View New Content Mark all as read |  

Sighting Jackal

• Please log in to reply

#1 ERICK

ERICK

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 06:01 PM

I bought my Barnett Jackal last month. I sighted it in with the 4x32 scope, had a little trouble, but finally got it to withing 2 inches. I went hunting the other day and missed a buck by a mile. I went home to check the sighting and all the mounts on the crossbow, I saw no problems. I tried to sight it in and now I am unable to even get it close. I bought a lazer for this to basicaly bore sight it in. The adjustments on the scope will not bring it into line with where it should be. I see no other adjustment areas. I have not dropped it or misshandled it in any way. Have I missed something? Any input would be appreciated. I love the crossbow but don't have any idea how to fix it. I guess I should add that I have hunted between when I bought it and the last time I used it. I have had great success.

#2 Old Longhair

Old Longhair

Crazy Ol' Foole

• Members
  • 2,146 posts
  • LocationMid-Michigan Cornfields

Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:21 PM

You can try taking the scope off and re-mounting it. Change the sequence of tightening the screws, etc... See if you can bring it into line.

Or, it could be a bad scope. From time to time you run accross one that is just defective. The bi-directional recoil of a crossbow is tough on scopes, so defects if they exist will make themselves apparent in short order....generally.
If you have another scope or red dot sight that you can try, it might shed some light on whether the scope is bad or not.
I just sent one back that wouldn't hold a zero. Sight it in today, and tomorrow it would shoot to a different POI. Drove me nuts for a while, not thinking that the scope was the issue. Finally put a different one on, and BINGO.

#3 Blackhawk690

Blackhawk690

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Alabama

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:09 PM

Erick my second jackal during a shooting session one day started shooting off.... so i grabbed the scope and tried to move it.... well sir it was loose... probably due to vibration. so went to my trusty tool box and got some Blue Loc-Tite, a little dab will do ya. put the screws back. end of the movement issue.... try it... you might like it.
that much force, does put out vibration and screws will get loose.

Mike