View New Content Mark all as read |  

Aim point or scope with crosshairs

• Please log in to reply

#1 NotaVegetarian

NotaVegetarian

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:55 PM

I just put an aim point red dot site on a new weapon. I have never used this type of site before and am having a hard time getting used to it. Thinking of pulling it and going back to a scope with crosshairs. Anybody else have this issue?

Edited by NotaVegetarian, 09 June 2011 - 08:56 PM.

#2 Cossack

Cossack

Incurable Tinkerer

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  • LocationNo MN

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:36 AM

I just put an aim point red dot site on a new weapon. I have never used this type of site before and am having a hard time getting used to it. Thinking of pulling it and going back to a scope with crosshairs. Anybody else have this issue?

Yes. Tried several kinds and brands on crossbows, far too limited in range/precision for accurate shooting. Now have scopes on all my bows. BTW, I do use red dots on several 22 cal handguns for off hand target shooting out to about 20 yards.

#3 Guide Girl

Guide Girl

Obsessed Huntress

• Members
  • 5,633 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:16 PM

Single dot scopes are great. Triple dots-throw it in the trash and start over, in my opinion. Crosshairs are always good especially combined with the new fandangled illuminated crosshairs. THose have it all for daylight, low light and no light. We've come a long way since peep & pin.

#4 peter nap

peter nap

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:06 PM

I tried Red Dots and first, I couldn't get used to them and second, they all jarred loose eventually and developed a floating zero.

I started using a Leupold Shotgun/Muzzle loader scope with a single crosshair and two dots.

I love it after several thousand shots and three seasons. I still haven't managed to destroy it and if I do....I just send it back to Leupold.

Just in case though, I have a spare scope mounted on a spare crossbow.

#5 NotaVegetarian

NotaVegetarian

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:49 AM

Yeppers had a bunch of hogs get by me this weekend because of this red dot, its coming off tonight. Going to put a scope on here. Thanks for the notes.

#6 firemedic396

firemedic396

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:09 AM

If you have always done well with crosshair scopes and your accurate with them, them I wouldn't change to a dot scope. Each has their good points but I prefer the crosshairs with yardage markers.

#7 blackoak

blackoak

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:41 PM

If you have always done well with crosshair scopes and your accurate with them, them I wouldn't change to a dot scope. Each has their good points but I prefer the crosshairs with yardage markers.

I couldn't use a red scope do to my eye sight. I would see double dots even with my glasses. Switched to a multi cross hair scope without problems.

#8 NotaVegetarian

NotaVegetarian

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:02 PM

Thought it was a good idea, it may work for some , or even the right setup and purpose for me. Well maybe I am just too old and set in my ways to adapt to something different??

#9 tracker1

tracker1

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:07 PM

i have used red dots for years and they worked great. my problem is when i'm in a tree looking down in low light the deer blend to good with the ground. i have had a leupold on for the last 5 yrs and it has worked great.