bought my first excalibur

• Please log in to reply

#1 miken

miken

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationBlacksburg,VA

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:37 PM

I finally picked up my first crossbow, an Excalibur vixen, from a professor of mine, it has been fired twice and never hunted. For the price he wanted I couldn't pass it up. Its a little dated, needs need dissipator pads and a scope but looks to be in great shape! I'm looking to string and target shoot it tomorrow. Anyone have any experience with these or have any suggestions for these bows . Thanks!

#2 Cossack

Cossack

Incurable Tinkerer

• Members
  • 3,594 posts
  • LocationNo MN

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:33 PM

I finally picked up my first crossbow, an Excalibur vixen, from a professor of mine, it has been fired twice and never hunted. For the price he wanted I couldn't pass it up. Its a little dated, needs need dissipator pads and a scope but looks to be in great shape! I'm looking to string and target shoot it tomorrow. Anyone have any experience with these or have any suggestions for these bows . Thanks!

Don't really need D bars on lower powered Excals like the Vixen. Suggest a new Flemish string may be in order. Lots scopes out there that will work just fine. I use a Luminze on m,y excals only because it's a variable scope whose reticule aim points can be tuned to the trajectory of your arrow. It and the Varizone (tad smaller and reticule does not light up) are distributed by Exal. Hawke makes some great crossbow scopes, their MAP is (IMO) the best for the money; it's a straight 3.5 power, It's a nice trim, compact scope that should fit the Vix nicely. You can spend a lot more but won't be shooting much beyond 40 with the Vix so why?

#3 Guest_hankenhunter_*

Guest_hankenhunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:45 PM

Congrats on your vixen! Give Vixenmaster a shout about vixens. I have been
reading his posts for a few years now. I find his posts to be infomative,
entertaining, and funny.I get a kick at the way he describes deer as those
damm tick toters. :lol:
Happy shootin,
Hank

#4 miken

miken

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationBlacksburg,VA

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:19 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, I wont lie I am completely green when it comes to archery so the little details are the best help

#5 awshucks

awshucks

• Members
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:06 PM

Congrats! X2 on no diss bars/pads. Did you get; peep and pin sight, rope cocker, string aid, arrows, w/ it? Don't shoot same place twice, lol.

#6 Guest_vixenmaster_*

Guest_vixenmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:06 PM

Ah another vixen owner, such lovely models they are. awshucks & others here also own vixen's. X3 or 4 about no need fer Dis bars. I take it that you have peep n pin on it ? Are you just going to shoot targets & or 3-D's ? If'en you have no rope cocker mark each side of yer string where its touching the rail. So when you cock it by hand you keep the marks as close as you can to the rail. If not it will shoot to the side that eased over the mark. Farther out you get the worse it will hit to the side. You have a stringer ? You really need one fer adjusting the brace height. Ask ?'s we need some good mental workouts. What model/yr vixen you have ?

#7 miken

miken

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationBlacksburg,VA

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:54 PM

I know this must sound like a really stupid question but how would I confirm the year or model? He told me it was about 9 years old, but I don't have his invoice/receipt and I don't see anything on the crossbow other than a sticker that says vixen. I have two unused strings, not sure what types of string they are or really the difference between types. Is there a type you recommend? The set up came with about 40bolts some aluminum some carbon, some broadhead some blunted and some field heads (a real mix). It does not have a scope or anything on it so I have been doing some research as to which type a descent for a starving college kid price haha What my plan for this bow is to spend as much time with it between now and next deer season to become familiar with it and try to figure this whole archery sport out. Like I said I am as green as they come to this stuff, I literally heard about this bow for sale, thought it would be a nice new hobby and picked it up. I'm not even really sure what types of questions to ask, I have just been looking at the forums and trying to do research to see what all the different types of stuff are for the vixen. Nobody around me seems to know much about crossbows to help me out with hands on pointers, the local hunting shop directed me to the Excalibur website to watch instructional videos and they also recommended I register here and just chat it up with people to get my bearings, so I'm shooting from the hip here.

#8 awshucks

awshucks

• Members
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:21 AM

Hard to tell year or model, no serial #'s on them. What do the limb tips look like? Do they resemble a carved tip long bow or do they have obviously glued on tips that are a tad bigger than the limbs? This is kinda important cause the older carved tip only take one type string and the other will take any.

There should be two lines scribed across the top of rail [where arrow sits] down by riser [holds limbs] end. those are the acceptable brace height marks, where your string needs to sit 'at rest' [un-cocked]

You will want to sort the arrows and only shoot one type at a time due to probable weight differences, a grain scale will come in handy.

The rope cocker has two hooks on it and two handles like a pull start boat motor or lawn mower. They cut the effort to cock in half and more importantly center the string every shot. There should be a groove in the stock by the safety for the rope.

Link to Excal video's: http://www.excalibur...uctional_videos

Here's a pic of a stringing aid:

Posted Image

Edited by awshucks, 05 February 2011 - 02:27 AM.

#9 Guest_vixenmaster_*

Guest_vixenmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:03 AM

1995 1st vixen's made came with careved tip limbs & dacron string also had a cast riser with no brace heigth mark. 2000-04 vixens straigt machined riser mag tip limbs shoots any material string it will be all blk with a red vixen sticker on the right side rear on rail has one brace heigth mark. I can tell by yer ? of dis bars you don't own the vixen deluxe model. 2005-08 vixen deerhide brn mag tip limbs machined forward riser has 2 marks fer brace heigth & its the most over all best hunting model due to the extra speed from forward riser. You could have most any kind of arrows & fer accuracy the carbons using brass inserts are among the best. Alum are also accurate just don't have the FOC-forward of center as the brass inserted carbons. Do you like a cluttered view thru scope or clean view thats a personal choice. I love a clean view with just a xhair of decent thickness to see well in early or evening dim light hunting. Using a single xhair will give 3 pts of aim without cluttered view & should cover most any shot at game out to 30 yds which is out there if you hunt in thick woods & timber like i do.

#10 semperfi1970

semperfi1970

• Members
  • 435 posts
  • Locationwestern ny

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:28 PM

Good for you, you should have yourself a fine crossbow on your hands. I have a Phoenix and have found the flemish string to shoot a tiny bit faster. I make my own strings using Brownell b-50, slower but much quieter and easier on the bow. I recommend a 20" 400 grain arrow for best overall performance, noise/accuracy/speed. Happy shooting.

#11 miken

miken

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationBlacksburg,VA

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:42 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
So my first question about the dissipator pads related to the circles on this picture, they are rubber/synthetic pads that seem to have deteriorated over time. The first picture is of all the stuff that I got with this package except the target and the case. I did have another question about the metal with string thing on the bottom right of the first picture, what is this for? Is it another type of re-stringer? I am taking the arrows into a lab at school tomorrow and weighing and separating them out so that I can keep everything straight.I have been looking at scopes/sights for this but haven't seen anything that seems like a descent quality for the price. Thank you for your help everyone! Oh and Vixenmaster your bow resprayed and with the new stock looks great! :bow:

Edited by miken, 05 February 2011 - 10:45 PM.

#12 Guest_vixenmaster_*

Guest_vixenmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:55 AM

Congrats on hitting the jackpot, you have a 98/99 vixen with disbars added to it. Yes you can get new pads, Dan Miller has them. It has the cast straight riser with carved tip limbs-shoot only dacron strings with it. I see you have rope cocker & crankaroo & stringer so yer set on all of that. The part you asked about off to the right i can't see well enuff to tell what you have. If'en you get a chance fer a close up pic of it by itself i maybe able to tell. Appears you have some spitfire BH's in the arrow box great BH's fly like field tips, i knowed as i have them also. I won't recommend a scope as its you that has to use it. I have a rifle scope on mine Bushnell Elite 1.5x6x42 #4 german recticle & i love it but its big & heavy.

#13 awshucks

awshucks

• Members
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:45 PM

Double congrats, had one of those, let it get away to vmaster. Been sorry ever since. Those are 'carved tip' limbs and are no longer available. You will want to string it to change diss pads, at that time, check limbs w/ cotton ball for splinters. The cotton will hang up on them. If they have a problem, now or later, they will be replaced by Danny under warranty, [new are called molded tip] as will the pads if you send them to him.

Congrats on a great find!

ps: you can get a peep and pin for it, I've given all my extras away already but someone might have a set for cheap, they come w/ new bows, guys put scopes on and then they just sit in a drawer, lol.

Edited by awshucks, 06 February 2011 - 12:49 PM.

#14 CBRon

CBRon

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationErie, county. PA.

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:12 PM

The thing on the right looks like a coccing slead and straps for a horton recon or vision crossbow.

#15 miken

miken

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationBlacksburg,VA

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:32 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Here are the close-ups as requested thanks again!

Edited by miken, 07 February 2011 - 09:23 AM.

#16 Guest_vixenmaster_*

Guest_vixenmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:41 AM

Yes it is indeed a cocking sled, never tried one. The rope cocoer should be better & faster fer you. More ?'s

#17 miken

miken

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationBlacksburg,VA

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:55 AM

Yes it is indeed a cocking sled, never tried one. The rope cocoer should be better & faster fer you. More ?'s

Thank you vixenmaster; I don't know any more ?'s to ask right now..I'm sure after messing with this thing a few times I'll come up with at least a few

#18 automated11

automated11

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:39 PM

Those dissapator pads went bad because the bow had the string taken off without removing the pads. Make sure that you remove the rubber pads before letting your new to you vixen down. If you do that the new pads will last a very long time! Congrats on your find!

#19 1HOOT1

1HOOT1

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 07:38 PM

Nice find!

Now for a scope. Excaliber has just put new scopes on the market. This is good for many because there's nothing wrong with the older models!

The 'Vari & Lumi' scopes are great for all practicle purposes and can be found cheap! If you later find yourself getting more serious to x-bow archery, simply use your experience then, to upgrade.

Just a thought & welcome to the sport!