in line vertical crossbow

• Please log in to reply

#1 thirdhandman

thirdhandman

• Members
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationUnion Ky

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:37 PM

Got a new crossbow for you to check out. Less than 6 lbs to carry. vertical is easier to get through the woods as it is narrower than a horizontal. Removable stock for easy transportation. sit back and check out his video.

#2 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 09:47 PM

I tried to get Bowtech to develop this concept 3 years ago but no luck, they had too many irons already in the fire. I think there are great possibilities for this design. Although I don't consider it a crossbow, I believe this alternative to conventional crossbows has the potential to attract a sizeable number of bow and crossbow hunters. I think Jerry has a winner here.

#3 Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 5,760 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:03 PM

LLooks like the same old draw loc to me. Just a name change for marketing. Still shoots a full-length arrow, has a peep sight and a vertical bow sight.

#4 Ventilator

Ventilator

• Members
  • 1,114 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:30 PM

This concept has been around for several years. There is a guy in Northerm Michigan that has had the "Lock-A-Draw" for over 20 years IIRC.

http://www.crossbowa...e.com/index.htm

Then there is Pullin Archery that has the "Full Draw".

http://www.pullinarchery.com/index.htm

And then there was the "Reverse Energy Bow" (R.E.B.), that I shot 5 or 6 years back. This bow was built in Montrose, Colorado. At the time I thought this concept was a sure winner for a crossbow platform, guess Jim Kemph (Scorpyd) and Horton already had this vision as well. The R.E.B. was a good shooter, but was not actually a draw lock design. You still had to draw ath bow past the riser, but it did have a rod with a palm rest that you could grip and hold for as long as you wished, or at least till your hand fell asleep. The only problem with this design was if you did not draw relatively straight back, and you got away from the riser, you could roll the string off the cam(s). It was very easy to put back on, as long as your string was not messed up. I was told that this design was sold about 3 or 4 years ago, and was expecting to see it in a crossbow platform just like the "Inline Crossbow" above. Here is the R.E.B.

#5 thirdhandman

thirdhandman

• Members
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationUnion Ky

Posted 28 November 2010 - 02:51 PM

LLooks like the same old draw loc to me. Just a name change for marketing. Still shoots a full-length arrow, has a peep sight and a vertical bow sight.

UL; I have the original Draw Loc and it doesn't look or work anything like this. My Oldsmobile doesn't look anything like my Jeep, but it has a steering wheel a motor and 4 wheels. I bet your new crossbow looks very similar to the one you just replaced. Its all done for marketing. Where would any business be without marketing?
The DNR considers it a crossbow. If you hunt with one you must follow all crossbow rules. I really don't know of any disadvantage to shooting a full length arrow. Peep sights have been used on crossbows longer than we have been around.
These comments remind me of what compound shooters say about crossbows. Where would we be without technology and people running with an idea? We would still be typing on a typewriter and you would not have crossbow nation.

#6 Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 5,760 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:32 PM

Peep sites may have been used, but not in the string. Just because the DNR recognizes it as a crossbow, doesn't mean it is. I'm allowed to use my muzzle loader during shotgun season, does that mean it's a shotgun? I wasn't bashing it, but I don't think it should be called a crossbow. I've talked with Jerry about his design, and I had a good friend that help sell his product at the Deer and Turkey Expo's. Is there a need for it, maybe, but it's not a crossbow.

#7 thirdhandman

thirdhandman

• Members
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationUnion Ky

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:31 PM

Peep sites may have been used, but not in the string. Just because the DNR recognizes it as a crossbow, doesn't mean it is. I'm allowed to use my muzzle loader during shotgun season, does that mean it's a shotgun? I wasn't bashing it, but I don't think it should be called a crossbow. I've talked with Jerry about his design, and I had a good friend that help sell his product at the Deer and Turkey Expo's. Is there a need for it, maybe, but it's not a crossbow.

Ul: If you weren't bashing it, it sure came across that way to me, and I apologize. And by the way, try using your shot gun during muzzle loader season and you will see the difference. It really doesn't matter what you would call it. What matters is what the law says it is. It is a bow that is held at full draw by a mechanical device other than the person shooting it.
What is the biggest single complaint about crossbows? Since a good number of crossbow people are older and some physically challenged, my guess would be the actual weight of the bow. This crossbow weighs less than 5.5lbs. If there is a good working crossbow that shoots 300fps and weighs less I'd like to see it.
Next complaint is that crossbows are hard to maneuver through the woods. This one is only 17" by about 3 inches and since most trees grow vertical, my guess it will be easier to maneuver. We are both entitled to our opinions. Imo I think he identified two crossbow problems and fixed them. My hat is off to him. Just curious since the Scorpyd shoots backwards do you consider it a crossbow? Imho it is one of the best.

#8 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:42 PM

I don't consider the old "bolt onto your existing bow" anything I would use. It's been around for years as stated above. This complete unit with a super short compound bow is neat and could be a good choice for folks that have difficulty with 9+ lb crossbows. I say lets let the market decide :-) I can't wait to see it at the trade shows.

#9 Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 5,760 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:43 PM

Yes. i do consider the scorpyd a crossbow. Another name for the crossbow is a horizontal bow. the scorpyd complies. okay. enough said on both our parts regarding the validity of this bow. let the normal discussion continue.

#10 WayneSeven

WayneSeven

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:15 PM

I love it but I'll keep my crossbow with the scope. I'm not a fan of peep and pins at the moment due to a case of target panic.

#11 thirdhandman

thirdhandman

• Members
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationUnion Ky

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:07 PM

Yes. i do consider the scorpyd a crossbow. Another name for the crossbow is a horizontal bow. the scorpyd complies. okay. enough said on both our parts regarding the validity of this bow. let the normal discussion continue.

UL: This is your sight so I will respect your wishes and will agree with Moon. Let the market decide if it is a crossbow.

#12 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 04:53 PM

From looking at the bow, it looks like a reflex sight or small multi reticle scope might work on it, which will eliminte peep sights and multiple pins. If there is anyone that dislikes peep sights for hunting any more than I do, I don't know who they are:-) Here is a Zeiss Z-Point reflex sight I used successfully for several years on my Bowtech Tribute compounds until arthritis ended that. NO peep sights:-)

Attached Images

• Dsc00252.jpg

#13 thirdhandman

thirdhandman

• Members
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationUnion Ky

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:13 PM

Moon; If you take the handle grip off and put it on the other side, you can attach a dove tail bar where the grip was and attach a sight. Now if you want he has a horizontal bow that is cocked with 2 hands and held at full draw by a mechanical device. I personally would rather shoot it vertically. For some strange reason I can group with my vertical bow better than I can shoot a cross bow off hand. But that might just be me. Moon have you tried to compare vertical to off hand shooting?

#14 edge

edge

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:56 PM

Clearly a crossbow gets its name from its shape and not whether the bow is vertical or horizontal!
That bow clearly looks like a cross :)

Looks like a nice design.

edge.

#15 crowhunter

crowhunter

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:47 PM

How much does it sell for ? Bud

#16 thirdhandman

thirdhandman

• Members
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationUnion Ky

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:24 AM

Not a positive answer as he is still tweaking as we speak. Can tell ya it will be under $1000 set up, sights, rest and out the door. :goodjob:

#17 rt2bowhunter

rt2bowhunter

• Members
  • 932 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:37 AM

Nice looking rig. Do you know what the poundage is? My state has a 125# min,

#18 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:08 AM

I think it may technically qualify as a vertical bow for some states.

The opposing horizontal forces, shooting a vertical bow, tends to stabilize it, compared to 9 lbs (example) of vertical downward force of a crossbow which is a problem for many crossbow shooters. This bow, with no opposing forces due to the draw lock holding the string at full draw, will likely be like shooting a very light weight crossbow. Who knows how that will affect accuracy as compared to a normal hand held draw vertical? I don't.

I have no interest in modifying an existing 30" compound bow with a draw lock. I do have interest in a complete ultra short bow with the built in draw lock system.

#19 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:22 PM

NOW.........it's a crossbow and a "Super Lite" crossbow at that. I like it.

Attached Images

• Super Lite Crossbow.jpg

#20 drawloc

drawloc

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 01:01 PM

NOW.........it's a crossbow and a "Super Lite" crossbow at that. I like it.

Hi All,
This is Jerry with Hickory Creek Inc. Draw-Loc and the New In-Line Crossbow. Thank you for allowing me to join the forum. We look forward to serving crossbow users needs. Please feel free to ask any questions and I will answer to the best of my knowledge. The In-Line Crossbow Can be shot vertical or horizontal. It takes just a couple of minutes to convert without adding in additional weight. I will have another demo video to explane more features of this amazing new bow.
drawloc