• Please log in to reply

#1 skyscraper

skyscraper

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:13 AM

Yesterday I used my Barnett Quad 400 crank cocking device for the first time

when the bow reaches the fully cocked position, the edge of the "finger" on the cocking device is causing the serving windings to be spread apart, exposing the inner strands of the bowstring to the relatively square corner on the "finger"

seems like the edges of the cocking device "finger" should be rounded off to a generous radius.

has anyone else seen this problem? it is disturbing since it showed up immediately, and looks like the exposed inner strands could be worn quickly and possibly cause the string to break prematurely.

also, the position of the winding device spool on the cocking device seems to be turning in the wrong direction relative to the position of the string groove molded into the stock. I have assembled the unit exactly as shown in the instructions, with the ratcheting half of the crank spool in the right side of the stock (crank turns clockwise to cock the bow). as it stands now, the string rubs hard on the edge of the stock next to the spool rather than going straight onto the spool.

The slot molded into the slot would seem be be designed for the spool to turn in the opposite direction, since the slot is tangent to the top of the spool when viewed from the right side of the stock. but, this would require assembling the unit backwards from what is shown in the instructions, and then would have to turn the crank counterclockwise to cock the bow (if crank is on right side of the stock)

has anyone else seen this same issue and found a solution?

thanks

Skyscraper

#2 outrunner13

outrunner13

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • Locationbrooksville fla

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:31 AM

yes it will start to separted try to push them together and keep a eye on it i've gotten over 200 shots still good .and yes they turn clockwise they fall right in the grooves no problems there you can try to switch it but i dont think it will work lmake sure they are even when you cock it

#3 cal45

cal45

• Members
  • 1,524 posts
  • LocationWillington, Connecticut

Posted 11 October 2010 - 02:44 PM

I have the Wildcat C5 and I have the same issue with the serving. I just push it back together as much as I can. I've shot my bow probably 75 - 100 times. The string still looks good. As for the cocker string mine also rides hard in the grove at the bottom. I have my handle on the left side as that's my stronger side. I leave the handle on all the time. It's not in the way. Just have to be sure the knob is tight or it makes noise when shot. My biggest concern is the cocker string looks like it has a couple of worn spots on it.

#4 BigBowMan

BigBowMan

Happy Member

• Members
  • 1,757 posts
  • LocationBig Flats, WI

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:19 PM

Usually with cranking devices, if you crank it too far it will cause server seperation too. Once you hear the safety click, immediately stop cranking and reverse and remove the sled. As the other has stated too, just push the center serving back into position. Server seperation is also caused from the string inside the server gets stretched after repatative cocking like most crossbow servings. Good luck and Happy Hunting! :D

#5 skyscraper

skyscraper

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:07 PM

I spoke to a representative at Barnett this morning about the shape of the "hooks" on the cocking device that latch onto the bowstring. They have fairly square edges and thus put concentrated loading on the bowstring where it makes a sharp angle against the "hook" when approaching full draw.

Asked him if it would be OK to round off the corner of the "hook" where it is digging into the serving on the bowstring, so that it would better conform to the shape of the string where it contacts the hook, and he thought it should be OK. Obviously wouldnt want to remove a significant amount of material and weaken the hook, but should be able to make a big difference with just a little rounding off

look at the rounded shape of the "tumbler" part of the trigger which holds the string, and see how nicely rounded off it is. seems like the same rounded off shape would be beneficial for the inside corner of the "hooks" on the cocking device

Has anyone tried this approach? if so how did it work? Any unplanned results?

Or, would anyone recommend against doing this?

Thanks

Skyscraper
  • MARK325 likes this

#6 Ticran

Ticran

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:17 PM

Re: cranking device: I was less than happy to find that a cranking device was not an option for the Jackal. I thought they were built in options for those devices were on all Barnett models.

Ticran

#7 poindexter

poindexter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:09 AM

Have the same problem with my new Buck Commander, Barnett sent me a new string but I am sure it will do the same thing. When fully cocked there is a sharp angle on the cocking sled and it is also putting a lot of downward pressure on the string and winding. Keep us posted if you round off the edges on the sled, might work, I am worried about taking off too much especially with 175# draw. Poindexter

#8 poindexter

poindexter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:37 PM

I got to use the new string that Barnett sent my because the cocking device caused the original to seperate like you mentioned. Low and abehold the new one did not seperate, but the cocking device string broke when it was just about at full draw and caused a dry fire. Did not seem to do any damage to the bow though. I hand cocked it to finish the hunt. did not see a deer, must of skeered them off when the thing broke. Will contact Barnett tomorrow on that one.

#9 HaleySav

HaleySav

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMid-MI

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:14 AM

I got to use the new string that Barnett sent my because the cocking device caused the original to seperate like you mentioned. Low and abehold the new one did not seperate, but the cocking device string broke when it was just about at full draw and caused a dry fire. Did not seem to do any damage to the bow though. I hand cocked it to finish the hunt. did not see a deer, must of skeered them off when the thing broke. Will contact Barnett tomorrow on that one.

Where did it break? I mean, where on the string did it break?

#10 poindexter

poindexter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:50 PM

The string broke at the knot where the string is connected to the spools. Both sides broke in the same place, looked to me like the string may have been weakened when the melted the string at the knot to keep it from raveling. I contacted Barnett first thing Monday and they are sending me a new set of strings, they were helpful and did not hesitate about replacing the failed part. They even told me to keep an eye on my bow string and cables incase they were weakened by the dry fire. I am very pleased with the service...Poindexter

#11 skyscraper

skyscraper

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:21 AM

Poindxter........ to answer your question about rounding off the edges of the "hooks" which pull back the bowstring, I never tried this modification after becoming concerned about the apparent frailty of the very thin nylon string used with the crank cocking device. I was afraid that the strings could fail and cause a dry fire

Now I see that since posting my original message about modifying the "hooks", several other folks have reported string failures with the cocking device.

I've discontinued using the crank and have instead gone to a manual cocking method (which I describe in my reply to you under your separate posting above).

Skyscraper

#12 poindexter

poindexter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:11 AM

Skyscraper, I have not tried using the rope cocking device yet, one did come with the buck commander, I guess I am just lazy by nature, thats why I bought the winch cocking device. Anyway, I recieved the new cocking device string and spools, installed them and they are working great. At first I too was a little skeptical about the cocking string but now I dont have any doubts that it is ok. I do inspect the strings to make sure there is no wear or fraying. And I have found that the cocking device is not the problem with the server seperations, it is the server itself, not being wound tight enough. The replacement string that Barnett sent me has about 30 cockings on it and shows no sign of seperation....Poindexter

#13 Subcsailor

Subcsailor

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSouth East Ohio

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:44 PM

This is the best post yet. I put my cocking device on last night and noticed the serving problem. I will contact Barnett tomorrow. This will be my first conversation with them. Wish me luck.

#14 swampy

swampy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 656 posts
  • LocationSplendora,Tx

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:43 PM

#15 swampy

swampy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 656 posts
  • LocationSplendora,Tx

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:45 PM

Poindexter I doubt you hurt those limbs on your B.C.. They are very tough, The same thing happened to me and mine is just fine.

#16 Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationMontgromery county,Pa

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:18 PM

I've had the same problem with my Buckcommander....I end up taking it off and just useing the pullrope...when it gets colder in the season,i'll set it back up...with the pull rope it does no seperating of my serving and i just got tired of dealing with it...i did everything from fileing it down to dipping it in rubber compound nothing worked..hopefully in the future thier come up with something alot better...I bet they've sent out alot of strings the past 2 years...Thunderbolt

Edited by Thunderbolt, 05 August 2011 - 07:27 PM.

#17 Neil

Neil

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 12:46 PM

Seems to me like the cocking device is causing some problems. I was going to buy one since it is harder to cock the xbow in my climber with the rope but reading these posts I am scepticle on buying it. In yalls opinions does the cons out weigh the pros?

#18 Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationMontgromery county,Pa

Posted 09 August 2011 - 03:54 PM

Seems to me like the cocking device is causing some problems. I was going to buy one since it is harder to cock the xbow in my climber with the rope but reading these posts I am scepticle on buying it. In yalls opinions does the cons out weigh the pros?

Hey Don't get me wrong...Ilike the cranking device and i think it works great...except for seperating servings and i just can't be bothered with serving problems when , i only have so much time to shoot and hunt...I've tried everything to keep the device on my xbow....fileing, coating with Rubber...hook covers etc....I just wish Barnett would make a quality cranking device that does'nt seperate servings....there's no reason for it and they should have a recall on them...and if they do design a better one...that does'nt tear up servings i'd buy it...as for now they just want to send out new strings to every person who's having the problem...but how long can they do that..till warranty runs out? Its like fixing a gunshot wound with a bandaid...my 2cents...I'm useing the pull rope...at 51 years old,I can still pull it when i'm in my tree stand....and faster then the crank...Thunderbolt

#19 Devastator

Devastator

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:29 AM

I've never tried the crank on my quad. I personally cock it by hand. Some may say that it effects the accuracy but I have not had a problem. I just keep my fingers in contact with the rail and it cocks evenly everytime. I tried the rope cocker but found that it takes too long. That would come in to play if a second shot was required.

#20 Andrew

Andrew

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:57 PM

I have the same separation going but it seemed to stop. 60+ shots on it. Had to re-tie the knot on the spool. it almost came apart during draw. Didn't notice till I was going to draw again and one side was a touch longer.
I did the same as for dipping in rubber and notching the corners on my previous bow and cocking device I made and it did the same. Thick pads like on the rope cockers needs to be on the crank.