View New Content Mark all as read |  

Horton Super mag

• Please log in to reply

#1 Lineman

Lineman

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:49 PM

Can anyone tell me anything about this bow in terms of specs? I know it's 150 lb draw and it is a skeleton type stalk. Other than that, it was shot about 20 times and was never hunted with. It's really clean, no scratches and has red dot and a quiver with bolts. A guy wants 100 for it? My son wants his first and he has the saved the money. Does that sound OK for such and old but unused bow. It was described to me over the phone from a relative that really knew nothing about bows. HELP!!!! any info on specs would be appreciated.

#2 Oldwarhorse

Oldwarhorse

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:23 PM

Hey lineman, I was looking at one of those Supermags on ebay but there was something wrong with it so I passed. I think the rail was cracked. So I was curious to know what the rail was made of and why it cracked. I never followed up on it and decided to buy another twenty year old Horton Hunter Ambusch. It turned out to be a good deal and a really well kept piece.I found out everything there is to know about that Horton right here on the forum.Just hang in there. Some one will give you the specs. Many of the guys that really know their stuff are at the big show down south and they will be back next week. Oh, by the way, that is the way they spelled Ambusch. Something to do with the beer. The whole story is on this forum. Just check out "Horton Hunter Ambush"

#3 Lineman

Lineman

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:45 PM

hey thanks , I'll check it out. I will hang in there, I know someone will have some info. I am sure somewhere there is info to be found in terms of specs. At one time you would think some kind of sales info was available.

#4 Oldwarhorse

Oldwarhorse

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:19 PM

You know what, check out "Horton Serial Number" a few clicks down. Xbowguy found the full spec sheet for me. It is out there,just has to be found.

#5 Lineman

Lineman

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:13 PM

I will see if I can get serial number.

#6 semperfi1970

semperfi1970

• Members
  • 435 posts
  • Locationwestern ny

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:04 AM

Lineman, sorry for the late responce to this thread. I have a mid 90's Horton supermag and for some reason never seam to get rid of it. It is a short power stroke, slow like 260fps, steel cable driven thunder clapper. She is loud, heavy and kinda ugly in her own rite. She will repeat over and over out to 40 yards for me and slap nocks the whole time. Not the best hunting bow past 20 yards as it is so slow and loud as hell. But I cant say enough about the old girls ability to repeat. I have found the best arrow flight with 18" 2117 flat nock 5" vaned arrows with 125 grain points. Just my opinion if I were you I would pass up that bow for something a little newer, quieter, faster, non steel cabled and with out a 7 lbs trigger pull. If it is the newer non steel cable version $100 would not be that bad of a deal with the things it comes with.

#7 AndyC

AndyC

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 03:53 AM

From a 1992 catalogue, Horton claim the following for the Super Mag:

230 fps with a 410gr arrow with field point.

Equates to 46.1 ft/lbs energy, and according to Horton, a max hunting range of 40 yards... What ever that means LOL.

Hope this helps.

#8 semperfi1970

semperfi1970

• Members
  • 435 posts
  • Locationwestern ny

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:45 PM

From a 1992 catalogue, Horton claim the following for the Super Mag:

230 fps with a 410gr arrow with field point.

Equates to 46.1 ft/lbs energy, and according to Horton, a max hunting range of 40 yards... What ever that means LOL.

Hope this helps.

Andyc, is the 92 supermag the one with aluminum brackets that hold the wheels to the limbs?

#9 AndyC

AndyC

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 02:00 AM

Yep, bracketed wheels, and available in black or cammo.

True, not the prettiest bow out there, but was affordable and performed well for a bow of its time.

I remember the one I had a play with, had a fantastic trigger.

Off topic, but the catalogue in front of me advertises the Stalker and Supersport bows, nice indeed! The Stalker was top of the Horton range of the time, with walnut stock, ADF and adjustable trigger.