Would this work?

Discussion in 'General Crossbow Discussion' started by FlDeerman, May 2, 2013.

1. FlDeerman

FlDeerman Member

For those who have black powder hunted,would "bore butter"work as a rail lube?(After many years my old muzzle loader finally croaked and I still have a tube of it).

2. Cossack

Cossack Incurable Tinkerer

Bore butter is rather greasy, which attracts dirt that coshes string and deck wear. Much prefer a lube that dries after being applied, like Jig A Loo or other silicon spray. http://www.jigaloo.com/us/e_home.php . Be sure to spray it onto rag to apply to deck as the carrying agent can affect some paint.

bigmann292 and Rog like this.
  3. See4miles

See4miles Active Member

I would never use Bore Butter for the very reasons Cossack stated. In fact, I use no rail lube at all, compound or recurve crossbow. I keep the serving waxed and the rail buffed clean and smooth and I have yet to have a problem with either style.

I do from time to time use a high-tech polymer car wax on the rails but that's about it.

reticle4 likes this.
  4. bowdup

bowdup Active Member

Not to mention Bore Butter has a very strong smell........not good for hunting :sad:

5. FlDeerman

FlDeerman Member

OK thanks I knew I would get the answer here.The car wax sounds interesting.

6. AndyC

AndyC Member

This is good advice.

A properly set up crossbow (with string sitting a fraction above the rail), needs minimal lube IMO. Too much can be more detrimental than good.

I cringe when I hear some shooters say they apply every 5 shots or so.

allchokedup and See4miles like this.
  7. XCAL1

XCAL1 Active Member

I use a silicone spray I found in the auto store, apply to a rag like others mentioned, it buffs to a nice slick finish. I also use it on my arrows. I've used this and have shot several deer and they don't seem to smell the lube.

8. Techstuf

Techstuf Member

One may apply PTFE adhesive 'teflon' tape to one's rails. Teflon in remarkable in both it's friction and heat reduction qualities.

TS

9. Techstuf

Techstuf Member