Carbon Arrow failure

• Please log in to reply

#1 davepitcairn

davepitcairn

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:14 PM

Can anyone tell me why a carbon arrow would fail like this? It was fired
could hear the string move then shortly there after a crack (loud) was heard.
The arrow looked sheared right before the vanes. I will try and post a
picture of it. Any ideas it was not stuck in a tree and there was no blood
or indication of a hit. I was listening for the shot from a fellow hunter who managed
to get a doe today with an F-150 at a velocity of 60mph. thanks Dave

Attached Images

• Broken arrow.jpg

#2 hunlee

hunlee

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • Locationnorth side of river butt not far from big water.....MICHIGAN USA

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:43 PM

You arrow not fail but broke ;) ;) ;) Arrow hit stone , rock or deflection off tree :lol: :lol: :lol: Hunlee is saddened to tell you this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hunlee

#3 Guide Girl

Guide Girl

Obsessed Huntress

• Members
  • 5,636 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:28 AM

Yea, looks like it hit something to me. I just did this with an aluminum arrow night before last. I was using a 2216 alum arrow topped with a MUZZY 125 gr PHANTOM and I went through a hog and the arrow hit a metal pole and broke in the same area. Even the fletchings were ripped. I thought I'd never see that with an aluminum arrow. BTW, the broadhead was still sharp and not bent! Amazing! I have to say the steel they used for those heads must be awesomely strong.
Normally, I have to say I'm not a fan of carbons due to them shattering but yours does appear to have hit something solid to make it have such a clean break and not splintered. If it were just weak material, it would be splintered I would beleive. The other senario is that you reused an arrow previously shot and damaged in the past and you didn't notice that upon inspection. If you reuse arrows, always inspect them before you shoot it again.

#4 dropzone

dropzone

• Members
  • 1,858 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:48 PM

I had a laser II do the same thing.I was sighting in a new scope and it hit a piece of 2x8 treated lumber it looked the same as yours. It was a clean brake in two places.