scorpyd 165 string broke !!!

• Please log in to reply

#1 offshorebandit

offshorebandit

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • Locationtampa bay area florida

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:09 AM

shooting my 165 today getting ready for a hog hunt in less than 2 weeks pulled string back (useing sled)loaded bolt pulled trigger and BANG !!! bolt went about 5 yds infront of me and was like what just happened !!! i called jim at scorpyd and he told me i must have dry fired it and or string jumped the bolt !!!??? its only 1 month old and less than 100 shots !!! i didnt argue with him saying or demanding a new string nor did he offer sending me one,,, after reading about the string problems on this website prior to calling him i just told him i would get a set of after market strings,,, i really dont need this happening while on a hunt cause if it did the phone call wouldnt have been as pleasnt,,, i still think its an awsome crossbow and still trying to get things figured out with it and trying different arrow weights and broadheads now having to start over in a time sensitive manner !!! i ordered new set of cables and 2 strings for it from viper-x since i hear people on here has had good luck with them,,, talked with Jessee at viper x today and said he would have them ready in 2 days and shipped either the 2nd day or 3rd,,, what a nice guy to talk too and looking forward to getting them soon,,,,

#2 Raleigh Archer

Raleigh Archer

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:52 AM

Yes, it does sound like the string jumped the nock, which has happened with most bows, but seems to be more of an issue with high string angle bows. This is the first I heard of it happening with the Scorpyd, but there are a LOT of reports of this happening with the Vision, which has an even sharper string angle when cocked.

Two ways to prevent this from happening in the future:
1. Check your nock as you load each time to make sure it is perpendicular to the cock vane. It is rare, but sometimes a nock can rotate a little out of position, and that will prevent proper seating of the string in the string groove on the knock.
2. When you seat the arrow against the string, try to twist it back and forth. You will get used to one feel when the arrow is properly seated, and it will then be noticeable when you get it wrong.

#3 bski

bski

• Banned
  • 469 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:24 AM

Yes, it does sound like the string jumped the nock, which has happened with most bows, but seems to be more of an issue with high string angle bows. This is the first I heard of it happening with the Scorpyd, but there are a LOT of reports of this happening with the Vision, which has an even sharper string angle when cocked.

Two ways to prevent this from happening in the future:
1. Check your nock as you load each time to make sure it is perpendicular to the cock vane. It is rare, but sometimes a nock can rotate a little out of position, and that will prevent proper seating of the string in the string groove on the knock.
2. When you seat the arrow against the string, try to twist it back and forth. You will get used to one feel when the arrow is properly seated, and it will then be noticeable when you get it wrong.

firenock/aerovane dorge will soon solve this mystery also...........

#4 offshorebandit

offshorebandit

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:41 AM

firenock/aerovane dorge will soon solve this mystery also...........

when you hear something in reguard to Dorge please let me know,,,thank you,Mark

#5 giannid

giannid

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • LocationChardon Ohio

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:24 PM

Of course Jim said it was your fault. No way there could be anything wrong with one of his bows. They never have problems with the strings or cables. :thumbsd:

#6 Raleigh Archer

Raleigh Archer

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:37 PM

Of course Jim said it was your fault. No way there could be anything wrong with one of his bows. They never have problems with the strings or cables. :thumbsd:

Easy there, giannid. The description of what happened is a classic malfunction that can happen with moon nocks on every freaking bow out there. Do some reading in the Horton section, and you'll see several threads on this. Heck, just ask Moon about this, of all people. He HATES moon nocks because of this very problem, and I think he'll eventually chime in here saying as much.

#7 offshorebandit

offshorebandit

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:03 PM

Easy there, giannid. The description of what happened is a classic malfunction that can happen with moon nocks on every freaking bow out there. Do some reading in the Horton section, and you'll see several threads on this. Heck, just ask Moon about this, of all people. He HATES moon nocks because of this very problem, and I think he'll eventually chime in here saying as much.

i read the problems giannid had,,,,im not blaming anybody but after reading string problems with this animal i figured why put the same problem back on??!!! so viper-x here we come !!! i also bought the tac-15 arrows and cut then down and fletching them as we speak going with blazers to see how they work but fletched 2 of them with AAE max hunter vanes that are supposed to work well with broad heads,,, but with speeds over 400+ fps nothing seems as they should compared to my mathews z7 and z7 extreme,,, i hear you can use the nocks that come with the tac-15 arrows as they are like regular nocks but a little larger to fit the string so the string shouldnt jump !!! i will give my feedback on the viper-x strings when i put them on,,,,

#8 firenock

firenock

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • 976 posts
  • LocationHenry IL

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:32 AM

i read the problems giannid had,,,,im not blaming anybody but after reading string problems with this animal i figured why put the same problem back on??!!! so viper-x here we come !!! i also bought the tac-15 arrows and cut then down and fletching them as we speak going with blazers to see how they work but fletched 2 of them with AAE max hunter vanes that are supposed to work well with broad heads,,, but with speeds over 400+ fps nothing seems as they should compared to my mathews z7 and z7 extreme,,, i hear you can use the nocks that come with the tac-15 arrows as they are like regular nocks but a little larger to fit the string so the string shouldnt jump !!! i will give my feedback on the viper-x strings when i put them on,,,,

You are in LUCK, The firenock Q nock is coming out very soon, SPECIALLY design for Scorpyd crossbow. It is the only nock that ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY ELIMINATE string jump. May be add another 3-5 fps due to more efficient transfer of energy. Jim should have the first delivery by mid march from me!

It will fit the Tac-15 arrow, Gold Tip laser II, Laser III, and Aerobolt PERFECTLY.

#9 bannon

bannon

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:26 AM

This is good news from Firenock! I will be buying a Scorpyd and this set up sounds like it could help with potential problems. Good work!

#10 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:00 PM

Retro engineering continues, I see. Yep, I don't like moon nocks, especially plastic moon nocks. The only way I see that moon nock issues will be remedied is to eliminate moon nocks by use of a fool proof full capture nock, especially on severe string angle crossbows like the Scorp and V 175 and then I personally would not want plastic on my arrows.JMO

Edited by Moon, 11 February 2011 - 02:01 PM.

#11 Raleigh Archer

Raleigh Archer

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:10 AM

Retro engineering continues, I see.

Funny, but I don't see any "retro engineering" slam in your defense of the Vision, which has suffered WAY more instances of this. In case you forgot, here's one of SEVERAL threads on the Vision and broken strings that you were involved with. I thought your posts were right on the money in this thread, so why are you taking a different tone here, I wonder...:
http://www.crossbown...ion-175-string/

#12 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:44 PM

You never let up do you :sword:

The reason it popped up more frequently is because it was one of the hottest selling crossbows in the industry from what we've heard. :huh:

I think your skin is way too thin. Take a deep breath. :P
  • bigship likes this

#13 offshorebandit

offshorebandit

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:36 PM

got my viper-x cables and strings today just like Jesses promised and shooting 2-fps faster than with the factory strings !!! shooting 400gn arrow at 426fps was 424,,, if anybody needs cables and/or strings for their crossbow i wouldnt hesitate to get then from viper-x !!! Jessee recomends useing string snot but i had already bought scorpion venom rail lube and the cable/string lube, i will try that stuff next,,, i will also check to see if i will get any of that cable fraying with this new set and pass info on to Jim at Scorpyd since that appears to be an issue with them,,, will keep you posted,,,

#14 Jvac3

Jvac3

• Members
  • 351 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:05 PM

got my viper-x cables and strings today just like Jesses promised and shooting 2-fps faster than with the factory strings !!! shooting 400gn arrow at 426fps was 424,,, if anybody needs cables and/or strings for their crossbow i wouldnt hesitate to get then from viper-x !!! Jessee recomends useing string snot but i had already bought scorpion venom rail lube and the cable/string lube, i will try that stuff next,,, i will also check to see if i will get any of that cable fraying with this new set and pass info on to Jim at Scorpyd since that appears to be an issue with them,,, will keep you posted,,,

Hey offshorebandit
Keep us updated a just ordered a set from Jesse also they should be her soon.I will try to get them put on soon also and see how they work on my 165.

#15 firenock

firenock

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • 976 posts
  • LocationHenry IL

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:04 AM

This is good news from Firenock! I will be buying a Scorpyd and this set up sounds like it could help with potential problems. Good work!

How about a tease.. Below is the diagrams for the Firenock Q, Scorpyd and Firenock D Tac-15 nock. As you can see the design is quite similar but different in many ways, the Q nock is shorter, more strout and a little more refined. To make life simple they both use the same extreme shock end cap pack as Firenock F for Ten point/Excalibur and Firenock V for 22 size gold tip, [XF].
Posted Image

#16 offshorebandit

offshorebandit

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:02 AM

How about a tease.. Below is the diagrams for the Firenock Q, Scorpyd and Firenock D Tac-15 nock. As you can see the design is quite similar but different in many ways, the Q nock is shorter, more strout and a little more refined. To make life simple they both use the same extreme shock end cap pack as Firenock F for Ten point/Excalibur and Firenock V for 22 size gold tip, [XF].
Posted Image

quit teasing,,,are these available,,,need them for the scorpyd im shooting tac-15 and aramid kv arrows,,,

#17 firenock

firenock

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • 976 posts
  • LocationHenry IL

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:37 AM

quit teasing,,,are these available,,,need them for the scorpyd im shooting tac-15 and aramid kv arrows,,,

Firenock Q would not fit the Aramid due to size. FYI, carbon express ID is 0.270" while GT, and most others are
0.300". Thus Firenock D will only fit arrows with 0.300" ID like GT laser II, laser II pro, laser III, Stricker bolts, TAC bolts, and Aerobolt, etc

Edited by firenock, 19 February 2011 - 04:57 AM.

#18 Big-Bird-VA

Big-Bird-VA

• Members
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:14 AM

Firenock Q would not fit the Aramid due to size. FYI, carbon express ID is 0.270" while GT, and most others are
0.300". Thus Firenock D will only fit arrows with 0.300" ID like GT laser II, laser II pre, laser III, Stricker bolts, TAC bolts, and Aerobolt, etc

Since the Aramids seem to be the best over the counter arrow for the 165 why wouldn't you make a nock for it?

#19 Big-Bird-VA

Big-Bird-VA

• Members
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:16 AM

Retro engineering continues, I see. Yep, I don't like moon nocks, especially plastic moon nocks. The only way I see that moon nock issues will be remedied is to eliminate moon nocks by use of a fool proof full capture nock, especially on severe string angle crossbows like the Scorp and V 175 and then I personally would not want plastic on my arrows.JMO

Retro? My friend bought a Horton. Out of the box it had problems. Sent it back on day 2. They lost his xbow and sent him another one. Retro huh? :startle:

#20 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:49 AM

I'm not defending their crap either. The first time I cocked a V 175 the rollers fell out of the sled. I posted that and sent emails to them but just because one brand has a problem is no reason to say "yeah, but look at that other brand it did it too" My comment was mainly focused on crappy moon nocks and people nonchalantly loading them incorrectly. I've seen moon nock related problems pop up with virtually every bow that uses them. Dorge's snap on nock should help those folks.