View New Content Mark all as read |  

Best serving material

• Please log in to reply

#1 spanishfly

spanishfly

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:05 AM

:DWhat material is better for serving Halo or Angel Majesty and what diameter.

#2 Guest_vixenmaster_*

Guest_vixenmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2008 - 05:53 PM

Boo will know as he builds strings for Excals

#3 Boo

Boo

• Members
  • 922 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:31 PM

Angel Majesty and Halo both are durable serving materials but both have different characteristics. Both have pluses and both have minuses. What are you looking for in a serving?

#4 spanishfly

spanishfly

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:08 AM

:)I am looking for a serving that last a while with no separation.

#5 Boo

Boo

• Members
  • 922 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 05:09 PM

.026" Angel Majesty should work well for you. I use .030 Halo exclusively but it probably won't work for you. If you can master Halo then I believe you have a superior serving. What serving too do you have?

#6 spanishfly

spanishfly

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:02 PM

:confused:How do you master Halo.

#7 Sean

Sean

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:41 PM

Halo is a great product but I have found that Brownell's Crown serving is better especially on recurve models. I had a Horton legacy that I had over 800 shoots before it needed to replace and over 1600 on my Horton Hunter 175. I have reserved my Parker Safari 150 once since last year and have even more shoots on it. Recurve models will need more attention than compounds due to holding weight

#8 Cossack

Cossack

Incurable Tinkerer

• Members
  • 3,475 posts
  • LocationNo MN

Posted 04 November 2008 - 12:58 PM

"How do you master Halo."

Boo's a professional string maker, so if he told ya...he'd have to kill you! Actually, he gets it on tight, very tight.

#9 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:16 PM

my old aluminum serving jigs because I was winding the center servings so tight they collapsed:D

#10 Boo

Boo

• Members
  • 922 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 07:32 PM

Tom, you are heading in the right direction when you crank the Cavalier the way you need to. But there's more to know.

#11 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:25 PM

"learnin":D I'm also doing some "stuff" with the relatively heavy draw weight SCM Twinbow II .......sorry, I forgot this is an Excal thread:D

#12 Boo

Boo

• Members
  • 922 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:43 PM

Here's a neat trick Tom. When you make a new string the threads are full of wax. That wax prevents you from laying down the serving tight enough to prevent separation. Two ways of dealing with that. One way is to serve it as tight as you can without back serving and cutting your serving material. Then remove the serving and serve it again but this time for good. Another way works if you can stretch the string with enough tension that exceeds what the bow puts on the string. All you do is rub the string with your hand and get it hot enough for the wax to melt and then soak it up with a rag, then serve the string. Of course all this is for a new string and not necessary for a reserve.
I go through quite a few Cavalier Pro serving tools because the cross pins break. I've bought the Spigarelli serving too and it works well and I do not see anything breaking yet. I did swap the tension knob for a wing nut and I think I see some modifications in the future.
Using smaller diameter serving is a good crutch(for lack of better words) for those who cannot serve as well as I do so it's not a bad option. The smaller diameter serving digs in deeper and allows the latches to sit on top of more than one serving wrap at a time. Servings materials that do not lay flat do better in this respect.

Edited by Boo, 05 November 2008 - 12:23 AM.

• Joe171 ( DR FRANKENBOW ) likes this

#13 markvan

markvan

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:39 PM

Boo,

Just wondering, what do you charge for a new string?

I have an older Excal Excocet. I am constantly fighting with the serving. I cannot get them to last. Having a string that will last more than a few shots without re-adjusting the serving would be nice..... Even still, even without separation, my servings in the past seem to have worn out faster than I thought would be reasonable. Certainly not 800 shots on a string.

Now that I think about it.... perhaps I twisted the string in the wrong direction when putting the new string on the bow... (never thought about twist direction before......) which would worsen a loose serving. Will have to check that....

Anyway, how much for a quality string?

#14 awshucks

awshucks

• Members
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:50 AM

"learnin":D I'm also doing some "stuff" with the relatively heavy draw weight SCM Twinbow II .......sorry, I forgot this is an Excal thread:D

Speaking of the TwinBow II, are you still planning on a report on your findings or did I miss it somewhere? Thanks!

#15 CHUCHIP

CHUCHIP

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • 574 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

I use clear halo.

Edited by CHUCHIP, 14 July 2012 - 06:06 PM.

#16 scootergoodwrench

scootergoodwrench

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:12 AM

upon reading this thread, I purchased some angel majestic .026 and re-served the string on my equinox. I got to say that i'm impressed so far. my original servings were only going 50-60 shots without seperating. The string that I re-served with angel majestic has more than 50 shots on it and looks like new still. Very good information here. Thanks to all for sharing.