View New Content Mark all as read |  

Best crossbow for easy maintenance

• Please log in to reply

Poll: Best crossbow for easy maintenance (70 member(s) have cast votes)

Which crossbow would you choose for easy maintenance

1. Voted Excalibur: equinox (47 votes [67.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 67.14%

2. Kodabow: big rhino (9 votes [12.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.86%

3. Tenpoint: gt mag (9 votes [12.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.86%

4. Horton: legacy cs 225 (1 votes [1.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.43%

5. Barnett: panzer v (4 votes [5.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 xamoel

xamoel

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:06 PM

Hello everybody,

i'm new! Not to shooting, but to crossbows.

I'm planning for when the , and i'm thinking a crossbow might be a good alternative my other firearms, as bolts can be picked up after shooting them, unlike bullets

Now i'm asking the more experienced, what's the most rugged, durable crossbow, with few maintenance needed? Mainly for hunting, but being able to use it as a SD weapon would be nice too.
So far I've learned a recurve crossbow is the way to go, so i put together a little list that interest me.
Which of them is the best, in your opinion?

Excalibur: equinox
Kodabow: big rhino
Tenpoint: gt mag
Horton: legacy cs 225
Barnett: panzer v

Price isn't that important, as this shall be a one-time buy.
I'd rather spend some more once, than buy cheap and twice.

Thank you for looking!

#2 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:49 PM

Tried and true, bullet proof, easy to maintain, most accurate crossbow you'll ever shoot, uses flat nocks and time tested. Excalibur

#3 Icanthitnutin

Icanthitnutin

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:20 PM

Hello everybody,

i'm new! Not to shooting, but to crossbows.

I'm planning for when the , and i'm thinking a crossbow might be a good alternative my other firearms, as bolts can be picked up after shooting them, unlike bullets

Now i'm asking the more experienced, what's the most rugged, durable crossbow, with few maintenance needed? Mainly for hunting, but being able to use it as a SD weapon would be nice too.
So far I've learned a recurve crossbow is the way to go, so i put together a little list that interest me.
Which of them is the best, in your opinion?

Excalibur: equinox
Kodabow: big rhino
Tenpoint: gt mag
Horton: legacy cs 225
Barnett: panzer v

Price isn't that important, as this shall be a one-time buy.
I'd rather spend some more once, than buy cheap and twice.

Thank you for looking!

In a situation, the 10 lbs extra weight is better suited to carry 10 lbs of extra ammo. A xbow is not practical for such a scenario.

#4 Big-Bird-VA

Big-Bird-VA

• Members
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:09 PM

Yes but say you need to take out something and don't want to alert everyone within a mile - you know those zombies do go to loud sounds. Well a single twang-thump doesn't alert everyone. And you can use it again if you can get the arrow back. Bullets are real hard to use over.

And this is for when things level off after , week. I'm sure in the beginning you'll want real firepower. That's if our government doesn't try to take everything from everyone. Last I checked they don't have any xbow sniffing dogs but they do have ones that can sniff out a gun or bullets. That's another thing to consider when you don't need everyone knowing you just shot something.

#5 Icanthitnutin

Icanthitnutin

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:12 PM

Yes but say you need to take out something and don't want to alert everyone within a mile - you know those zombies do go to loud sounds. Well a single twang-thump doesn't alert everyone. And you can use it again if you can get the arrow back. Bullets are real hard to use over.

And this is for when things level off after , week. I'm sure in the beginning you'll want real firepower. That's if our government doesn't try to take everything from everyone. Last I checked they don't have any xbow sniffing dogs but they do have ones that can sniff out a gun or bullets. That's another thing to consider when you don't need everyone knowing you just shot something.

I really wouldn't try taking a person or zombie out with any kind of arrow. getting an instant kill would not be the out come. getting shot by a gun would be the reply I think most would receive after a xbow shot. IF!!! you had some of those Rambo arrows then you would be in business.

As for the gooberment takin my guns? In that case they would need to worry about the scenario. ;)

#6 xamoel

xamoel

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:05 AM

Thanks for your answers!
Well I've got firearms all covered, but for a longer catastrophic scenario you'll need ways of providing food, and bullets don't last forever.

That's why I'm looking at crossbows. Sure, zombies are always a valid answer :D (Especially if you've seen the latest episode of the Walking Dead!)

So everyone is in favor of the Equinox? No love for Kodabow/the other makers?

#7 Old Longhair

Old Longhair

Crazy Ol' Foole

• Members
  • 2,149 posts
  • LocationMid-Michigan Cornfields

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:42 AM

If you're looking for simplicity, with a track record of glitch free operation, then the Excal is the one.

Kodabow is so new, that most of us haven't even seen one, much less put one through it's paces.

#8 Guest_vixenmaster_*

Guest_vixenmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2010 - 09:42 AM

Excal hands down. I have one thats 12 yrs old & still works fine

#9 xamoel

xamoel

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:04 PM

Is it possible to pick up the bolts after f.e. deer hunting? Or will they be broken?

#10 jopsa

jopsa

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:37 PM

Mayby Middleton...

#11 thirdhandman

thirdhandman

• Members
  • 1,324 posts
  • LocationUnion Ky

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:41 PM

Tried and true, bullet proof, easy to maintain, most accurate crossbow you'll ever shoot, uses flat nocks and time tested. Excalibur

Moon: At 100 yards which would you prefer to be shot at with. the excal or the rd165. Remember you are 68 years young.

#12 See4miles

See4miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 772 posts
  • LocationSt. Helen, MI (Home of Heston)

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:13 PM

Any of the recurves are going to fit this criteria, be it an Excal, Horton, or Ten Point, hands down!

#13 thirdhandman

thirdhandman

• Members
  • 1,324 posts
  • LocationUnion Ky

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:54 AM

when comparing recurve bows to compound bows. Here is a little food for thought. History tells us the indians were using longbows that were reliable and lost. If they had todays compounds we would all be speaking apache!!! :sword:

#14 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:14 PM

Does not matter, I'd be dead with either. A broadhead cuts just as well at 300 fps as it does at 400 fps.:-)

The indians would have gotten their butts kicked if all of them had 165's. It's still no competitor for a 58 caliber lead projectile or a repeating rifle.

#15 Sagittarius

Sagittarius

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • LocationIn a Tarpon boat.

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:07 AM

Jmo, but, if you took 50 Indians with their Longbows VS 50 guys with compounds on a battlefield...
The guys with the compounds would get slaughtered. :o
The Longbow is much lighter weight, faster to load, and faster to get multiple shots off with.
The compound is way too heavy and having to wait until the cam breaks over would really hinder your speed.
Sure, a compound can be shot instinctively but it's much inferior to a longbow for battle.
A short recurve would, imo, be the ultimate for a bow used in battle where speed and maneuverability is a major advantage.
Yes, Moon, the 165 would have got the Indians killed too. :D

#16 Sagittarius

Sagittarius

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • LocationIn a Tarpon boat.

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:25 AM

I voted Kodabow in the poll on a pure gut feeling without having any experience with it, which, I guess, is kind of dumb. :huh:
It looks Battleship strong like it could survive a war !
Its construction looks head and shoulders above, even, Excalibur to my eyes.
I would have to buy the Kodabow and not look back. B)

#17 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:05 AM

People sometimes make mistakes like that :thumbsu: It's slower, heavier and not time tested. "looks" like a nice crossbow with heavy limbs (end brackets).

#18 outrunner13

outrunner13

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • Locationbrooksville fla

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:22 PM

tenpoint or the excal both are fine xbows

#19 beervo2

beervo2

• Members
  • 1,539 posts
  • LocationOtisville,MI

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:01 PM

I don't own an Excal, I have a couple of TenPoints but for easy maintenance Excal hands down.. :thumbsu: .

Mike

#20 thirdhandman

thirdhandman

• Members
  • 1,324 posts
  • LocationUnion Ky

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:08 PM

Jmo, but, if you took 50 Indians with their Longbows VS 50 guys with compounds on a battlefield...
The guys with the compounds would get slaughtered. :o
The Longbow is much lighter weight, faster to load, and faster to get multiple shots off with.
The compound is way too heavy and having to wait until the cam breaks over would really hinder your speed.
Sure, a compound can be shot instinctively but it's much inferior to a longbow for battle.
A short recurve would, imo, be the ultimate for a bow used in battle where speed and maneuverability is a major advantage.
Yes, Moon, the 165 would have got the Indians killed too. :D

If you lined up on a battle field twenty yards apart I would agree with you. Think of how skilled they became with a stick and a string. Put technology in their hands and it would be game over.

"Jmo, but, if you took 50 Indians with their Longbows VS 50 guys with compounds on a battlefield...
The guys with the compounds would get slaughtered." If it were 50 Indians with long bows and 50 Indians with compounds, sights, and releases carbon arrows with Grim Reapers who would win? LOL