• Please log in to reply

#1 XLR8

XLR8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 609 posts
  • LocationAxson,Ga.

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:15 PM

Whats the difference between a Xbow shooting 300fps and one thats shooting 375fps? I know the difference with the compound bow ,you can shoot farther with your first sight pin lets say a compound shooting 360fps can shoot out to 40yards with 1 pin.This way your not grabing a range finder to see if he is 20,30,or40 yards.Does the Xbow work the same way?Does a Xbow shooting 375fps shoot the same as one shooting 300fps? If a deer is at 20yards one at30 and one at 40yards are you going to have to use 3 different crosshairs or dots? Does the faster Xbow use different sight in than the slower ones,maybe first dot from 10yards to 30yards? Or do you set them all at 20,30,and40yards.Thinking about changing over to Xbow from a compound and need a little information.

#2 XLR8

XLR8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 609 posts
  • LocationAxson,Ga.

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:22 PM

I guess nobody shoots a crossbow

#3 thirdhandman

thirdhandman

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • LocationUnion Ky

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:45 PM

Whats the difference between a Xbow shooting 300fps and one thats shooting 375fps? I know the difference with the compound bow ,you can shoot farther with your first sight pin lets say a compound shooting 360fps can shoot out to 40yards with 1 pin.This way your not grabing a range finder to see if he is 20,30,or40 yards.Does the Xbow work the same way?Does a Xbow shooting 375fps shoot the same as one shooting 300fps? If a deer is at 20yards one at30 and one at 40yards are you going to have to use 3 different crosshairs or dots? Does the faster Xbow use different sight in than the slower ones,maybe first dot from 10yards to 30yards? Or do you set them all at 20,30,and40yards.Thinking about changing over to Xbow from a compound and need a little information.

Xlr8 If you shoot a vertical bow you will find similarities. gravity is gravity. At 300 fps my vertical shoots same pin from 7 yards to 21yards. My 330 vertical goes out to about 24yards and my 350fps crossbow goes out to about 28 yards same pin or in crossbow case cross hair. I haven't shot 375 fps yet but my guess would be the same pin from 4yards to about 32 yards. Just a guess but would be pretty close.

#4 Guest_vixenmaster_*

Guest_vixenmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:00 AM

Faster = flatter trajectory 375 fps 1st xhair 30 or 35 yds then each drop down will give more yardage as it tilts riser end up tp compensate.

#5 Gary in Ohio

Gary in Ohio

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:25 AM

Most crossbow scopes have aiming points every 10 yards. Some scopes can be adjusted to different speeds. For example the Excalibur scopes are variable power scopes. The adjustment ring, instead of listing the magnification, lists the speed. The lower power magnification is for slower speeds. At higher magnification the aiming points look closer together and work for higher speed bows. The aiming points are not always exact. For example, you might be dead on at 20 and 30 yards, but 2 inches low at 40.

Some scopes are simply made for a certain speed of bow. If your bow comes with a scope it's probably made for a bow that shoots in the same speed range.

#6 Cossack

Cossack

Incurable Tinkerer

• Members
  • 3,472 posts
  • LocationNo MN

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:37 AM

Most crossbow scopes have aiming points every 10 yards. Some scopes can be adjusted to different speeds. For example the Excalibur scopes are variable power scopes. The adjustment ring, instead of listing the magnification, lists the speed. The lower power magnification is for slower speeds. At higher magnification the aiming points look closer together and work for higher speed bows. The aiming points are not always exact. For example, you might be dead on at 20 and 30 yards, but 2 inches low at 40.

Some scopes are simply made for a certain speed of bow. If your bow comes with a scope it's probably made for a bow that shoots in the same speed range.

I shoot three bows, with significant different speeds and trajectories. They shoot to the same point of impact using the same aimpoint in each scope by using two kinds of scopes and different arrow weights. The Excaliburs, at 295 and 320 fps with a 405 gr arrow, are topped with Lumizones which can be adjusted for individual trajectory. The '69 Parker Cyclone is topped with a Hawke MAP, using a 445 gr arrow at 345 fps it hits EXACLY the same POI as the above.
This way I don't have to think twice when readying to shoot. Range the target, use the respective aimpoint, and do the deed.

#7 Cossack

Cossack

Incurable Tinkerer

• Members
  • 3,472 posts
  • LocationNo MN

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:48 AM

Generally speaking, the faster bow will have a flatter trajectory but you'll still have to use different aim points regardless how fast the bow is at said distances. However a faster bow sighted in at say 30 yards will be closer to the point of aim at 20 and 40 yards than a much slower arrow. The individual aiming points are not adjustable in crossbow scopes. However, using a variable scope like the LumiZone or the Hawke XB30, etc the distance between the aim points can be increased or decreased to compensate for trajectory.
The is also a red dot reflex sight (TruGlo) with settings for different reticule spacings but no magnification.

#8 XLR8

XLR8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 609 posts
  • LocationAxson,Ga.

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:32 PM

Thanks guys that helped alot.I will be looking for one that shoots 375fps instead of the slower bow.thanks again for the replies.

#9 Cossack

Cossack

Incurable Tinkerer

• Members
  • 3,472 posts
  • LocationNo MN

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:44 PM

Thanks guys that helped alot.I will be looking for one that shoots 375fps instead of the slower bow.thanks again for the replies.

Speed does kill....both deer and bows. Generally speaking, the fastest bows are more difficult to get to shoot accurately, may require special arrows and are harder on components like serving, cables and strings as well as targets. They may also require a press that can handle them, not to mention 'bow monkeys' that know how to service them. Do consider the plus and minuses of speed bows before you leap.

#10 XLR8

XLR8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 609 posts
  • LocationAxson,Ga.

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:02 PM

Thanks Cossack i`ll keep this in mind.Still hate to pay an extra $300.00 for 30fps. The Predator sells for 699.00 and the quad 400 for 329.00. Any other good bows around 329.00 that`s pushing 345fps?

#11 vaguru

vaguru

• Members
  • 971 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:43 PM

You need to consider the Penetrator, 340+ fps, or the Buck Commander, 365+ fps. The Predator will shoot 375+ fps. I would rather have one of these due to use of Barnsdale limbs. JMO

#12 XLR8

XLR8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 609 posts
  • LocationAxson,Ga.

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:06 PM

Thanks Vaguru ,does barnett warranty the new Xbows that is sold on ebay? Some trail cams are not covered.

#13 thirdhandman

thirdhandman

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • LocationUnion Ky

Posted 24 December 2010 - 10:47 AM

Speed does kill....both deer and bows. Generally speaking, the fastest bows are more difficult to get to shoot accurately, may require special arrows and are harder on components like serving, cables and strings as well as targets. They may also require a press that can handle them, not to mention 'bow monkeys' that know how to service them. Do consider the plus and minuses of speed bows before you leap.

Cossack: Sometimes we repeat what we have heard more than speaking from our own experience. We can take a 40 lb bow and put a arrow spinned for a 60lb bow and it will be hard to group. That said " Generally speaking, the fastest bows are more difficult to get to shoot accurately, may require special arrows and are harder on components like serving, cables and strings" My friend bought the pse tac15 or whatever it is called, anyway it is shooting 400fps, using pse arrows gets 2" groups at 60 yards using a bench rest. All He did was assemble the bow dial it in and shoot. This is his second season with it and no troubles yet. Pretty much the same with my Scorpyd 125 accept I'm Not that good of shot, not the bows fault. The faster bows are built heavier duty. Stronger limbs and cams and Heavier strings etc. The pse uses a loop so there is nothing to touch the rail. This is the second season with my Scorpyd and my serving is still good. By the way if I did have to change the string or serving, with the Scorpyd I don't need a press. A screw driver or an allen wrench will do.
The only thing a bow has to do is repeat itself. If we just try what the manufacturer suggest first we can generally save a lot of headachs. Now for the other problems of speed. It takes away a lot of the fun when you try to pull the arrows. You will damage foam targets big time. And the part I like best I sell a lot of www.bagtarget.com to the guys shooting the faster bows. They stop the arrows, are easy to pull and don't wear out very easily.