pads before removing the string. Use a twist tie to hold the string loops together so the number of twists is maintained. Store in a cool dry place. Most people hang the bow by the stirrup. I use small coat hooks.
    I don't unstring 3 of bows that I am constantly shooting and have not noticed any speed loss yet.

3. rico334

rico334 New Member

Thanks Boo - I never thought about the strings being twisted. So when you buy a new string, are they pre-twisted and the loops locked together in the package or if not, how do you know how many twists they are supposed to have before installing ?

4. Boo

Boo Senior Member

The type of string and the desired brace height will vary the number of twists. An endless loop should start with just a few twists and a Flemish should start with lots more. It;s not like a compound where a specified string should have a certain number of twists as a starting point to get you close to a ATA measurement.

5. RonS

RonS Senior Member

I've never unstrung my Exocet during the "off" season! I've also never noticed any decrease in velocity,either.Shoots just as fast as the day I got it!

6. kbarr1

kbarr1 Senior Member

My Exocet is 10 years old and the only time it is unstrung is to reserve or put a new BOO string on.My bow is set up for IBO tournaments so I shoot alot.I have never had a problem by leaving mine strung.Good luck Kenny

7. See4miles

See4miles Active Member

Not only do I not unstring the bow, I leave my rope cocker on the strings with partial tension to boot. My Exomax is two years old and although I shoot it throughout the winter, it may sit for 3 to 4 weeks at a time between exercise. The first shot is always dead nuts and I have seen zero velocity loss so far.

8. awshucks

awshucks Senior Member

Same here as see 4, kept an Emax strung for 3-4 yrs w/ no loss in fps measured. Often left it cocked to break in FFF strings to boot.