View New Content Mark all as read |  

ghost 400 or predator

• Please log in to reply

#1 270wsm

270wsm

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:32 PM

is the ghost 400 worth the extra money for just 25fps? the predator comes in about $400 dollars cheaper.has anyone shot both of them and can give me some info. on what to do? i want the best bow for the money to deer hunt with.or should i just get the scorpyd 165 for $1300. they shoot 25fps faster than the ghost.

Edited by 270wsm, 24 May 2011 - 06:33 PM.

#2 semperfi1970

semperfi1970

• Members
  • 435 posts
  • Locationwestern ny

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:08 PM

Well 270WSM, seing how you did not go by the name .22Cheetah, 220swiftIp, 223wssm, 204ruger or 17rem I gather you are not a total speed junky. I would love to own a Scorpyd 165 or the new Ghost 400 but I find the Predator by far exceeds my expectations of speed and power. I went from shooting the bare min and under arrow weight trying to make the Predator as fast as could be to shooting 548 grain arrows and doubleing up targets as not to blow through them. The quest for more speed and power is allways there and allways comes at a premium. For the money you cant go wrong with the Predator.

And to think Ackley's .22 Eargesplitten loudenboomer was fast at 4,600fps. What the heck was this clown thinking of? Why would one need a .22-50BMG? It has to be fake.

Attached Images

• 0524012153.jpg

#3 270wsm

270wsm

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:49 AM

thanks thats was what i was thinking. i just want something good to deer hunt with. i haven't shot a crossbow in years so i'am out of touch. but it want be long now

Edited by 270wsm, 25 May 2011 - 04:50 AM.

#4 semperfi1970

semperfi1970

• Members
  • 435 posts
  • Locationwestern ny

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:20 PM

270wsm, If you buy any crossbow shooting over 350 fps the first time you pull the trigger you will get that silly grin on your face followed by the words hot damn. If you get a predator you can sling a 548 grain arrow at 347 fps and you better buy a good target as they just dont like to stop. The predator isnt the fastest bow out there anymore for raw fps but it is still an animal all the same. Heck save the $400 and buy some good arrows, a spiderweb target and some spare strings and cables with the money saved. Good luck fella.

#5 beagleman

beagleman

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:05 PM

270wsm, If you buy any crossbow shooting over 350 fps the first time you pull the trigger you will get that silly grin on your face followed by the words hot damn. If you get a predator you can sling a 548 grain arrow at 347 fps and you better buy a good target as they just dont like to stop. The predator isnt the fastest bow out there anymore for raw fps but it is still an animal all the same. Heck save the $400 and buy some good arrows, a spiderweb target and some spare strings and cables with the money saved. Good luck fella.

Ditto on the save the 400 bucks and buy some goodies. There is also the ghost 350 to consider as well. You checked out the bowtech strykezones yet?? They are fast and you can get the 380 package for $650 - that is cheaper than the new buck commander which is $699 mrsp with the new carbon fiber riser (I dont know how much the predator will be w? CF riser).

You may also want to check out the new winchester line which comes out in june. They are getting lots of attention.

Good luck with yer shopping.....so many to choose from!!!

Edited by SPECIALIZED, 25 May 2011 - 11:08 PM.

#6 270wsm

270wsm

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:55 AM

no not yet but i will check them out bowtech that is. thanks for the info.

#7 briarpatch

briarpatch

• Members
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:11 AM

no not yet but i will check them out bowtech that is. thanks for the info.

One thing I've learned is to read the fine print. Just looked at BowTech's warranty/manual on the web...found this:

DISCLAIMER OF LIABILITY: By accepting a Stryker product, the
buyer agrees to hold harmless Stryker and all associated parties
from liability for any damage to persons or property, which may
result, for any reason, from the use of this product.

So, if it's defective, and blows up....and causes you serious injury...BowTech's not liable? :huh:

The new 350's and 380's just came off my list.....

Edited by briarpatch, 26 May 2011 - 08:13 AM.

#8 beagleman

beagleman

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:15 AM

One thing I've learned is to read the fine print. Just looked at BowTech's warranty/manual on the web...found this:

DISCLAIMER OF LIABILITY: By accepting a Stryker product, the
buyer agrees to hold harmless Stryker and all associated parties
from liability for any damage to persons or property, which may
result, for any reason, from the use of this product.

So, if it's defective, and blows up....and causes you serious injury...BowTech's not liable? :huh:

The new 350's and 380's just came off my list.....

Have you seen this with any other companies?

#9 briarpatch

briarpatch

• Members
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:31 AM

Have you seen this with any other companies?

funny you should ask....already started looking...so far, the only one that has something similar is Horton...Excalibur doesn't, Parker doesn't, TenPoint doesn't

still looking......

#10 semperfi1970

semperfi1970

• Members
  • 435 posts
  • Locationwestern ny

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:46 PM

When looking for a good buy when it comes to a high performance bow I look for a few key things. Advertised fps and what grain arrow was the advertised fps achieved with. Noise level of the bow when shooting the minimum grain arrow. Customer service brings up the rear as I feel they all offer fair service. I feel for the money the Barnett line up offers the most fps and the most powerful bows. The predator is rated at 375 fps using a 450 grain arrow, to me thats good economical power. There are lots of bows shooting in that range and a tad higher but with a lighter arrow. I have found the predator to be the quietest and most accurate shooting a 548 grain arrow at 347 fps. A bud and I shot his 2010 bow rated at 400 ish fps using one of my 548 grain arrows and the chronograph read under 340 fps every time. I guess his $1,200 bow just has lite arrow fps with no power retention down range. For the money spent I choose the predator and get the speed and lots of power to boot. Look around and you can find a new predator in the $550 range. I got mine as a factory refurb with a warranty for $473, you just have to look around.

#11 richee

richee

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:45 PM

When looking for a good buy when it comes to a high performance bow I look for a few key things. Advertised fps and what grain arrow was the advertised fps achieved with. Noise level of the bow when shooting the minimum grain arrow. Customer service brings up the rear as I feel they all offer fair service. I feel for the money the Barnett line up offers the most fps and the most powerful bows. The predator is rated at 375 fps using a 450 grain arrow, to me thats good economical power. There are lots of bows shooting in that range and a tad higher but with a lighter arrow. I have found the predator to be the quietest and most accurate shooting a 548 grain arrow at 347 fps. A bud and I shot his 2010 bow rated at 400 ish fps using one of my 548 grain arrows and the chronograph read under 340 fps every time. I guess his $1,200 bow just has lite arrow fps with no power retention down range. For the money spent I choose the predator and get the speed and lots of power to boot. Look around and you can find a new predator in the $550 range. I got mine as a factory refurb with a warranty for $473, you just have to look around.

What kind of 548 grain arrows are you shooting? Richee

#12 semperfi1970

semperfi1970

• Members
  • 435 posts
  • Locationwestern ny

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:04 PM

Richee, I am shooting 22" Gold Tip lazer IV's with 60 grain brass inserts, aluminum nocks, 125 grain points and 4" vane tech vanes.

#13 Woody Sanford

Woody Sanford

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:28 AM

semperfi,

Did you notice much difference in noise with the heavier arrow? I just got my Predator last week and am working up some different arrow combo's to flight test heads with but haven't gotten to much shooting yet. I'm not much of a speed freak for hunting but for testing heads on the range, I love it. I would even be interested in heavier if it made a significant difference in noise.

Woody

#14 semperfi1970

semperfi1970

• Members
  • 435 posts
  • Locationwestern ny

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:46 PM

Woody Sanford, I have found my Predator to be much quieter using the heavier arrows, not that it was loud to Begin with but now it is quieter none the less. Using my chronograph and a free INTERNET calculator the KE of a 548 grain arrow going 347 fps produces 146.6 KE. I originally went to heavier arrows trying to get the stock Barnett scope aim points to mirror the arrow trajectory. Not achieving that what I did end up with was a quieter, harder hitting more consistent arrow and better fixed blade broadhead flite. The only down side so far is I have to double targets up to not burry the arrows to the fletching or half blow through the target all together. Being a hunter I would guess that you would like the heavier arrows.

#15 Woody Sanford

Woody Sanford

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 02:32 AM

Thanks semperfi,

I noticed the Predator was pretty quiet out of the box as well and what noise is there is a different noise, like all or mostly string noise, that's why I asked. Most of our testing has been done with Excal's over the years and last year I got myself a Vision 175 to hunt with. There is a big difference in noise with the composite rail than aluminum. Seemed like no matter what I shoved in the aluminum, it never got as quiet. I would imagine that a heavier arrow and some string silencers would make the Predator a real quiet bow. But I could see your problem (which is soon to be mine) stopping the arrows, the thing is ready for cape buff out of the box. :-)

I'm pretty impressed with it out of the box. I would be interested with any info you have on arrow combo's on the predator if you ever feel like sharing. I've got some prototype heads to test and of course just see what I can get away with. The reason I got the Predator was to get into the 370-380 fps range for developing broadheads for flight and impact energies.

Woody
woodysanford@magnusbroadheads.com

#16 semperfi1970

semperfi1970

• Members
  • 435 posts
  • Locationwestern ny

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:32 AM

Woody, at my age I tend to be a casual hunter. Anymore I spend more time at a bench with a rear bag and a cup of coffee trying to see what my bows can do at longer range. Field point accuracy with the predator is amazing at almost any reasonable range. I have tested some broad heads out of the predator but nothing much past 40 yards. About any mechanical broad head will fly straight and repeat at the Predators max arrow velocity. Fixed blades tend to plane to one side or the other and down in most cases. I have found this to be true with Muzzy, carbon express lung busters, Wasp bullet boss and Nap thunderheads. They all repeat off the same so one can adjust the scope for point of impact with the exception of the Carbon express lung busters were I got fliers. I believe the lung busters fail due to having a leading edge main blade and poor blade alignment. What I have found is using a heavier arrow, 4" offset vanes and a more aggressive FOC improves fixed blade repeatability but still does not match field points for point of impact. None of this will probably help you as it gets you out of the 375 fps range and puts you more like 350 fps at best.

Obviously my recent arrow of choice is the Gold Tip IV's at 22", 125 grain heads and 4" vanes at 350ish fps. I have also had excellent results using 22" 445 grain Victory X Bolts,125 grain heads and 3.6" flex Fletch vanes at 380ish fps.

As far as string silencers go I never much cared for them. I want the string to be at max velocity and then absorb the vibration after she shot not during the shot. The lighter the string and the thinner the string is the faster it will be in theory providing the arrow the most opportunity to absorb energy at any power stroke. The more energy you present the arrow to absorb the more it can absorb so in my theory string silencers just rob from available energy. You see the lower poundage bows producing higher velocities due to a longer power stroke, the longer the arrow is in contact with the string the more time it has to absorb available energy. I think Barnett found a happy medium in draw weight and power stroke working in harmony on the Predator. What I have done to help absorb wasted energy after the shot in addition to the AVI limbs is add limb saver's to the split limbs. I have moved them up and down the limbs finding the sweet spot without robbing arrow velocity and found 2" from the cams the place to be. On my Crossman Teton I need to be near the stock on the limbs to maintain velocity. Here is a pic of the limb savers in my found sweet spot and my best flying fixed blade broad head arrow combo. I didn't list this broad head as you will not find them on the market, at least I believe you wont as they are all of 30 or so years old. They are Wasp 4 blade cam locks at 140 grains mounted on a Goldtip lazer IV weighing 564 grains with no funny chisel point just a sharp steel point and very thin vented blades. Old school but they fly the closest to field point out to 30, even better than the compacts out of my bow. I am no scientist, just a hack with a itchy trigger finger so my results are worth less than the electronic ink they are printed on. Good luck in your research.

BTY, there is a Magnus Buzzcut vid on Youtube with some kid shooting a Horton with great results popping balloons with his sister, pretty neat video. And I bet the Ghost 400 would do with a 550 grain arrow what a Predator does with a 450 grain arrow or at least close to, just a thought imagine a 550 grain arrow at 375 fps = 173 KE if it could do it.

Attached Images

• 0528010907.jpg
  • 0528010840.jpg
  • 0528010839.jpg

#17 Woody Sanford

Woody Sanford

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 02:18 AM

Great info semperfi, thanks! Yeah I've noticed the heads planing low and how much depending on the amount of surface area but I've started to tinker a bit with spine to see if that has any influence. I have shot it through paper just to take a snap shot of the arrow coming out and its tail high, which would explain planing low. The 375+ is just for work, I'll hunt with what ever works out to shoot the sweetest, where ever that lands me.

Thanks again for the info.

#18 gendoc

gendoc

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Locationlowest bama

Posted 29 May 2011 - 05:58 AM

i've witnessed a predator perform and its very fast and accurate.
i can't wait for a review on the ghost from a member here..
will it really sling one to 400fps?
or better than that, maybe....550 grain arrow at 375 fps = 173 KE ?? !!!!
we gunna havta find some big critters to hunt with it.

#19 semperfi1970

semperfi1970

• Members
  • 435 posts
  • Locationwestern ny

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:27 AM

Gendoc, 173KE at 375fps if the #'s work out. Scary isnt it. :thumbsu:

I believe that would make the Ghost 400 the most powerful bow on the market. Do we have a new king? :devil:

#20 JWG

JWG

• Members
  • 412 posts
  • Locationwoodlawn il. jefferson cty.

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:48 AM

no