Cheek Rest

• Please log in to reply

#1 Sliver Shooter

Sliver Shooter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • LocationSouthern Minnesota

Posted 29 November 2010 - 04:38 PM

:thumbsu: Boy, I got to tell ya, I put a cheek rest on my Vortex and man is it sweet. If anyone is thinken about one, do it, it adds a bunch to the comfort of snuggling up behind a scope.

#2 Cossack

Cossack

Incurable Tinkerer

• Members
  • 3,532 posts
  • LocationNo MN

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:28 AM

Agreed. Got em on both my Ecals and the compound. Makes a big difference to eye-scope alignment.

#3 rico334

rico334

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:07 PM

Just bought my Vortex new last week and ordered the cheek piece off EBAY just this morning. While at the shop last week shopping for the one I bought, I picked up an Exocet that had one on it and knew from the feel that a cheek piece was going to be the first thing I ordered for the Vortex when I got it home.

#4 rico334

rico334

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:42 PM

Mine came in the mail today from Ebay, took about 10 seconds to put it on and Oh what a difference that little piece of plastic makes !!! :thumbsu:

#5 Guest_hankenhunter_*

Guest_hankenhunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2010 - 05:14 PM

My equinox came with the cheek rest and when my dad tried it he swiped it off my
stock and installed it on his Ibex. :startle: I have a copy of his house key so
I went and stole it back.Great fun. Santa will leave him a cheek rest under his
tree,so my baby can rest easy. ;)
Happy huntin and merry x-mas.
Hank

#6 radebaugh03

radebaugh03

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:25 PM

Cheek, eye, and scope alighment is purely a personal thing. When one brings a rifle, shotgun or crossbow stock to the cheek, one's eye should be aligned automatically with the scope (or sights).. If further movement to center the scope or sights is necessary, maximimum accuracy and speed is usually lost.
Even after installing the cheek pieces in both my Excals, I still needed to build up the top portion another 1/4 inch to achieve a good natual alignment. (Their stocks have too much drop in the comb for me).. I did it with lots of tape layers and then mole skin. Perhaps this winter a layer of good ol Bondo followed by a grinding and sand job will go on the cheek pieces now that I know how high to build them up.
Oh, and the same applies to the alignment of left and right "fit'..
radebaugh03

#7 radebaugh03

radebaugh03

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 10:50 AM

I went ahead and did the Bondo thing. Here is the result I posted on Excalibur forum..

IMO, Excalibur puts too much drop in the comb of their stocks. I wish they offered several sizes for cheek pieces like they do for stock extentions. HINT HINT!
Anyway, after puttng the cheek piece on the stock, I added "Bondo" layers to the top and sides of the cheek piece. After the Bondo cured, I sanded it to a proper shape so that my eye is in perfect alignment with the scope when I shoulder the Excalibur. I painted with flat leftover paints and then stuck on a piece of soft grip fabric. Now the "fit" is dead on for me. Bascially I doubled the amount of height from the accessory cheek piece to get the proper fit..

Attached Images

• IMG_3988.JPG

#8 Cossack

Cossack

Incurable Tinkerer

• Members
  • 3,532 posts
  • LocationNo MN

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:05 PM

Cheek, eye, and scope alighment is purely a personal thing. When one brings a rifle, shotgun or crossbow stock to the cheek, one's eye should be aligned automatically with the scope (or sights).. If further movement to center the scope or sights is necessary, maximimum accuracy and speed is usually lost.
Even after installing the cheek pieces in both my Excals, I still needed to build up the top portion another 1/4 inch to achieve a good natual alignment. (Their stocks have too much drop in the comb for me).. I did it with lots of tape layers and then mole skin. Perhaps this winter a layer of good ol Bondo followed by a grinding and sand job will go on the cheek pieces now that I know how high to build them up.
radebaugh03

Or, you could try lower rings .

#9 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:05 PM

I was lucky. I installed the Ten Point Accu Draw on my 3D vortex and covered the housing with the fuzzy Velcro tape. I rest my chin on it and I love it. I had purchased the Excal cheek rest but it won't work in combination with the Accu Draw.

Attached Images

• 214.jpg

#10 radebaugh03

radebaugh03

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:51 PM

Or, you could try lower rings .

Good point here! In my case I already have the lowest rings possible that still allow the scope to clear the base etc.
I love my Excals but do find the drop in their stocks is much more than other brands I have shot.. But I have it fixed for me now with the Bondo job! And it kept me out of other trouble for a while, and I still have another to do..

#11 goldtooth

goldtooth

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:56 PM

I took my cheekpiece off my Exomax to see what it was like...it was like a different bow without it. I just wish they offered a cheekpiece for the old carved limb Exocets of the 90's.

#12 Cossack

Cossack

Incurable Tinkerer

• Members
  • 3,532 posts
  • LocationNo MN

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:31 PM

radebaugh03

Could it be your scope rings are too high?

#13 radebaugh03

radebaugh03

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:06 PM

Could it be your scope rings are too high?

As stated in a previous post, I have the lowest rings possible. The drop in Excal stocks is just too much for me. I have fixed the issue with my cheekpiece mod and the fit is great.
I love my Phoenix and Excocet..