View New Content Mark all as read |  

How long on average does a string last

• Please log in to reply

#1 FK405

FK405

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 06:51 PM

Gonna take my new Parker enforcer to the range for the first time this week. About how many shots on average will my factory installed string last before it needs replacement. Keep in mind that I will be waxing the string and keeping the rail lubricated about every 15 shots.

#2 vh64

vh64

• Members
  • 433 posts
  • Locationnortheastern Michigan

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:16 PM

The string and cables on most crossbows are extremely strong usually it's the stretching of these is why after 2-3 years they want you to replace them the draw weight drops and performance changes. My suggestion is over time pay attention to how it's shooting now and when you notice enough change in performance that you don't like then replace them. But no longer than the time the manfacturer puts as a limit. But performance may change before that so get a good feel for how its performong . Now the serving is a whole different thing. The serving will not even come close to matching the string life. Be careful not to over lube you barrel deck as it may cause serving problems even faster. Stay re.al close to what the man
ufacturer suggests. Vince

#3 SEW

SEW

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:37 PM

My string, cable, and serving lasted nearly 2 years and appx 2400 shots(2386 exactly) when replaced on my Strykeforce. Yes, they were stretched. I did wax and lug well, as you can imagine. I have gone over 2,000 shots on my Parker Saf Mag #175 and the string and cable are still good. Changed previous set at appx 2,500 shots. I change my limbs more often on my Parker than my string.

#4 Cossack

Cossack

Incurable Tinkerer

• Members
  • 3,595 posts
  • LocationNo MN

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:01 PM

Lot of factors going into string life: bow draw weight, how well the string is maintained, type of wax and deck lube used, the conditions under which it's ued and, most of all, how smooth and burr-free the hooks are., I re serve mine not more than 3 times, doing so when the serving shows wear, but not so much that the string strands themselves are affected, then replacethe string.

Edited by Cossack, 04 July 2011 - 07:31 AM.

#5 Johnie H

Johnie H

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:58 AM

The string and cables on most crossbows are extremely strong usually it's the stretching of these is why after 2-3 years they want you to replace them the draw weight drops and performance changes. My suggestion is over time pay attention to how it's shooting now and when you notice enough change in performance that you don't like then replace them. But no longer than the time the manfacturer puts as a limit. But performance may change before that so get a good feel for how its performong . Now the serving is a whole different thing. The serving will not even come close to matching the string life. Be careful not to over lube you barrel deck as it may cause serving problems even faster. Stay re.al close to what the man
ufacturer suggests. Vince

Can't you give the string a couple twists to make up for the stretch?

#6 vh64

vh64

• Members
  • 433 posts
  • Locationnortheastern Michigan

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:41 AM

Johnie h on my Excalibur yes i Can easily twist my string but on my tenpoint I don't have a press so if I someone put it in a press I'm going to have everything changed. If I had a press of my own I would try it.