Zeroing my new Hawke scope.

Discussion in 'General Crossbow Discussion' started by bltefft, Jan 7, 2016.

1. bltefft

bltefft Active Member

Zeroing my new Hawke scope.

Got my new 380 Mad Max in the other day and have shot it a few times, and it is really accurate.

Is it just me? The scope turrent direction arrow(s) seem backwards to me. I mean, when the arrow is hitting high, instead of spinning the turrent arrow opposite the way the UP arrow is pointing (like to move the POI downward), I had to move it even more in the UP direction. Why is that? The only way I can explain it is that the UP current arrow is moving the horizontal line of the crosshair in an upwards direction, thus making the bow shoot lower - is that how it is?

I reckon the same holds true for the vertical line of the crosshair. If your arrow is hitting to the right, and you want to shift the POI to the left, then you have to spin the current in the SAME direction the R indicates, moving the vertical line to the right, thus throwing the direction the crossbow is pointing to the left..

Now, I got it, but I just seems backwards to me.

Bobby

2. bunnyrabbit

bunnyrabbit Active Member

bltefft: I found the same thing you did. If for instance I held true on the bulls eye and I shoot to the right, I hold on the bulls eye and move the sight line to the spot where the arrow hit. Now when I aim at the bulls eye and shoot, the arrow should hit the bulls eye or very close calling for a minor adjustment. I do the same thing if shooting high or low. I just do either the vertical or horizontal adjustment until I have the one right, then I do the other adjustment. I mark every change I make on paper as a reference while sighting in. By doing this, there is less chance of going the opposite direction than what I was planning. All the best.

3. bltefft

bltefft Active Member

Bunny, good to know. However, a moment ago I ordered an HHA Optimizer speed dial, with matching Hawke Optimizer scope. I already have one on my Scorpyd Orion 160 Extreme. Can''t wait to get it on the 380.

Bobby

4. bltefft

bltefft Active Member

Guys, I also thought of something else. I was shooting on top on my Caldwell Field Pod, which isn't as steady as a bench rest. Today, I'm gonna set up my NRA solid bench rest and try it again.

Bobby

5. Whitetail_Ventilator

Whitetail_Ventilator Active Member

My Hawke XB-30 SR operates as expected. Moving the turret UP moves the POI up etc. Interested to see what you find with the bench rest

6. bltefft

bltefft Active Member

I now know that if the arrow hits low and I want to move it up, I turn the elevation knob counter clock-wise, which is in the same direction the UP is pointing on the scope's elevation knob. So, if the arrow hits to the left, I also turn the knob ounter clock-wise to move the POI to the right, which is the same direction the R is pointing on the knob.

7. Whitetail_Ventilator

Whitetail_Ventilator Active Member

Thanks....makes sense to me. I could see how a Caldwell Field Pod could throw you off a bit. Same as if you shoot off of a hard surface. In my experience that will cause a high hit.

8. bltefft

bltefft Active Member

Yep, my experience, too. Its been very windy around here lately (cross wind) so I'm gonna wait for a better day to shoot again.

9. Gabowman

Gabowman Well-Known Member

I do this same thing with bow or gun. Recording what moves you make keeps you from second guessing what move you made a minute ago.

10. bltefft

bltefft Active Member

Thanks, Gabowman. I'll try it.