View New Content Mark all as read |  

Arrows vs. Bolts

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

#1 OLD JIM

OLD JIM

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:32 AM

It is my understanding that 99.9% of todays Crossbows shoot Arrows as their projectiles, not bolts.Arrows being even diameter rounds with vanes or feathers to stabilize them. Bolts being short, more like darts with the stablization molded in the shaft. Modern crossbolt projectiles are not Bolts, but rather Arrows. Is this correct??

#2 Icanthitnutin

Icanthitnutin

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:06 AM

It is my understanding that 99.9% of todays Crossbows shoot Arrows as their projectiles, not bolts.Arrows being even diameter rounds with vanes or feathers to stabilize them. Bolts being short, more like darts with the stablization molded in the shaft. Modern crossbolt projectiles are not Bolts, but rather Arrows. Is this correct??

This is like asking does a semi auto gun use a clip or magazine. This subject is beat to death here. Do a search. We are winning the war on crossbow legislation and the use of arrow or bolt has yet to even be a part of the argument. Call them what you like and don't debate the subject. where does it get us to do so?

Look for yourself, Half the arrow company's list them as crossbow bolts. same with the bow manufacturer's half of those list them as bolt's.

And I could care less what the anti's think. they don't count no how.

#3 Cactus

Cactus

• Members
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:25 AM

Icanthitnutin: I disagree as we Crossbow users shoot arrows, an arrow is over 4 inches long and uses vanes, it's not a bolt nor a dart. On another note your profile states that you're from Flordia , where's Flordia? never heard of it and it's not on the world map. Cactus

#4 Cadet Jack

Cadet Jack

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:26 AM

You are correct, Jim. I supposed we have to look at Barnett as the culprit for calling arrows "bolts". At least, as far back as I can remember, they were calling them "bolts" The term, bolt, goes back pretty far. Huge crossbows, called "ballistas" were use as seige machines, and the earliest reference that I have found is when one was turned loose on a castle. The defenders were not familiar with the power of such a weapon and believed that their ramparts and gates were being hit by lightning bolts..... Ergo..... But, I digress.

Technically a bolt has no steering mechanism other that a tadpole or coke-bottle shape. Arrows are fletched. For todays hunting bows, "arrow" is correct.

#5 Old Longhair

Old Longhair

Crazy Ol' Foole

• Members
  • 2,149 posts
  • LocationMid-Michigan Cornfields

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:56 AM

These are bolts.

Posted Image

They look nothing like what I shoot out of my bows.

What we shoot ARE arrows.
And I wish that all the new crossbow manufacturers, as well as the shaft makers, would start being correct, instead of doing what they believe to be marketing.

#6 Icanthitnutin

Icanthitnutin

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:01 AM

Icanthitnutin: I disagree as we Crossbow users shoot arrows, an arrow is over 4 inches long and uses vanes, it's not a bolt nor a dart. On another note your profile states that you're from Flordia , where's Flordia? never heard of it and it's not on the world map. Cactus

No you disagree with Parker bow company, Carbon Express, Easton Archery, Gold Tip, Cabela's, Ten Point. I can name a few more. If you use any arrows or bolts what ever you prefer to call them. From any of these company's you are in fact using "BOLTS".

Shame on you for the spelling Nazi attack. plz point me in the right direction to correct my mistake. I would be glad to fix it for ya.

#7 OLD JIM

OLD JIM

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:37 PM

For marketing, any company can call their arrow a screw, or a nail or what-ever, but it's still an arrow. I have a workshop with many sized bolts, but I shoot my crossbow using arrows.

#8 Icanthitnutin

Icanthitnutin

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:48 PM

For marketing, any company can call their arrow a screw, or a nail or what-ever, but it's still an arrow. I have a workshop with many sized bolts, but I shoot my crossbow using arrows.

Yeah call Parker bow company, Carbon Express, Easton Archery, Gold Tip, Cabela's, Ten Point.
and tell those guys to call them arrows. LOL

I thought everyone wanted them called arrows cause the anti's cry with legislation. Now they selling bolts for marketing reasons? O_o

Really guys it doesn't matter what we call them. it changes nothing.

#9 Icanthitnutin

Icanthitnutin

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:57 PM

Hold on guys! It's all a conspiracy! I just saw this thread

http://www.crossbown...rossbow-tuning/

And even Tom Doyle is calling them BOLTS!

You see guys, why fight over bolts and arrows? where is it getting everyone? cause no one else cares.

Next this guy will be posting about ethical shot distance. And we all know what can of worms that will be. I'll be getting popcorn.

#10 Guest_vixenmaster_*

Guest_vixenmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:00 PM

Arrows or Bolts or quarrels ? What if i told you i make all my alum. arrows from Easton bare arrow shafts then cut them to my length sq. the cut ends & build my arrows ? Spect they be arrows i don't care what any company calls their in house arrow/bolt. No matter on carbon either they have 22 series bare arrow shafts.

#11 Ventilator

Ventilator

• Members
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:18 PM

Mine are all arrows, no matter what the shaft, packaging, or manufacturers nomenclature says. Bolts are for nuts, and holding things together.

#12 xbowguy

xbowguy

• Members
  • 789 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:23 PM

Semi Auto shotguns don’t use clips or mags. What’s your point? Yes I do know what a Saiga-12 is and it's not a shotgun?

Arrow companies are confused and don’t know what to call the little short arrows expect kid's arrows. To be cool and because some dumb ass wanna be crossbow user who has a lot of post on the internet, therefore making him an expert on the subject matter, told them they are called bolts so they bought in.

Bolts are shot by guys who wear big heavy coats and funny shoes while shooting really small targets at 30 feet. This event occurs mainly in small little foreign countries that don’t have guns.

#13 Icanthitnutin

Icanthitnutin

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 01:38 AM

Arrows or Bolts or quarrels ? What if i told you i make all my alum. arrows from Easton bare arrow shafts then cut them to my length sq. the cut ends & build my arrows ? Spect they be arrows i don't care what any company calls their in house arrow/bolt. No matter on carbon either they have 22 series bare arrow shafts.

If you told me that, I guess I could not believe you. and I tell you why. cause you speak about how you build laser 2 shafts in all your previous post. And last time I checked those they are called bolts by Gold Tip. So you must be building crossbow bolts not arrows.

#14 Icanthitnutin

Icanthitnutin

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 01:59 AM

Semi Auto shotguns don’t use clips or mags. What’s your point? Yes I do know what a Saiga-12 is and it's not a shotgun?

Arrow companies are confused and don’t know what to call the little short arrows expect kid's arrows. To be cool and because some dumb ass wanna be crossbow user who has a lot of post on the internet, therefore making him an expert on the subject matter, told them they are called bolts so they bought in.

Bolts are shot by guys who wear big heavy coats and funny shoes while shooting really small targets at 30 feet. This event occurs mainly in small little foreign countries that don’t have guns.

A action spring tube is also know as a magazine. true story! you can buy shotgun magazine extension's for pump guns and semi auto guns. just sayin.

Clips hold the rounds so you can insert them into the magazine. such as an M1 Grand or you can simply insert the round into the magazine. And then insert the magazine into the weapon.

#15 Guest_vixenmaster_*

Guest_vixenmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:09 AM

If you told me that, I guess I could not believe you. and I tell you why. cause you speak about how you build laser 2 shafts in all your previous post. And last time I checked those they are called bolts by Gold Tip. So you must be building crossbow bolts not arrows.

Yes i have 2 dz. GT II i fletched up yer correct. Did you read all of my post or just the part of there are 22 series carbon shafts waiting to be made? 1st part says i build alum. arrows! I do & have fer a long time. 2216 & 2219. Why is it you like to stir the pot ? You want to call yer arrows bolts thats fine with me mine are arrows!

#16 Icanthitnutin

Icanthitnutin

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:47 AM

Yes i have 2 dz. GT II i fletched up yer correct. Did you read all of my post or just the part of there are 22 series carbon shafts waiting to be made? 1st part says i build alum. arrows! I do & have fer a long time. 2216 & 2219. Why is it you like to stir the pot ? You want to call yer arrows bolts thats fine with me mine are arrows!

Stir the pot? Nope! It's not me callin bolts arrows. I just point out what industry standard is and you got ticked off cause I don't think you like me pointing out you are against what industry standard is.

So far I have pointed out facts and you just make it up as you go and I'm suppose conform to your thinking.

I have told you 3 times I don't care what they are called and you rebut with falsehoods. I have and will stick to my guns that the industry calls them BOLTS.

Stir the pot is when YOU read the word "bolts" on these industry's websites and catalogs. and refuse to see them using the word bolts. and If you do see it, you somehow determine they are wrong.

I can also tell you like the last word so have at it.

#17 SPECIALIZED

SPECIALIZED

Super Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 5,449 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:02 AM

Call them bolts if that is your preference,but the majority of Crossbow shooters know they are arrows and call them so.Just because some of the arrow manufacturers decided to call them bolts, so what?.I know what a bolt looks like ,And I shoot nothing that resembles a bolt in my crossbows.
Maybe they call them bolts to differentiate short arrows from long arrows.This debate has been going on forever , eventually Arrows will be accepted, as crossbows continue to become even more popular.

see picture of bolt.

Attached Images

• 800px-CrossbowBolt.jpg

#18 Icanthitnutin

Icanthitnutin

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:16 PM

Call them bolts if that is your preference,but the majority of Crossbow shooters know they are arrows and call them so.Just because some of the arrow manufacturers decided to call them bolts, so what?.I know what a bolt looks like ,And I shoot nothing that resembles a bolt in my crossbows.
Maybe they call them bolts to differentiate short arrows from long arrows.This debate has been going on forever , eventually Arrows will be accepted, as crossbows continue to become even more popular.

see picture of bolt.

No doubt what you say is true. also the picture you provided came from Wikipedia.

I will copy and past the paragraph that that picture refers to:

The arrow-like projectiles of a crossbow are called bolts. These are much shorter than arrows, but can be several times heavier. There is an optimum weight for bolts to achieve maximum kinetic energy, which varies depending on the strength and characteristics of the crossbow, but most could pass through common chain mail. In ancient times the bolts of a strong crossbow were usually several times heavier than arrows. Modern bolts are stamped with a proof mark to ensure their consistent weight. Bolts typically have three fletches, commonly seen on arrows, however most pistol crossbow bolts have two. Crossbow bolts can be fitted with a variety of heads, some with sickle-shaped heads to cut rope or rigging; but the most common today is a four-sided point called a quarrel. A highly specialized type of bolt is employed to collect blubber biopsy samples used in biology research[

#19 OLD JIM

OLD JIM

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 01:43 PM

Give it up on this bolt stuff. For crossbow hunters and shooters, they are arrows. END OF SUBJECT.

#20 Icanthitnutin

Icanthitnutin

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:07 PM

Give it up on this bolt stuff. For crossbow hunters and shooters, they are arrows. END OF SUBJECT.

Ummmm NO!

END OF SUBJECT for you maybe. LOL

Wait! You been here for a total of 4 post. And your first topic is "ARROWS OR BOLTS" LMAO!

YOU IS TROLLIN! HAHAHA
boxxy-trolling.jpg