Despite the problems...

• Please log in to reply

#1 Sagittarius

Sagittarius

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • LocationIn a Tarpon boat.

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:19 PM

Even though there have been a few problems with cables fraying and some limb blow-ups,
I would still order a Scorpyd Crossbow if I didn't own one and were looking for a new bow.
Not down playing those who have had trouble and now despise the bow.
If you have trouble and unresolved problems, you have a right to be upset !
I'm just saying, imo, there is still no other crossbow that has as many features I like as the Scorpyd does.
Best balance, highest speed per draw weight, best limbs, and extremely heavy duty components.
I believe, the cable problem will be solved and soon forgotten.
The balance, above all, is what distances the Scorpyd in comparison to other crossbows. :thumbsu:

#2 mgeez

mgeez

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • LocationFelton, Pa.

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:59 PM

Totally agree. It would be nice, if when the cable problem is solved, if a Scorpyd spokesman(Jim) would "chime" in as to the problem, if there was/is one, and offer a response. I would highly respect a move like that!
mgeez

#3 Redm2

Redm2

• Members
  • 456 posts
  • LocationMICHIGAN

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:41 PM

I called Jim today to ask him a few questions and the question about the cable slide issue came up. He said, "We shot that same bow hundreds of times at the ATA show and never had any problems... The cables never began to fray. I don't know why that particular gentleman was having an issue." I am not going to qoute this next part because I might misrepresent something he said, but he elluded to the belief (made a statement) that his bows have the best design when it comes to his cable slide system among the other industry leading designs/engineering qualities his bows have. Outside of the cable slide issue, I would probably have to agree. The question remains, do (or possibly now more appropriately, "will") others believe the same?

He also said they have sold "hundreds" of the 165 and he hasn't seen anyone else have the issues this particular gentleman was/is having.

#4 mgeez

mgeez

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • LocationFelton, Pa.

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:36 PM

He also said they have sold "hundreds" of the 165 and he hasn't seen anyone else have the issues this particular gentleman was/is having.

Jim will have a chance to evaluate this particular "problem 165" if Wyvern sends it to him. I read on another thread "giannid" returned it to Wyvern for a strykeforce. I hope someone eventually reports from Jim regarding the cable fraying.

#5 giannid

giannid

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • LocationChardon Ohio

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:16 PM

I returned the bow directly to Jim and he should have it in his hands tomorrow. I'm not new to the crossbow world and have owned a handful of them. I did like the bow and it's sad it had to go but i was sick of it. We know it takes a lot of time in the field to site it in and get it dialed in to hunt. So it would of been the forth time i had to site the scorpyd in with that one and after I seen the new cable start to fray I was done with it. Jim can down play the cable problem but it is quite common, look around and you will see. He has a problem somewhere and I believe it is in the actual cable themselves. I think winners choice changed something on him or something. I'm a nuts and bolts kind of guy and fix thing on a regular bassis, I'm a contractor. So I'm not someone who has no mechanical ability. Actually rebuilt a diesel engine last week in a excavator I own. It was not a picnic. Anyways, my problem is real and needs to be figured it out. Jim liked to point the finger at me when my crossbow failed and this was the forth time it happened. Cables frayed on my 125, got it back, it blew up, sent me a 165, got it to shoot nice, cabled frayed, sent me new cables and I replaced them myself, and after 15 or so they frayed. I was done. If Jim doesn't come clean with us and tell us what really is going on he is in denial. I really think the cables are the problem now because the cable slide looked good. I even cleaned it up a little with some sand paper. The reason I got upset is the way he denied the problem and blammed it on me. Instead of trying to figure out what was going on he said it was impossible. So I told Dave to send me a new Strykeforce when it comes out. My problem was real and he needs to correct it. If he admitted it, I may even take that bow back after it was fixed. I doubt he will but I can promise you all one thing, It wasn't anything I did to cause the cable wear. Believe what you want.

Edited by giannid, 25 January 2011 - 03:17 PM.

#6 Redm2

Redm2

• Members
  • 456 posts
  • LocationMICHIGAN

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:40 PM

I returned the bow directly to Jim and he should have it in his hands tomorrow. I'm not new to the crossbow world and have owned a handful of them. I did like the bow and it's sad it had to go but i was sick of it. We know it takes a lot of time in the field to site it in and get it dialed in to hunt. So it would of been the forth time i had to site the scorpyd in with that one and after I seen the new cable start to fray I was done with it. Jim can down play the cable problem but it is quite common, look around and you will see. He has a problem somewhere and I believe it is in the actual cable themselves. I think winners choice changed something on him or something. I'm a nuts and bolts kind of guy and fix thing on a regular bassis, I'm a contractor. So I'm not someone who has no mechanical ability. Actually rebuilt a diesel engine last week in a excavator I own. It was not a picnic. Anyways, my problem is real and needs to be figured it out. Jim liked to point the finger at me when my crossbow failed and this was the forth time it happened. Cables frayed on my 125, got it back, it blew up, sent me a 165, got it to shoot nice, cabled frayed, sent me new cables and I replaced them myself, and after 15 or so they frayed. I was done. If Jim doesn't come clean with us and tell us what really is going on he is in denial. I really think the cables are the problem now because the cable slide looked good. I even cleaned it up a little with some sand paper. The reason I got upset is the way he denied the problem and blammed it on me. Instead of trying to figure out what was going on he said it was impossible. So I told Dave to send me a new Strykeforce when it comes out. My problem was real and he needs to correct it. If he admitted it, I may even take that bow back after it was fixed. I doubt he will but I can promise you all one thing, It wasn't anything I did to cause the cable wear. Believe what you want.

Your situation, while real, really confuses me. I could understand multiple problems with a single bow, but you've had problems with each bow you've had from him. I would like to think there is some operator error, but how could someone screw up the cables...? The only time you ever need to touch them is to put wax on them. Are you using the recommended wax? Odd question, but were you cocking it properly? I am not sure how this could effect the cables though?

Also, did you notice if the wear was all the way around the cable or just one or two side?

This is a bow that was shot hundreds of times at the ATA show and performed great. You may be on to something about Winners cables. Although, you'd think Jim would do continual testing on his bows to catch something like this. For example, test 1 bow for every 150 made to see if any parts from his suppliers have changed in any way. Maybe the manufacturer of the slide is using a different type of material or put an additive in it to make it last longer resulting in a harder wearing surface. I don't know, I just wonder what the problem could be with your old bow.

#7 giannid

giannid

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • LocationChardon Ohio

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:55 PM

I had cable wear problems with both the 125 and 165 I had. And the cables wore on on the same side, the left as you look down the barrel. Jim did change the cables out on that bow from the show before he sent it to me. He put new ones on because they had 400 shots on them from the show. I waxed them like the manual said and I was cocking it correctly like the manual and cd. If I wasn't cocking it right I don't think I would be getting good groups at 50 yards with broadhead, do you? I have heard quite a few peolpe talk about the cable wear. Do a search and you will find the same. I really think it is the cables and I think I heard one guy say when he switched to the viper cables the problem went away. Trust me, there is a problem. I'm a real person and I'm dissapointed. I loved that bow and did a lot of research before I purchased it. I really don't even like the strykeforce. If Jim told me he figured it out I would take that bow back in a minute. Like I said I'm a nuts and bolts kind of guy and I just like how that thing was built. I didn't care that it was heavy, I'm a 37 year old strong guy.

#8 mgeez

mgeez

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • LocationFelton, Pa.

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:14 PM

Your situation, while real, really confuses me. I could understand multiple problems with a single bow, but you've had problems with each bow you've had from him. I would like to think there is some operator error, but how could someone screw up the cables...? The only time you ever need to touch them is to put wax on them. Are you using the recommended wax? Odd question, but were you cocking it properly? I am not sure how this could effect the cables though?

Cannot be operator error!
I looked and looked at my 125 tonite. There is no way someone could cock it wrong or shoot it incorrectly to fray those cables.

#9 giannid

giannid

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • LocationChardon Ohio

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:29 PM

Thank you mgeez! I know. Now all we have to do is get Jim to admit that as he likes to blame everything else other than the bow. I'm not here to bash the bow or Jim. I like the the crossbow or I would not have given it 4 chances. I would probably take that 165 back if he said yes there was a problem and we have taken care of it and made it right. He did admit the first time that the cable slide was rough on the 125 that the cable frayed. After that it was all my fault some how. I really am curious to what is going on and would like some kind of explanation even though I'm going with a new strykeforce. I kind of deserve it after all i went through with my 2 bows. They gave me hell!

#10 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:03 PM

So you are going with a 2011 Strykeforce that you don't like, although you have not shot one yet? No dog in this hunt but I'll tell you this, there's no way in hell I'd keep a crossbow I paid that much money for and have its problems blamed on me if I was confident I did not cause the problem....and the only reason you have the 165 is because the 125 blew up?? One would think the 125 would be less prone to problems than the 165 but you went in opposite direction :-(?

Do yourself a favor, don't buy another crossbow until you've shot it and know it's what you really want. Good luck, and looking at it on the good side, you have months before hunting season comes in :thumbsu:

#11 giannid

giannid

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • LocationChardon Ohio

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:55 PM

Moon, I liked the scorpyd crossbow. I liked the way they felt and shot. There is no where to shoot the strykeforce near me. To be honest, one of the reasons I'm going to the strykeforce is because you talk so highly of them. I hope you're right. BTW, I have owned an excaliber exocet for a few years and love the bow. Just want something more high tech, faster, and narrower. And I am very confident I didn't cause the problem with my scorpyd, in fact I know I didn't.

#12 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:11 PM

Good luck. I hope things work out for you :-)

#13 Sagittarius

Sagittarius

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • LocationIn a Tarpon boat.

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:01 AM

giannid,

I'm sure, you guessed my topic here was mostly inspired by your bad experience and I admit it was.
Not because I don't believe you but because of some emails I recently received from fellow bowhunters who I've recommended the Scorpyd to in the past and more recently.
They read of your problems and are concerned, as I would be, if I were a newbie in search of a new crossbow.
I've had my RDT125 since August 09' and the Winners Choice cables and strings still look pristine on mine.
It does confuse the hell out of me that you've had such a problem with your cables, to be honest. :huh:
Winners Choice has always had a great following on AT and other sites and always had a sterling reputation so it borders on the bizarre that you have had such bad luck with their strings, unless the slide is at fault.
I still think, overall, the Scorpyd is a fantastic bow and mostly unequaled by anything else.
Hope to hear what Jim has to say when he gets the bow back !

Edited by Sagittarius, 26 January 2011 - 12:02 AM.

#14 Redm2

Redm2

• Members
  • 456 posts
  • LocationMICHIGAN

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:27 AM

Hope to hear what Jim has to say when he gets the bow back !

Considering I'm probably not going to be buying a bow until April because the bowtech lineup, the scorpyd telson, and new limb choices for the 165 should all be out by then, I hope Jim finds the cause because it'll make my decision easier if not.

I hope you read this Jim, if not, I hope someone who knows you does because there are some questions that need to be answered for currrent, future, and 1 previous owner! Hopefully someone has the ability to relay the message.

#15 mgeez

mgeez

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • LocationFelton, Pa.

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:58 AM

I hope you read this Jim, if not, I hope someone who knows you does because there are some questions that need to be answered for currrent, future, and 1 previous owner! Hopefully someone has the ability to relay the message.

Ditto!

#16 bski

bski

• Banned
  • 469 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:26 AM

Ditto!

i put my cable crossover on the right hand side instead of left looking down the barrel.......it just looked like less angles. these are new viper x strings with a hundred shots or so with absolutly no sign of wear at all ..my 165 is real smooth too....

#17 giannid

giannid

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • LocationChardon Ohio

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:04 PM

Like I said many times before, I purchased the scorpyd because I thought it was a very good product. I do think the problem will be solved by Jim. I really think it is some manufacturing problem with the cables or even the slide possibly with one of Jims vendors. Lets face it, Jim buys the components from vendors and puts the bow together. Many things that are out of his control can happen and give him a bad rap. Like maybe winners choice changed something with the cables or the slide is being made out of a different material. The problem I had was the way it was handled by him. Instead of looking at the possibillities he popinted the finger at me and said it was impossible. He needs to understand something, anything is possible. And if he wants people to buy his product I think he needs to handle problems differently. I think he has a good product and some of the bugs just need to be worked out. Maybe as simple as changing the vendor he gets his cables from. I did hear he was talking to Danny Miller about making his strings and cables for him. I think Dan said that was not going to happen.

#18 jimkempf

jimkempf

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:45 PM

Hey guys, it's me. First and foremost, I need to clarify one thing. As far as I know, there is no problem with our cable slide that is any different than any other crossbow manufacturer with theirs. There is a ton of pressure there, and wear does occur. That being said, I have NEVER seen cable wear like Gionni had. I do not doubt that he had issues with it, its obvious he did. But why, I don't know. From talking to him, he seems lke a very good guy, smart, level headed, and I feal terrible he had these issues. I take this personally, more so than I probably should. But he had bad luck with our crossbows, and we (Wyvern) have replaced his 165 with another brand of bow. I wish him nothing but good luck in the future.

From what I have recently read, some of the Scorpsters have changed from Winners Choice to Viper X or Danny Millers and have cut down on cable wear. If that is the case, I would love to know the combination. If anyone out there has tested these other brands and had good success, let me know. I am proud to call Danny a friend of mine, and I would love to use his strings, but I don't have the time to test them. We do it manually, no machine. We spent weeks testing the combination we are currently using, and did not have premature wear issues, otherwise we wouldn't be using them. That would be just plain stupid! We strive to make the BEST crossbows you can get, there is ALWAYS room for improvement, and I do listen....(phone call anyone, see below)

As many of you are already aware, I don't get on here very often... it's a time issue. I need to make more time for it, but it is hard. And as many of you know, I don't really like computers, more like they don't like me! Dorge from Firenock exagerated (a little) when talking about me and returning emails. I do it, but sometimes not as fast as the sender would like. I don't get on the computer every day. I sometimes go 3-4 days without sitting down in front of it. I MUCH prefer phone calls. I guess I'm old school...

#19 giannid

giannid

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • LocationChardon Ohio

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:15 PM

It's good to see you on the forum Jim! Anyways, I see you reieved the bow back today by the Fedex tracking number. Hopefully you can figure out what is going on. I'm sure you seen that I returned the first set of cables and the cable slide. I really did like the bow and am kind of sad it didn't work out. I wish I was one of the guys that had good luck with it. Hopefully you figure out what is going on. I'm sure it is driving you nuts as it drove me nuts. Even though I don't own the bow anymore I'm so curious to what you find. I'm always fixing things that need repair and that puzzled me a bit. If you would like to contact me my phone number is on the Fedex label with the return address. Good luck!

#20 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:22 PM

Jim, you asked so here goes :-)...I've tried several brands of crossbow strings on quite a few crossbows and (not my opinion, but fact) Viper X strings and servings have outlasted the others. I've shot them extensively on 200 lb draw Excals, 380 lb draw SCM Twinbow, Bowtech SF and DS, Horton V 175 and Ultra Lite, all with either BCY 8125 or 452X and Halo servings. I haven't found any other brand, including no name (and mine:-) custom strings that equal Viper X. There may be better crossbow strings but I've not found them. Horton switched to Viper X strings on the reverse limbed V 175 and I think it's safe to say their string problems were eliminated.

Attached Images

• DSC01500.JPG

Edited by Moon, 26 January 2011 - 08:23 PM.