View New Content Mark all as read |  

Winch Cocking Device Info

• Please log in to reply

#1 vaguru

vaguru

• Members
  • 971 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:13 AM

I have been reading about the winch cocking device failures, broken cables. After speaking with my contact at Barnett, it has been discovered that the holes the cables go through may have a burr. This at the location where the cable terminates and the knot is located. It has been addressed at the factory, and should no longer be an issue on units shipping currently.

Those that have an earlier unit should check these holes, and deburr if required.

As far as the cable material being discontinued, as I have read, how can that be possible if units are being produced and shipped daily.

Contact customer service if you have issue. And, for those that have discontinued using the crank, rather cocking by hand, this is ill advised. Your fingers can slip off the string and cause possible injury.

PLEASE, use a cocking rope device instead. The one with 2 hooks and 2 handles. It will reduce effort to cock the bow by half, and prevent the string slipping from your fingers. See pic.

Attached Images

• Barnett Cocking Rope.jpg

#2 skyscraper

skyscraper

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:26 PM

Vaguru

Thanks for the follow up effort with Barnett

The info on deburring the hole may help some of us avoid the problem.

Assuming that we will have to remove the string to do the deburring, and then reattach the string..... is there any special procedure for tieing the knot or sealing it off (melt with flame? seal with glue? or ??)

And regarding the rope cocker vs hand cocking..... have you seen anyone use the rope cocker without bending over to grab the handles and then straighten back up again during the cocking process? I am unable to straighten up while pulling on the rope due to a lower back injury, but havent figured out how to get enough stroke on the rope cocker if I start out standing up straight.

With the long stroke of the Quad 400, the rope cocker handles have to be pulled up through a distance of over 3 feet to cock the bow. If I start out standing up, this means the handles would end up under my chin before the bow is cocked...right?

Maybe there is a simple trick I am overlooking?

Regards

Skyscraper

#3 vaguru

vaguru

• Members
  • 971 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:36 PM

The answer to the long cocking stroke you mention is aleveiated by shortening the cocking rope. I have my rope short, so I have to pull the string up about 4-6 inches to get the second hook on. Then standing it is a relatively easy arm pull to cock the bow. Try shortening your rope and see what develops. When you find the length you like, cut the rope. Due to your back injury, it may not work well for you.

Another option, is to sit down, and use your leg to push the bow away from you to cock the bow. Some do this normally in tree stand situations.

I have no info on the knot used, or whether it is melted after tying. I haven't seen one of the devices as I don't use one. If it were me, I'd look at the knot before untying, then duplicate that knot after inspection of the holes. Deburring holes if neccessary.

#4 skyscraper

skyscraper

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:31 AM

Vaguru

Thanks for the suggestions. Will give them a try

I really like the way the Barnett crank cocking device works, other than being concerned over the cord breaking as has happened to others, and the way it messes up the center serving.

I read posts from others looking for replacement cord for their crank cocking devices, and had an idea. Years I ago I used to live near the coast, and recall seeing some really heavy weight braided nylon fishing line used for offshore fishing. some of it had very high breaking strength, over 80-100 lbs. It was about the same diameter as the cord that came on the Barnett crank cocking device. If Barnett is not offering the original cord as a service item, they may be able to find some of this heavy weight braided fishing line that would work.

We appreciate your input and recommendations via Crossbow Nation. I have been shooting recurves since the early 1960's, and compounds ever since they first came out in the late 60's, but just bought my first crossbow a few weeks ago, and am intriqued by all the technology that has gone into the modern crossbow designs. Many of the hints and suggestions offered up by members of CN are really helpful to us CB newbies.

Skyscraper

#5 MikeH

MikeH

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationN.C.

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:32 PM

I may have the answer to the cocking line availability questions.

Although my crank is not the style built into the stock, when the line became too frayed to safely use, I tried to order replacement line from Barnett. I learned that I had to purchase the complete assembly which consists of the spool, line and sled (hooks). When I considered replacing the line with a high break test nylon line, I discover that the factory line is not knotted on the ends, but rather, aluminum swag stops are crimped on the ends. I suspect this may be used as a safety / liability measure since knots can "roll" out and / or because the loops in knots tend to become the weakest part of a line.

Hard as I tried, I couldn't find a source for swag stops small enough to fit in the countersunk holes of the crank spool. But, even if I had, it was a real pain in the neck just trying to get the line to pass through the spool holes.

For all of the above reasons, I think the crank line replacement is a job best left to Barnett service or, buying the complete assembly from them when that is an option.

MikeH.

#6 poindexter

poindexter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:52 PM

I had a crank device failure on my buck commander after about 40 shots. Barnett replaced the cord with the spools attached and it is working fine, as for the cocking device seperating the center server, I had that happen also, and Barnett sent me a replacement string. The replacement string has not seperated like the original so I suspect the original server was not wound tight enough. I am very pleased with Barnett customer service as they have been very courtious and quick to remedy my problems with no hassel at all....Poindexter

#7 Doozie

Doozie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:55 PM

Are you interested in a Barnett Goats Foot aluminum Cocking lever?

PLease pm information.

#8 IronKnees

IronKnees

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:09 AM

This is my first post on these forums, and you will have to excuse me because I am really an easy going guy to get along with... but today I'm "cranky."  A couple weeks ago I sent Barnett an inquiry about the crank cocking device for my Predator Crossbow. After only perhaps 30 uses, I had noticed the rubber protector on the spool was chewed up and coming off, and obviously the string would be doing the same. I received no reply.

Last evening, while cocking my bow, the string (cocking device string) broke, effectively dry-firing my bow and the hook or winch part nailed me right in the mouth... Obviously, I was a bit "cranky" which is a gross understatement.  Last night I sent Barnett a very heated "second" customer service note and they just now called. Bottom line is that they were very nice, and are sending me a new spool assembly... she says I will have it on Friday... Been there before... guess time will tell on that part.

I asked her about a product recall on a known defect that is causing these failures, to which she replied that Barnett has been unaware of any problem. That part I know to be untrue, and I suggested that there is a huge difference between a one year warranty and a safety issue / product recall.  The call ended on a friendly note, but I still believe I may call and try to speak with someone who will level with me about these failures because I know Barnett is aware of this problem..

Anyway, that's it for todays edition of; "Dave's Rant" and I look forward to meeting lots of new friends on these forums.... Dave   <><    >>>------->