Storing the crossbow

• Please log in to reply

#1 rico334

rico334

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:45 PM

Should the string be removed from the limbs for off season storage of my Vortex ? Also, I know they sell a stand for one to sit on, however I don't want it to be left anywhere accessible to the dog or cat to gnaw on... :angry:

Will it hurt anything on the bow to fashion a mount to the wall where I can hang it from the stirrup ?

#2 Boo

Boo

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:53 PM

You have to remove the DB pads before removing the string. Use a twist tie to hold the string loops together so the number of twists is maintained. Store in a cool dry place. Most people hang the bow by the stirrup. I use small coat hooks.
I don't unstring 3 of bows that I am constantly shooting and have not noticed any speed loss yet.

#3 rico334

rico334

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:58 PM

Thanks Boo - I never thought about the strings being twisted. So when you buy a new string, are they pre-twisted and the loops locked together in the package or if not, how do you know how many twists they are supposed to have before installing ?

#4 Boo

Boo

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:43 PM

Thanks Boo - I never thought about the strings being twisted. So when you buy a new string, are they pre-twisted and the loops locked together in the package or if not, how do you know how many twists they are supposed to have before installing ?

The type of string and the desired brace height will vary the number of twists. An endless loop should start with just a few twists and a Flemish should start with lots more. It;s not like a compound where a specified string should have a certain number of twists as a starting point to get you close to a ATA measurement.

#5 RonS

RonS

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:34 AM

I've never unstrung my Exocet during the "off" season! I've also never noticed any decrease in velocity,either.Shoots just as fast as the day I got it!

#6 kbarr1

kbarr1

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:15 PM

My Exocet is 10 years old and the only time it is unstrung is to reserve or put a new BOO string on.My bow is set up for IBO tournaments so I shoot alot.I have never had a problem by leaving mine strung.Good luck Kenny

#7 See4miles

See4miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 772 posts
  • LocationSt. Helen, MI (Home of Heston)

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:29 PM

Not only do I not unstring the bow, I leave my rope cocker on the strings with partial tension to boot. My Exomax is two years old and although I shoot it throughout the winter, it may sit for 3 to 4 weeks at a time between exercise. The first shot is always dead nuts and I have seen zero velocity loss so far.

#8 awshucks

awshucks

• Members
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:45 PM

Same here as see 4, kept an Emax strung for 3-4 yrs w/ no loss in fps measured. Often left it cocked to break in FFF strings to boot.