Vane damage ?

• Please log in to reply

#1 HogBane

HogBane

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • LocationMesquite, Texas

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:30 AM

I probably shouldn't tempt fate by asking this but, What next?

While sighting in my new Quad AVI, I noticed that the vane on the right side of the arrow was damaged. As you can see in the pics the damage is being caused by the right side of riser(AVI limb retainer). Has anyone else had this problem? Wont this effect the accuracy? I'm shooting the Barnett arrows that came with the +bow. The cheap arrows that came with the +bow are one thing but I don't want to mess up the carbon express cross bolts I bought for hunting.

DSCN2715.JPG

DSCN2717.JPG

Edited by HogBane, 25 February 2011 - 04:11 PM.

#2 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • 897 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:48 PM

Interesting.
My Quad is in the box right now, but shooting it never wrinkled the vanes like that. Though I have been using a smaller vane, but it's length is still simillar to the longer 3"/4" long vanes.

Seems to me the end of the limb holder should be at the same location as the end of the riser...or a lot closer than yours is.

Shoot...these pictures to Barnett...see what they have to say.

Mike

#3 HogBane

HogBane

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:12 PM

Thanks for the reply mike,

Actually the vanes contact both sides, the right side more than the left. I have a 75.00 batch of arrows that I don't want to mess up. I don't intend to custom fletch arrows for the life of this +bow. It seems like the part thats in the way is part of the AVI system.

HogBane

#4 semperfi1970

semperfi1970

• Members
  • 435 posts
  • Locationwestern ny

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:24 PM

Hogbane, now that doesn't seem rite. I would send pics to Barnett. The cheap arrows that came with the bow are actually Easton power bolts.

#5 HogBane

HogBane

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:04 AM

Thanks semperfi1970

I talked to Barnett this mourning and Rick is going to send a new riser assembly. I guess that means a whole new front end? He said that it should be here by Thursday. By the way I didn't mean to cast any dispersions on the Easton power bolts that came with the +bow by use of the word "cheap" I do know that the Carbon Express Cross bolts that I just purchased were not cheap.

HogBane

Edited by HogBane, 22 February 2011 - 11:05 AM.

#6 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • 897 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:41 PM

The Easton arrow shafts are fine as far as I've seen...but their older (grooved) moon nock is really crap (can I say that?).

Mike

Edited by Mike, 22 February 2011 - 03:42 PM.

#7 semperfi1970

semperfi1970

• Members
  • 435 posts
  • Locationwestern ny

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:50 PM

The Easton arrow shafts are fine as far as I've seen...but their older (grooved) moon nock is really crap (can I say that?).

Mike

Mike, I could not agree more. The Easton grooved nocks are total crap. If you are using any that look like this regardless of color, STOP using them and send them to me for proper disposal. I am a certified crap nock disposal technician.

Attached Images

• 0222011742.jpg

#8 TWANGGG

TWANGGG

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:32 AM

I just bought some bolts and they have this type of nock....seem to shoot spot on...I am NEW to crossbows and shooting a Wildcat from the 70's with Horton matched weight carbon arrows ,so please advise as to which type of nocks I should be using.....

Edited by TWANGGG, 23 February 2011 - 08:34 AM.

#9 Moe60

Moe60

• Members
  • 270 posts
  • LocationNE Tennessee

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:53 AM

I just bought some bolts and they have this type of nock....seem to shoot spot on...I am NEW to crossbows and shooting a Wildcat from the 70's with Horton matched weight carbon arrows ,so please advise as to which type of nocks I should be using.....

First off welcome to Crossbow Nation!

As to your question - you should be fine with those nocks. The problem has been them splitting and causing a partial dry fire when shot out of some higher speed bows. While the Wildcat that you shoot is a fine bow (I have one too) it does not have high enough launch pressure to split the nock.

#10 Miguel from Portugal

Miguel from Portugal

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:32 AM

The problem is simple, the vanes that you are using are to large.
It's strange to be Barnett bolts because they are good in type of vanes, so probably the guy who sell you that saying that are for Barnett and they are not.
It's not a problem and that didn't afect the accuracy. That Easton nock it's really a XXXX.... Better to thake it to the garbage...

#11 HogBane

HogBane

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:04 PM

Miguel from Portugal

It says on the arrow "Barnett Crossbows" The vanes are the same width on Carbon Express Cross bolts that I purchased. I looked at Bass Pro for a narrower vane to no avail. The vane width is not the problem.
hopefully the new riser assembly that Barnett is sending will be the solution.

HogBane

#12 HogBane

HogBane

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:13 PM

Barnett sent me a new front end assembly. Rick told me that there was probably a cam timing issue with the one I have, so they sent me a replacement. I put them on top of one another to see if their was a difference in them. Take a look and see if you can see the difference. Cam timing? what ever. :rolleyes:

DSCN2719.JPG
This is the one is the original.

DSCN2718.jpg
This is the one is the replacement.

HogBane

#13 Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationMontgromery county,Pa

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:47 PM

Hmm cam timming..it's possable...Vanes do look big for that narrow little sight window...if it still does it. change them to low profiles...thats what i shoot off my BC and i even fletch my vanes forward more then the factory ones and had a small problem of the vanes being damaged from the top of the receiver,now they fly like a dream...Thunderbolt

Edited by Thunderbolt, 25 February 2011 - 06:53 PM.

#14 HogBane

HogBane

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:37 PM

Hmm cam timming..it's possable...Vanes do look big for that narrow little sight window...if it still does it. change them to low profiles...thats what i shoot off my BC and i even fletch my vanes forward more then the factory ones and had a small problem of the vanes being damaged from the top of the receiver,now they fly like a dream...Thunderbolt

Thanks for the suggestion Thunderbolt

The new front end assembly damages both vanes. I'm getting very frustrated with this +bow. The vanes hit the AVI limb retainer as the arrow exits the +bow. You can see the point of contact on the first set of pics at the top of post. I don't know the first thing about fletching arrows. It doesn't seem like I should have to have customized arrows for such a common +bow. I wonder if sanding down the edges of the AVI limb retainer would help? They are kind of sharp edges. I'm afraid that all I would accomplish is voiding the warranty. I guess the other thing that I could do is make a template to cut the outer edges of the vanes down. The "cam timing" is just Barnett BS. Well I guess you can get a square peg through a round hole if you get a big enough hammer.

:growl: HogBane

DSCN2725.JPG

DSCN2726.JPG

Edited by HogBane, 25 February 2011 - 10:40 PM.

#15 buckmaster221

buckmaster221

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 602 posts
  • LocationSouthern Mid-Michigan

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:04 AM

Did/are they replacing the arrows for you as well? It looks to me like the vanes are actually cut and not just wrinkled. If this is the case, I would be asking for more arrows.

#16 Jack Pine

Jack Pine

Crossbow Nut

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  • LocationNorthern MI

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:10 AM

Hogbane,
Pretty ugly vanes. Of course the vanes hitting the riser is going to affect accuracy. It can't help it, but if it's consistent, it will still be possible to be pretty accurate for a while. I tend to agree with Miguel but I also wonder about the depth of the track. Is the cock vane touching the bottom of the track? As it is, short of selling or returning your bow, the only alternative is to refletch using low profile vanes or buy new arrows. One of my bows has a very shallow track so I got some Bohning low profile x vanes that make all the difference, still I can understand how disheartening it is to have a new bow that will now require you to buy fletching supplies for.

Jack ><>

#17 HogBane

HogBane

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:16 AM

Did/are they replacing the arrows for you as well? It looks to me like the vanes are actually cut and not just wrinkled. If this is the case, I would be asking for more arrows.

Yes buckmaster221

This is one of the 4 new arrows that was sent with the new front end assembly. This arrow has been shot about 10 times while sighting in the +bow. I would ask for a whole new +bow but both front end assembles did this to the vanes. Stands to reason that the next one (#3) might do this as well. Did I just get two bad apples in a row or is the whole bushel rotten?

:growl: HogBane

#18 buckmaster221

buckmaster221

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 602 posts
  • LocationSouthern Mid-Michigan

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:37 AM

I agree, it is very disheartening to say the least. I would measure the width of the vanes compared to the sight window and see how much clearance you need. Then I would go to a pro shop and see if they have lower profile vanes that would fit through the sight window with plenty of clearance.

There may be something with that model, maybe not. It would be worth it to check locally for something that might work and THEN get in touch with Barnett and discuss what you found out. Who knows, they might be willing to cut you a check for new arrows if it will keep you in their bow. New arrows with the correct clearance would be cheaper than shipping a new front end again only to end up with the same issue potentially.

#19 Miguel from Portugal

Miguel from Portugal

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:52 PM

It's seems that your «older» crossbow are from the 2005 model year by the type of the case limbs.
I see again that that vanes are bigger than normal and are not the actual Barnet model, they are the old model based on Gold Tip...

#20 HogBane

HogBane

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:02 PM

Who knows, they might be willing to cut you a check for new arrows if it will keep you in their bow.

buckmaster221,

I have a better solution than that. What they should do is send me a +bow that has a different riser design (wider sight window) like the Predator. It's not like I'm asking for a Ghost 400. The sight window is huge on that design. There is no way that this problem could occur with its design. Considering the amount of time, money, gas and frustration that I have endured, I think an upgrade would be an appropriate resolution. I have searched this and other forums and I can't find anyone else that has had vane damage like this. If it is a design issue, it seems that I would be able to find someone else with the same problem.

I purchased this +bow for my 50th B-day to cheer myself up after the Doctor told me that I would have to have a rotator cuff operation ($30,000.oo) He said that a vertical bow is out of the question until long after the operation, if then. He gave me a prescription for a +bow with a crank cocking devise. I'm starting to wonder if I got the prescription filled at the right place.

:fpc: HogBane

Edited by HogBane, 26 February 2011 - 05:11 PM.