Vanilla

Discussion in 'Crossbow Hunting Room' started by whackadeer, Sep 21, 2012.

1. whackadeer

whackadeer New Member

I know some of you use vanilla as an attractant. Some questions, can I use the imitation or only use the real stuff? Do you water it down in a spray bottle? And do you just spray it on plants or use it some other way? Thanks, Tim

Stoney0264 likes this.
  2. ClintRhodes

ClintRhodes Active Member

I am interested to hear thoughts on this. I used vanilla for a few years when I was a young hunter. I always made sure the bottle said "pure" vanilla extract. I would dilute with water in a spray bottle and use it more as a cover scent than an attractant. Which means I would spray it on myself and on the tree limbs around me.

I can't really remember why I stopped using it.

3. StriperT

StriperT Member

Whackadeer, Check out this tread..
    http://www.crossbownation.com/forum/topic/20444-better-than-corn-need-that-secret-weapon/

4. whackadeer

whackadeer New Member

StriperT, I may be missing it in that post, but I don't see if I can use the imitation vanilla or if there is a mixture ratio of water to vanilla. But thanks for responding.

5. StriperT

StriperT Member

I've been using the imitation vanilla for the past 3 years.. I just found 12oz bottles for $1 at our dollar store. I bought 20 bottles.
    I do not mix it with water. Just strait out of a spray bottle. I spray it on my corn and then spread powdered sugar over the corn and kinda mix it in a little.
    It gets a real nice sweet smell that the deer in the area i hunt are use to now. Kinda smells like C,mere deer.
    Its works for me and i swear by it.

6. Stalker

Stalker Well-Known Member

I use the real stuff.1 part vanilla 5 parts deionized water in a spray bottle.I spray it on plants around me.I do use it on myself when it is cooler outside.It attracts bugs in the warmer months.

7. FlDeerman

FlDeerman Member

Way back in the old days that was the first cover scent we used,I forget what it was called.I've used vanilla in my dripper,it seemed to work.

8. whackadeer

whackadeer New Member

Thanks to all who responded