View New Content Mark all as read |  

Impact vs Scorpyd 165

• Please log in to reply

#1 Sparhawk

Sparhawk

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 06:38 PM

I shot my friends Brian's new Scorpyd 165 this morning then fired my Impact. First off; the Scorpyd is a cool looking bow and shoulders well but I found the cheek a little low for my taste... it didn't seem to fit as well as the impact did.

Speed: The Scorpyd flat out. Even at 30 yards the velocity difference was easily discernible. Brian said his xbow was achieving 420 fps vs. my 350 with my lighter shafts.

Heft/balance: This was another striking difference. The center mass of the Scorpyd made it easier to carry and hold but I noticed that the absence of extra mass up front made the xbow feel a bit less stable. (Again... just my opinion). I imagine after shooting the Scorpyd freehand for several shots one would easily adapt to the variation in weight displacement. I found the Impact more comfortable.... as did Brian and he's shot many arrows through his new xbow.

Sound: Again... The Scorpyd amazed me. For all that power and speed it was amazingly quiet. The string dampeners really do their job well. I'm going to have to see if I can retrofit the Lightning's dampeners onto an Impact. The difference was easily noticeable.

I've compared many crossbows against my Impact and this one by far was the nicest crossbow I've shot. I still love my Impact and I'll never part with it. But the compactness of the reverse centered limbs and the amazing speed and silence left me amazed.

Having said that... I wonder where can one use the extra 70 feet per second... certainly not much of a factor under 40 yards... aren't the 350 fps hunting rules still in effect in many states? The Scorpyd is faster, and quieter than the Darton Impact... there is no denying that fact. but is it worth the $1200 dollar price tag for the speed. As for aesthetics? Well you either like the bullpup Darton's or you don't... most people I encounter who use crossbows here don't... Tenpoint is dominant where I am and all three shops here are authorized Tenpoint dealers. The Scorpyd is sharp looking and eye catching... but what massive cams... WOW!! I liked the stock but not as much as the new Darton Stocks.

My Impact finally met its match today... but I still love my Crossbow and would never stop shooting it for anything.

Accuracy: A draw... both bolts went exactly where i aimed them... Yay Darton !!!!!!!!!!!

#2 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • 890 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 04:20 PM

I have a similar bow.

The Horton Recon.
While not nearly as fast as either the Scorpyd or the (some of) Dartons, it does shoulder much easier and as noted, the front end weight is MUCH easier on a long hold to shoot.

I understand the Recon's (or Visions) 325FPS is plenty fast for hunting....it's also plenty fast for foam hunting...which is all I do..!

I think Horton got it right over the Scorpyd in the way the limbs are mounted. I much prefer the narrower layout of the Recon (Vision).
Horton should have flipped the cams to get another 1-1/2" or 2" of travel for a little more speed.

But in any case...agreed, I'm keeping my Impact and Fire Force, (though I may sell the Stinger)....AND the Recon.

Mike

#3 mechmark

mechmark

• Members
  • 455 posts
  • Locationcentral okiehoma

Posted 14 November 2010 - 06:37 AM

I have a similar bow.

The Horton Recon.
While not nearly as fast as either the Scorpyd or the (some of) Dartons, it does shoulder much easier and as noted, the front end weight is MUCH easier on a long hold to shoot.

I understand the Recon's (or Visions) 325FPS is plenty fast for hunting....it's also plenty fast for foam hunting...which is all I do..!

I think Horton got it right over the Scorpyd in the way the limbs are mounted. I much prefer the narrower layout of the Recon (Vision).
Horton should have flipped the cams to get another 1-1/2" or 2" of travel for a little more speed.

But in any case...agreed, I'm keeping my Impact and Fire Force, (though I may sell the Stinger)....AND the Recon.

Mike

does anyone know if the new darton stocks will fit the older bows like the impact? cost?

#4 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • 890 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:58 PM

99.999999% sure they will..!
I seriously dought they'd change a multi year old track/rail design just for a new plastic stock design.

Since I don't think there are any out yet, I'd bet a simple phone call or e-mail to Darton answer your question.

Mike

#5 mechmark

mechmark

• Members
  • 455 posts
  • Locationcentral okiehoma

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:21 AM

99.999999% sure they will..!
I seriously dought they'd change a multi year old track/rail design just for a new plastic stock design.

Since I don't think there are any out yet, I'd bet a simple phone call or e-mail to Darton answer your question.

Mike

mike

got an answer from darton seems the new stocks wont retrofit to the older xbows dogonit!!!!
but the suppresion systems for the should soon.

guess they want to sell new xbows might have to just make one myself.......

oh well it rifle season here sat anyways hope to get my son his first deer.
take care B)

#6 Sparhawk

Sparhawk

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:51 PM

mike

got an answer from darton seems the new stocks wont retrofit to the older xbows dogonit!!!!
but the suppresion systems for the should soon.

guess they want to sell new xbows might have to just make one myself.......

oh well it rifle season here sat anyways hope to get my son his first deer.
take care B)

Crap!! I was hoping... those new stocks are AWESOME!!!

#7 thirdhandman

thirdhandman

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • LocationUnion Ky

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:44 PM

Sparhawk; That sounded like a pretty honest review. Just curious how was your trigger pull compared to the Scorpyd. How did yours shoot off hand compared to the Scorpyd. What type of recoil does yours have compared to Scorpyd. I haven't shot the impact, just curious.
To the other post comparing the horton to the Scorpyd. Scorpyd was to be built by horton. They couldn't get things together. Scorpyd built theirs in USA. Hortons copy is made in China. Of course its cheaper, slower, heavier trigger pull, without the folding stock and the list goes on.

#8 Sparhawk

Sparhawk

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:57 AM

Sparhawk; That sounded like a pretty honest review. Just curious how was your trigger pull compared to the Scorpyd. How did yours shoot off hand compared to the Scorpyd. What type of recoil does yours have compared to Scorpyd. I haven't shot the impact, just curious.
To the other post comparing the horton to the Scorpyd. Scorpyd was to be built by horton. They couldn't get things together. Scorpyd built theirs in USA. Hortons copy is made in China. Of course its cheaper, slower, heavier trigger pull, without the folding stock and the list goes on.

The Scorpyd has a great trigger... it it slightly easier than the Darton but not enough to make a difference... I think the Impact has one of the best trigers out there. One thing... there is a tad of travel on my trigger so I know exactly when the bow will launch... the Scorpyd has no travel at all.. it's an easy pull I'd say less than three pounds. My Darton is about four pounds and a small amount of creep. All shots I took with both crossbows were offhand at 30 yards. Again I have to be honest... I'm used to the front end weight on my Darton and shot it better... BUT after a few shots with the Scorpyd I was getting more and more comfortable with the center mass. I sincerley beleive that after an hour or so with the crossbow, I'd have been shearing the vanes of each arrow. The center mass is great and again the bow is very quiet... Another point I dont know if I covered... Rceoil or energy xfer afer firing. It's very minimal on the Darton and in my opinion is non existant on the Scorpyd. That crossbow was rock solid steady and not even a hint of shock going through my hand or forearm.

If I had the money I would buy one. I would never part with my Impact becuase it is a fantastic shooter but the Scorpyd is just incredible.

#9 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:06 PM

Never owned a Darton but that black Serpent is one cool looking crossbow. I'll be testing a Darton soon if i can get my hands on one.

BTW, I saw Horton V 175's and Ultra Lite Express bows being built in Ohio earlier this year......a long way from China:-)

#10 Ventilator

Ventilator

• Members
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:13 AM

Never owned a Darton but that black Serpent is one cool looking crossbow. I'll be testing a Darton soon if i can get my hands on one.

BTW, I saw Horton V 175's and Ultra Lite Express bows being built in Ohio earlier this year......a long way from China:-)

Moon,

When you say "built", do you mean made (manufactured) or assembled? There is a difference. Just because you might have seen someone assembling these bows in Ohio, doesn't mean that all the components were not made in China or elsewhere. I hope what you mean is they are being manufactured in Ohio?

#11 Ventilator

Ventilator

• Members
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:35 AM

The Scorpyd has a great trigger... it it slightly easier than the Darton but not enough to make a difference... I think the Impact has one of the best trigers out there. One thing... there is a tad of travel on my trigger so I know exactly when the bow will launch... the Scorpyd has no travel at all.. it's an easy pull I'd say less than three pounds.............................

Sparhawk,

You are the second person that I have seen write that the Scorpyd has no travel at all. My 165 and the 125 I shot both have what has been referred to as a "rolling trigger", I would say it travels, albeit light and very smooth, with a predictable release.

#12 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:08 PM

Let's see, the last time I was at Parker, they were crossbow assemblers, buying parts elsewhere. Ten Point stated that they buy parts from different parts of the world. If buying products where all parts are actually manufactured in this country is important to you, have at it :-) Your selection will be extremely small. The computer you used to send your posts was made in..................:-)I'll use another example also, how about Sony cameras with Zeiss lenses? Pretty impressive products I think. If I told you the lenses are made in an oriental country (not Japan) to Zeiss specs, would you refuse to buy one? I doubt that even half the parts for the V 175 or the Ultra Lite are made in Ohio. I don't know and really I don't let that guide my decisions in buying a aproduct. I was told their laminated limbs are made in this country. It's just that a blanket statement like "they are made in China" leads people to believe that they are shipped to this country in boxes, ready to go on the shelf. Nothing could be farther from the truth, in this case at least:-)I can list a long line of products that are considered the best that are not manufactured or assembled in this country. Some of them that we think are are likely not.

#13 Ventilator

Ventilator

• Members
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:50 AM

Let's see, the last time I was at Parker, they were crossbow assemblers, buying parts elsewhere. Ten Point stated that they buy parts from different parts of the world. If buying products where all parts are actually manufactured in this country is important to you, have at it :-) Your selection will be extremely small. The computer you used to send your posts was made in..................:-)I'll use another example also, how about Sony cameras with Zeiss lenses? Pretty impressive products I think. If I told you the lenses are made in an oriental country (not Japan) to Zeiss specs, would you refuse to buy one? I doubt that even half the parts for the V 175 or the Ultra Lite are made in Ohio. I don't know and really I don't let that guide my decisions in buying a aproduct. I was told their laminated limbs are made in this country. It's just that a blanket statement like "they are made in China" leads people to believe that they are shipped to this country in boxes, ready to go on the shelf. Nothing could be farther from the truth, in this case at least:-)I can list a long line of products that are considered the best that are not manufactured or assembled in this country. Some of them that we think are are likely not.

I just asked a couple straight forward questions, because I was told by an employee at a Horton dealer that they were made in China. When he told me that, I assumed manufactured, boxed up and sent across the pond. Good to hear that they are at least being assembled in Ohio. And yes, it does matter to me where things are made. I know I can't buy everything made in USA, but when I have the option, I do. Is there something wrong with that? That is the main reason things are not being manufactured in the US anymore, because people are willing to buy it made elsewhere. The big corporations love it!

Sorry to the OP for getting sidetracked.

#14 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 06:52 PM

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. I do think you've got the cart before the horse though :D It' not that we started buying products made in other countries that has killed manufacturing in this country but this is not the forum to get into labor unions and their effect on manufacturing, etc. so I won't. I buy the best and most long lasting products for my use. I will not support second rate products just because of where it's made. All being equal, I'll buy American made.

#15 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • 890 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:44 AM

As far as the new stock....damn.... I really do wonder what the difference really is..?
One or two moved fastener holes...big deal, a drill and tap will fix that.
I can't see them making any structual changes to the main rail extrusion, trigger placement, etc. But then again......

The Darton triggers -
While I understand Darton did do some work on the triggers for 2010, modifying....or better smoothing the Darton trigger is very easy.
A single lighter spring and some 600 grit to mate, then some 1000 to 4000 grit sand paper to polish the sliding surfaces helped the trigger action greatly.
I also shortened the overall trigger pull. Again, not difficult work.

I did this as experimental work on my little Fire Force and was very happy with the outcome. Was going to do the same thing to my Impact, but ended up waist deep in some cylinder head porting for a Studebaker engine (LOTS of experimenting), then in modifying two motorcycles....the bows have been sitting for a while...!

Mike

#16 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:55 PM

Studebaker!!!!! Wow! My father owned a Hawk. I forget the year (50's) but it was yellow :-)

I'm trying to get a new Darton Serpent to test. Something about that bow in black that caught my eye. I've never owned or shot a Darton.....yet:-)

#17 Rene

Rene

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:24 PM

I'm trying to get a new Darton Serpent to test. Something about that bow in black that caught my eye. I've never owned or shot a Darton.....yet:-)

I think you will like the Serpent. When you have the chance try the Serpent LTD because it has the Trigger Mechanism of the Lightning which is very good! :goodjob:

#18 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:21 PM

Rene, are you really in the Eastern Empire?:-)

#19 Rene

Rene

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:41 AM

Rene, are you really in the Eastern Empire?:-)

Sorry Moon, but what do you mean with "Eastern Empire"? Like i said, my english is not the best! :unsure:

#20 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:49 AM

Rene, "Ă–sterreich", I thought the literal meaning in German was eastern (Oster) empire (reich). I stayed in Wien for 4 months in 1986 while working for Zeiss. Beautiful city!!:-)
Sorry for hijacking this thread.