View New Content Mark all as read |  

Rope Cocking Device Tips & Hints ?

• Please log in to reply

#1 RoadKill1948

RoadKill1948

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:31 AM

Yup, anohter new guy question. I tried a search and couldn't find what I wanted. What I'm looking for is any tips/hints on how to best use the rope cocking device. Are there any specific "watch outs"? How about consistency? Hold hands next to each other or spread them apart? Thanks again.

#2 briarpatch

briarpatch

• Members
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:39 AM

Don't know of any specific do's/don'ts.....just make sure that the rope is set in the groove...I almost made that mistake....adjust the length so that the cocker is not too long...I'm short (5'5") and had to make some adjustments.....other than that...follow the instructions and make enough 'dry runs' so that it becomes a reflex action

#3 1BUCDWN

1BUCDWN

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • LocationTitletown USA Green Bay Wi. 1 2 31 45

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:53 PM

I would just add keep the hooks tight to the bow and keep your pull nice and even.

#4 timlynne

timlynne

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:39 PM

I would just add keep the hooks tight to the bow and keep your pull nice and even.

Use your legs and back like lifting a heavy object. In other words don't be too upright. If you are you will use your arms too much Keep it steady once you start. I also bought a Parker Roller Cocker that has a roller just above the hooks that help glide up along the rail.

#5 deerhunter65

deerhunter65

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:23 PM

Yup, anohter new guy question. I tried a search and couldn't find what I wanted. What I'm looking for is any tips/hints on how to best use the rope cocking device. Are there any specific "watch outs"? How about consistency? Hold hands next to each other or spread them apart? Thanks again.

#6 MiddletonDTM375

MiddletonDTM375

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:40 PM

I have attached a link to a video I did on setting up and adjusting a cocking aid hope it helps.
Cocking Aid Use and Adjusting

#7 hiking

hiking

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:14 PM

great vidio, that should cover it. You can keep adjusting the rope until you find what works best for you. My rope cocker has rollers on it. so I think its best rolling against the frame. I painted one handle orange for easier attaching to the string.

#8 468deer

468deer

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:51 PM

The Parker website has a nice video on how to use & adjust a cocking rope.

#9 jlemon

jlemon

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:44 PM

Don't let this happen :phew:

Attached Images

• DSCN0736 (Medium).JPG

Edited by jlemon, 19 March 2011 - 07:35 PM.

#10 semperfi1970

semperfi1970

• Members
  • 435 posts
  • Locationwestern ny

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:04 PM

Din't let this happen :phew:

How in Gods name did you do that?

#11 jlemon

jlemon

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:33 PM

How in Gods name did you do that?

I really have no idea. It was the very first pull right out of the box and it broke at only about 20% drawn. There is a small moulding seem where the rope goes around the rear of the stock. I can catch it with my fingernail so I guess I'll sand it off.

#12 LoveLabs

LoveLabs

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:58 PM

I really have no idea. It was the very first pull right out of the box and it broke at only about 20% drawn. There is a small moulding seem where the rope goes around the rear of the stock. I can catch it with my fingernail so I guess I'll sand it off.

I put an 8-inch length of clear tubing on my cocking rope. I did that specifically to avoid what happened to you. I bought it in a diameter that just lets the rope slide through it.

I put the tubing on the stock and hold it there with my chest while putting the hooks on the string. I made the overall string length just long enough so I have to lift the bowstring up slightly to put on the second hook. That way there is tension on the rope and I don't have to hold the slack out of the rope before cocking the bow.

#13 jlemon

jlemon

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:46 AM

I put an 8-inch length of clear tubing on my cocking rope. I did that specifically to avoid what happened to you. I bought it in a diameter that just lets the rope slide through it.

I put the tubing on the stock and hold it there with my chest while putting the hooks on the string. I made the overall string length just long enough so I have to lift the bowstring up slightly to put on the second hook. That way there is tension on the rope and I don't have to hold the slack out of the rope before cocking the bow.

What crossbow are you shooting? I barely have a slot in the receiver big enough for the rope on my Buck Commander. I doubt if I would have room for tubing over rope although that is a great idea. Moot point now that I shelled out the $80 for a cocking sled. Just a bit gun shy after that smack in the jaw lol.

#14 Old Longhair

Old Longhair

Crazy Ol' Foole

• Members
  • 2,149 posts
  • LocationMid-Michigan Cornfields

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:41 AM

Moot point now that I shelled out the $80 for a cocking sled. Just a bit gun shy after that smack in the jaw lol.

Just wait 'til you have your foot in the stirrup, and the rope breaks with that sled in the track. Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 jlemon

jlemon

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:52 AM

Just wait 'til you have your foot in the stirrup, and the rope breaks with that sled in the track. Posted Image

Posted Image

You're filling me full of confidence lol

#16 LoveLabs

LoveLabs

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:33 AM

What crossbow are you shooting? I barely have a slot in the receiver big enough for the rope on my Buck Commander. I doubt if I would have room for tubing over rope although that is a great idea. Moot point now that I shelled out the $80 for a cocking sled. Just a bit gun shy after that smack in the jaw lol.

Yah, a self-inflicted smack in the jaw is a a very disconcerting event. Been there, done that with my release when I could still shoot a vertical bow. Only took me 3 or 4 times to realize I should stop doing that!! :thumbsd:

I shoot a pair of TenPoints (Titan II and Titan Tl-7). I don't put the rope in the receiver slot. I put the clear tube over the end of the buttstock and pull the rope so the hooks are evenly spaced downward toward the bowstring. Then I lean on the tube with my lower chest and connect one hook, then I pull up slightly on the string and connect the other hook (still leaning on the buttstock with my lower chest). I originally set the string length so that when this is all hooked up and ready to be cocked, the string is under tension and the hooks can't fall out if I choose to stand up and check things out before I pull the handles.

I put the hooks on so the opening is facing forward (upward toward the rail). That way when I get the bow cocked, all I have to do is flick my wrists and the hooks fall off the string by themselves.

The penalty I pay for this approach is my rope is a little longer than those that fit behind the receiver. In my opinion, this is a small price to pay for the protection the tube provides for the rope and for the ease with which I can slide the rope through the tube to adjust the position of the hooks.

When I am done cocking the bow, I just fold the rope in sections to match the 8 inch length of tube and stow it in one of the pouches on my web gear. Never had a problem. To use it, I just hold the tube and let the hooks and handles fall as they want, and the rope has never tangled worse than if it was shorter.

Learned this approach from the first guy I knew with a cross bow and I liked it. To me it sure beats trying to feed a handle and a hook through the thumbhole like some TenPoint owners do -- and then having to pull the hook and handle back through the thumbhole after cocking the bow. The clear tube was my idea (with 165 pounds of tension on the rope I figured I didn't want to smack myself in the face again -- see ... I learned!!! :thumbsu: )

Edited by LoveLabs, 20 March 2011 - 09:35 AM.