Top five hunt crossbows

Discussion in 'Crossbow Hunting Room' started by bullseyetony, Jun 4, 2010.

1. bullseyetony

bullseyetony Member

Just curious or everyones opinions on the top five hunting crossbows.

2. Ranger

Ranger Senior Member

Which ever one I got at the time is number one to me! :eek:

My take on it is:
    Excaliber
    Ten Point
    Parker
    I have to quit. Can't think of any other brands.

Okay just got back from peeking at the Crossbow Manufacturer section!
    I'd have to add Horton to that list, but I don't know enough about the rest of them to make a judgement on what else should be in the top five.

3. bullseyetony

bullseyetony Member

I was looking for manufactures and models if possible. Easy cary. Good for the field and so on.

4. the dog

the dog Member

for hunting I would pick the simplest one I can find
    the one with not too many things to go wrong and spoil a shot at that trophy of a lifetime.

5. Guide Girl

Guide Girl Obsessed Huntress

IMO, we've taken all the models of Horton bows afield for at least 10 years pre-the latest takeover that sent everything to China, and the older bows, including all over the USA,(north and south) Canada, South Africa, and South America(Argentina) and you can't beat the old bows. I have a long love affair with the Legend 165 & 175 models. Butch loves the Hunter 175, and the VISION but the down fall is loosing the cocking device. Wouldn't that suck to get out fo the country to hunt and have that situation?
    If I could take any models of bow with me to hunt worldwide, I would look at the old Hortons & Ten Points. There is a good reason for those two companies bows. It would be a model that I could cock by hand, and I would also take a set of peep and pin with me, so it would have to be set up for the peep & pin if there were a scope problem. Happened to me in South Africa so reverted back to the peep & pin. Saved the life time hunt. Took the world record Warthog in 2003.

In all honesty I need to disclose this info too with the other. We took a Barnett Quad to Argentina, and the guide dry fired it and it exploded into peices. So, it would have to be a bow that could take abuse like that. Hence, the older Hortons.

P.S. You couldn't get me to leave the country on a lifetime hunt taking a #150 bow or less.

So Would need to be able to cock by hand.
    would need to be able to add peep & pin.
    would need to have tough limbs in case of dry fire.
    would need not too new string and cable.
    Never take anything brand new on a special hunt. Never. Including shoes/boots.
    You will be sorry if you do everytime. Know your gear, and know your appareal.

6. Gimmymac

Gimmymac Getting More Senior By The Minute Member

Is this a pop quize??? If so, Ranger won except I'd have to put Ten Point on top simply because I have one. And Bullseyetony, those are manufacturers of crossbows.

7. SPECIALIZED

SPECIALIZED Super Moderator Staff Member

Off the top of my head,would say.
    Tenpoint Turbo XLT.
    Horton Vision.
    Bowtech Strykeforce.
    Bowtech Desert Stryker.
    Excalibur's.
    Fortunately, Have a spare crossbow so maintenance in the field is a non issue ,never more than 5 minutes from a spare.
    And if I were going to some remote place to crossbow hunt and invested thousands of dollars would surely have a spare.more than strings have been known to brake.
    Have hunted with all of the above and taken many Deer and Turkey with the exception of only shooting the Horton vision.No one crossbow is just right for everyone.
    There are many variables to choosing a crossbow,such as how and where you hunt,what you hunt, your physical capabilities,as well as how a particular crossbow fits or feels,and last but not least,being confident with the crossbow.

8. snapper Dan

snapper Dan New Member

top 5

There are alot of top quality bowes out there.And you will get alot of difrence in opinion. Thinges about a bow that are important to me may not be a big deal to someone else.My self i want a bow with a good track record.With not alot of things to go wrong.Width doest matter to me i hunt on the ground most of the time any way.It is important to me to have support such as easy to get parts. I do not want to make a comerical out of this but with the bow i hunt with now if i had a break down with 1 phone call in 3 dayes i can have the parts to fix it! If i touch the string with a broadhead i can have a new one on and not evan go back to the truck. With all that being said i cant think of many that pass my test.We cant all like the same thing.Diffrent strokes for diffrent fokes Sorry about the spelling all to much huntin, fishin, trappin not enough learning :D

9. casper

casper Senior Member

Excalibur (any model) Scorpyd (any model) Ten Point Turbo XLT. Parker Terminator or Tornado. Darton Serpent.:D

10. Sporty87

Sporty87 Senior Member

I love my 6 Point GT Flex - very adjustable, recurve design means I can change my own string in a matter of minutes (or less) and very accurate.

11. urbanhunter

urbanhunter Member

Well I've only owned Tenpoint, have two Shadow and Titan and love both of them so I'd have to say Tenpoint, Tenpoint.

12. stephen simpson

stephen simpson Member

i have been happy with all of the bows i have owned. horton hunter 165#, 10 pt stealth x-2 and the latest and greatest, the strykeforce. if i think that i may hunt over 75 days in a season i might buy another strykeforce just in case something goes wrong with "number one". other then that i think i'm set for the rest of my life xbow wise.

13. bullseyetony

bullseyetony Member

I'm really surprised that we haven't herd more from the parker guys. I have a tornado and its awesome in the woods because of its size but I know we all have our own favorites and that's great that we all like different things that's why there's so many makes and models of everything we shoot. How boring would it be if there were only one bow for us to shoot. I don't think there's a wrong answer to my question I was just curious about everyone's opinion on this and love all the input keep em coming.

14. Arrowhead

Arrowhead Senior Member

Specifically,
    1-Parker Tornado
    2-Excalibur Ibex
    3-Ten Point Turbo XLT
    4-Parker Cyclone
    5-Excalibur Vortex

15. Sully_PA

Sully_PA Member

1-Excalibur Vortex/Exocet 200
    2-Excalibur Ibex/Phoenix
    3-Parker Tornado
    4-Ten Point Turbo XLT
    5-Whatever you can get on your budget.

16. mechmark

mechmark Senior Member

1 darton lightning
    2 darton impact
    3darton serpent
    4dartonimpact sport
    5horton dakota sl

17. widowman

widowman New Member

I like the Excalibur Exocet 200.

Enough power for anything you can hunt, but, not so powerful as to prematurely wear string or break bolts.

18. Bushnlo

Bushnlo Senior Member

Parker
    Tenpoint
    Horton
    Bowtech
    Excalibur

I have a Parker Tornado and I love it!

19. vixenmaster

vixenmaster Guest

Excalibur only ones i have ever owned, Vixen, Phoenix, Exocet 200 !

20. SEW

SEW Senior Member

I've owned and used extensively the following x-bows: Hunter Mag Extreme(now 10-pt), various PSEs(Foxfire,Flashfire,Starfire,etc), Parker Saf Mag(#150 & #175), and Strikeforce. My order: 1) Strykeforce, 2) Mid-Upper level 10-Pts, and 3) Parker in this order. If I heard that BT was going to discontinue production of x-bows, I'd likely get a ticket speeding to get a 2nd one. BUT LIKE MOST OF US, I'M ONLY REFERENCING MY EXPERIENCES. I expect that the Scorpyd, Swiss bow(I have shot one a few times - liked it), Horton Vison, the Excalibers, and others all have strong points and if I had experience with them, my list might be quite different. Yet, what matches the compactness, quality, speed,durability, accuracy, etc of the Strykeforce? Nothing that I know of or at least have experienced. So, for my usage(which might be different from others - we all differ) the Strykeforce seems ideal.